Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issue with climate turning itself on during night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title says. The car is only just over two weeks old and recently in the last couple of days the climate has come on somehow (car isn’t being driven). By itself. It must have been running for ages as the app sent me a notification saying the climate has been running for an extended period of time.

has anyone else had this issue. Car was plugged in so it must have been using the electric from the wall charger ?

Just checked. None of the doors are open or left partially closed. Climate inside the car is set to off and schedule is turned off. This has happened for the last three days. Never happened initially. I think it’s been funny since the software update.

I’ll try a factory reset

Just checked. None of the doors are open or left partially closed. Climate inside the car is set to off and schedule is turned off. This has happened for the last three days. Never happened initially. I think it’s been funny since the software update.

I’ll try a factory reset
Before you do a factory reset try just doing a reboot. Hold the 2 steering wheel buttons down until the screen reboots. Another option is a "hard reboot" which requires to first disconnect the 12v and then disconnect the HV under the rear passenger seat. Then after 5 minutes reverse the process and connect the HV and then the 12v. Both of those options will preserve any custom settings, etc, you have compared to doing a factory reset.

Before you do a factory reset try just doing a reboot. Hold the 2 steering wheel buttons down until the screen reboots. Another option is a "hard reboot" which requires to first disconnect the 12v and then disconnect the HV under the rear passenger seat. Then after 5 minutes reverse the process and connect the HV and then the 12v. Both of those options will preserve any custom settings, etc, you have compared to doing a factory reset.
If you're doing a 'hard reboot' then you don't disconnect the 12v first as you need to power the car down on the screen and then disconnect the HV battery at the penthouse connector 'after' the contactors have opened. The 12v is disconnected last and reconnected last. You always isolate the car from the HV battery before doing anything else.

I believe someone else had this issue - I believe it was potentially something to do with accidental triggering of features when using an Apple watch.

[edit] Give this thread a look Climate has been on a long while!
I had this problem of the climate turning on after I had parked the car in the garage and indeed, I think it was potentially related to the Apple Watch App I had started using. Both the Watch App and Tesla have had multiple updates since I last had the problem some months ago, but maybe I am just a bit more careful when using the App these days. Not really sure what the cause was but it has not been a recurrent problem and hasn't happened for a long time now.

If you're doing a 'hard reboot' then you don't disconnect the 12v first as you need to power the car down on the screen and then disconnect the HV battery at the penthouse connector 'after' the contactors have opened. The 12v is disconnected last and reconnected last. You always isolate the car from the HV battery before doing anything else.
WRONG. See here:

Tesla Model 3 Hard Reset | Mountain Pass Performance

The definitive guide to RESET on Tesla Model 3

Vendor - How To: Perform Hard Reset on Tesla Model 3

• Disagree
Reactions: Mr H
I’ve had this too. Check your scheduled charging/scheduled departure settings. The settings are not at all intuitive. You can easily end up with scheduled departure set without knowing it. Mine was preconditioning in the early hours. Make sure scheduled departure is definitely toggled off.

Reactions: Cnixon
RIGHT - I believe the info i received from a Tesla Tech not some third party on the internet
LOL, ok. To each his own, but @MountainPass is a very trusted name in the Tesla world and definitely know what they are talking about. Many of the Tesla SC techs are just out of high school and I find I often know more than them when I dive deep into technical discussions with them having owned Tesla's since 2012. Looks like you joined in 2020 so you are new to the Tesla world.

Looks like you joined in 2020 so you are new to the Tesla world.

Ouch ... whatever the outcome of this dispute you'll find that Mr H is not your average "opinion without foundation" guy! He works with Tesla's in a professional capacity and is a trusted trader on this forum ... as I'm sure he'll let you know!

The validity of Tesla techs' advice has certainly been found to be questionable in the past, as you say. It will be interesting if a definitive answer can be obtained on this one.

As the title says. The car is only just over two weeks old and recently in the last couple of days the climate has come on somehow (car isn’t being driven). By itself. It must have been running for ages as the app sent me a notification saying the climate has been running for an extended period of time.

has anyone else had this issue. Car was plugged in so it must have been using the electric from the wall charger ?
I own a Tesla model 3 and I have the same problem. The car turns on the climate system without receiving a command. Often control is on for four hours before it shuts off. I received the information on my iPhone. I need an answer how to keep the car asleep. Thanks

I own a Tesla model 3 and I have the same problem. The car turns on the climate system without receiving a command. Often control is on for four hours before it shuts off. I received the information on my iPhone. I need an answer how to keep the car asleep. Thanks
have you followed the advice on this thread?
1) double button reboot
2) if you have the watch app get rid of it ( for now)
3) change your password to rule out any third party apps or others in your family who might have access

If you do all of that and you are still having a problem I suggest you raise a service request but note the exact ( as possible) times that it happens since Tesla will want to check your cars logs probably.

edit
also I assume you do not have the car set on scheduled departure by mistake because that would also do it?

I once "pocket dialed" the HVAC to come on when I left the Tesla app running. This was in winter and it used up 30% of my charge! Now I always close the Tesla app down after using it, just to be on the safe side...