Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Your MCU1 Model X Still on 2019.40.2.1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was stuck on 2019.40.2.1 for six weeks. Just updated to 2020.4 this evening. Hurray! What's new:
Additional vehicle information.
Additional voice commands.
Text messaging support.
Camp mode while parked.
Voice keyboard.
Save dashcam clips by honking horn.
Driver profiles save add'l nav settings.
Teslas speak Danish now.
We can play backgammon.
What car configuration do you have?

My end of 2017 model X has been stuck on 2019.40.2.1 for almost 3 weeks now. I had generally been on the cutting edge of getting new updates, as I was an early purchaser of FSD and have my software setting at Advanced. From Teslafi I’ve noticed for quite awhile that there have been 23% of the Teslafi S/X population still on this version. Is it us MCU 1 folks?

Trying to decide whether to reach out to Tesla to get an update pushed to the car before a long trip I have coming up.

Mine is on 40.2.1.

Let us know if you have any luck with the push... I’m beginning to think there is something wrong with the software package I’m currently on as it told me I had a firmware update in waiting, and then disappeared.

They said that nothing was wrong.

Thirty minutes later, my car told me that there was an update ready to download. After installing it, one day later, my car told me that there was another update ready to download.

Nothing wrong, my @$$.

It seems pretty clear that if your car downloads an update that gets subsequently pulled before you have a chance to actually install that update, your car ends up in a limbo state, where your car refuses to download a new update because it has one ready to install, and can't install that update because it got pulled. The only way to get your car out of this state appears to be to ask them to check on it. And whatever magic they do seems to cause the car to nuke the already-downloaded firmware and start looking for updates again.

I've seen this behavior more than once, so at this point, the pattern is pretty glaringly obvious, and is clearly a bug.

2018 MX MCU1, HW2.5. Still stuck on 2019.40.2.1. it is very frustrating. Waiting for an update.

totally feel your pain. Especially being a FSD purchaser to be on the leading side of updates.

Feature-wise? Some voice control improvements, and supposedly stop sign detection (with AP2.5, anyway). Also, it actually showed the release notes immediately (no multi-minute wait) for the first time since late 2018. Whether that improvement is reproducible or not, I couldn't say. :)

great thanks for the info!