Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Issues with Tesla app on iPhone 12

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since upgrading to the iPhone 12 Pro I'm unable to wake the car up over cellular and get a "Network Timeout". The app works perfectly when I switch over to WiFi, so this is cellular only (AT&T).

I've confirmed Cellular Data is on (see below), and tried this on 5G Only, LTE Only, and 5G Auto -- no change. I've tried resetting phone, and deleting/reinstalling app -- also no luck.

I've seen at least two other people report this on the TeslaMotors reddit, so I'm guessing it's not a widespread problem but not unique to me either. Curious if anyone is seeing the same thing or has more info.

4ZGIEgY.jpg

KE9ZkBe.jpg

iPhone 12 on TMobile here with no issues. Have you tried things like rebooting your phone, reinstalling the app, and/or logging out and back in to the app?

Yes to all the above, including resetting carrier settings. From what I see on Reddit the people having problems are on AT&T like myself. Another T-Mo user reported being unaffected. When I put my SIM back in my old phone and try the Tesla app it works perfectly.

I had a network timeout issue with ATT on my iphone 11 (not 12), on 10/23/20 that lasted through reboots of the app, car, etc. I had to delete the tesla app from my phone completely, and re install it to fix the issue. That DID fix the issue, though. Sounds like it did not, for the OP. Deleting the app ment I had to go and re setup the phone as key for my car (model 3) and bluetooth to the car for music etc, as well.

Just chiming in because I experienced something similar, but the phone was an iPhone 11 not 12, but the carrier was ATT so not sure if the phone itself is the issue.

Reactions: mswlogo
I have the same problem, worked fine since I upgraded the phone yesterday, but today after car updated to 40.8 app will never connect to car and always times out.

Reboot, delete, reinstall does not work. Reinstall it connects once then never connects again.

I’m in 12 pro and AT&T as well.

Been a while since they updated app so sure it’s some incompatibility problem with new phones.

Unfortunately I still haven't found a solution. Tesla's app support is non-existent, and AT&T's support would be an exercise in frustration and futility. So no clue how to even submit the bug at this point.

Hmm let me know if you find anything other work around. Looks like we’re both stuck.

Did your car do an update recently?

EDIT: I can’t log into Tesla account in the phone either...saying to many redirects occurred. Very weird.

Last edited:
Hmm let me know if you find anything other work around. Looks like we’re both stuck.

Did your car do an update recently?

EDIT: I can’t log into Tesla account in the phone either...saying to many redirects occurred. Very weird.

I did, but I had updated to 40.8 prior to upgrading the phone. I also swapped my SIM back into my iPhone 11 and it connected perfectly fine over cellular. Back into the 12 Pro, same issue.

One weird thing that has since happened, and maybe it was due to the SIM swap, but an hour or so after I put my SIM back in the 12 Pro I was "downgraded" to LTE. Meaning I only get LTE (well "5Ge"), and in the Cellular settings I can only switch between LTE and 4G (no 5G/5G Auto/LTE option). Now that I'm on 5Ge, it works on the 12 Pro over cellular.

So this is even more evidence I think of it being AT&T. When I had 5G capability on the 12 Pro and manually switched over to LTE it still didn't work. But now that I'm forced to be on LTE, and the network doesn't see my device as "5G capable", it's working.

Infuriating, especially since I know this is well beyond any Tier 1 customer support. Anyone have a hook up with an AT&T network engineer? :D

I think it’s with the App. They probably hardwired some type of network name for AT&T into the app and the app does not understand the new “5G” and fails to connect.

Does not make sense why not everyone else on an iPhone 12 and AT&T is not seeing the same issue though.

I think it’s with the App. They probably hardwired some type of network name for AT&T into the app and the app does not understand the new “5G” and fails to connect.

Does not make sense why not everyone else on an iPhone 12 and AT&T is not seeing the same issue though.
I have a new iPhone 12 using AT&T. It connects to my Model S and my Model 3, both using Wi-Fi and cellular. The cellular works to connect when it says "5GE". I'm using version 3.10.8 of the Tesla app. The Model 3 is on 40.8 and the Model S is on 36.3.1.

As I mentioned earlier, I had to log in to my Tesla account again after I moved to the new iPhone,

I have a new iPhone 12 using AT&T. It connects to my Model S and my Model 3, both using Wi-Fi and cellular. The cellular works to connect when it says "5GE". I'm using version 3.10.8 of the Tesla app. The Model 3 is on 40.8 and the Model S is on 36.3.1.

As I mentioned earlier, I had to log in to my Tesla account again after I moved to the new iPhone,

Yea 5Ge is still LTE, does it connect when its straight up 5G?