Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is your regen always set to high?

Is your regen always set to high?

• Yes, 100% of the time

Votes: 109 87.9%
  • No, depends on circumstances

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • No, it’s always set to low

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

halfricanguy

Model 3 - LR RWD - MSM
Apr 18, 2018
NC, USA
If I decelerate significantly, but not enough for the brake lights to come on, I get paranoid that the driver behind me is not going to realize I’m slowing down and smash right into me. Especially in bumper to bumper traffic. I sometimes set regen to low during these times, so that I have more control over the brake lights.

Anyone else change their setting due to road or weather conditions? I can potentially see setting it to low would be beneficial in the snow.

• Disagree
Reactions: Trevor B
I keep mine on Low all the time but not due to road conditions. I didn't enjoy going back and forth between the 3 and the Outback and having such a different driving dynamic. If I didn't have to regularly drive an ICE vehicle I would otherwise keep it on all the time.

Not until they reach that threshold that the car determines the brake lights should come on. If they come on every time during regen, the brake lights would come on every time you slightly lift off the pedal, which doesn’t happen.

But they come on when you're slowing down enough to warrant them. I still don't understand your concerns. When you lift off the throttle in any car it slows down.

Doesn't regenerative braking get turned off automatically at freezing temperatures (because of the possibility of encountering ice)?

Not exactly. In cold weather regen will be limited until the battery pack warms up. Once the pack is warm, regen is fully enabled no matter the road conditions. You have to manually turn it to low if you want that in snow/ice.

It's on "normal"… there's no "high" setting, at least on the RWD models. If there were, I'd use it.

I believe its Standard (High) and Low (Low) in all Model 3s.

Additionally, if you're close to a full charge, regen is severely limited to almost completely disabled. I left a charge at 100% SOC and I only about 95% of my regen (there must've been like 20+ dots) was gone.

First off, there is no "high" setting. There is Normal and there is Low. :p

Not until they reach that threshold that the car determines the brake lights should come on. If they come on every time during regen, the brake lights would come on every time you slightly lift off the pedal, which doesn’t happen.

Then setting it to Low regen doesn't avert this, right? It may change when it happens but if anything it'll be happening more often, as the Low regen will continue to slow the vehicle but less often that it will trigger the brake lights coming on.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I believe its Standard (High) and Low (Low) in all Model 3s.
"Normal" is the word the UI uses. Because it is considered normal on a Tesla.

Additionally, if you're close to a full charge, regen is severely limited to almost completely disabled. I left a charge at 100% SOC and I only about 95% of my regen (there must've been like 20+ dots) was gone.
This is true, somewhere around 85% SOC the dots start happening. There are so few then that most of the time you won't notice any effect. As your SOC rises the number of dots increases and the strength of the regen drops until it's near unnoticeable at 100%.

Also ambient temperature can have an impact, as a colder battery won't be able to accept charge as fast so regen is limited then, too. Plus it appears that Tesla curbs regen braking when ambient temp is low enough that the road could be icy. Very active automatic regen + snow/ice isn't good for handling.