Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this sucks. I've found a second issue. I'm most of the way through this install and I'm wondering if I should remove the hitch and bail out or not.

I removed the lower matte plastic from the actual bumper skin and loosely installed the bumper skin. I just wanted to check the fit before I start cutting plastic. I've found that the far outside edges of the hitch touch the inside of the shiny black plastic in the lower valance. From the outside, you can see the hitch poking out the plastic a bit. This is not good.

I can grind down the edges of the hitch, but I imagine Torklift won't like that.

Hey GarrickS,

We apologize that you ran into some difficulty while installing your hitch. We have installed the EcoHitch on the Model S refresh without issue and have not seen this issue before while working with the refresh. I am glad you were able to speak with one of our tech support professionals this morning to work on a solution, please call Jordan back so we can continue to work with you if you have any questions: 800-246-8132.

I just took my car to Torklift this past weekend and had a great, professional experience with it all. You do, in fact have to cut into the shiny part of the bumper. Already used it with my bike rack yesterday and it works amazingly well, aside from reversing, and hearing the constant beep from the sensors. I would turn off the sound when in use.

IMG_4496.JPG
IMG_4495.JPG
IMG_4494.JPG
IMG_4493.JPG

Thanks for posting the pictures, @rolson1011. I believe your lower valance is pre-refresh? That little shelf along the bottom edge has the appearance of the ends rolling down under the car. On my car, that little shelf is wider, running almost the width of the car going all the way across.

To be clear, here are some pics I found. This is the pre-refresh: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2929/14381600002_bbfc217643_h.jpg and the post-refresh style: http://www.teslacentral.com/sites/t...el-s-2016-white-rear-render.jpg?itok=9tuAZhdI

GarrickS,

We understand your concern with installing the hitch. We actually had a Model S refresh in our shop today and was able to confirm fitment for an EcoHitch install. I attached photos to this post for you to take a look at. There is also a live video from today on our Facebook page of a partial install of the EcoHitch. In the installation, the only change is the placement of the opening for the EcoHitch which has moved a little to the right. It won’t effect the look of your car when the hitch is not in use and the receiver is removed. Our General Manager Jonny would like to give you a call to help alleviate any further concerns or questions that you still have about installing the EcoHitch on your refreshed Model S. If you would PM us your number, we’ll make sure he contacts you.

IMG_0328.JPG
IMG_0329.JPG
IMG_0330.JPG
IMG_0331.JPG

I got the hitch installed today, but I had to grind off some material off the pointy ends of the hitch. I used some red spray paint inside the bumper to find where it was touching the hitch. That worked out well. In the last test I could see that it was no longer touching and I finished it off with a bit black paint. The black paint matches perfectly... noone would ever know it had minor surgery.

Static pics... Hitch is bolted on

Google photo album with pics and video. I think the world can see this. Let me know if there are problems. https://goo.gl/photos/KdnjoWtyRjjQySJW6

The last problem is the big hole you have to cut in the bottom of the plastic. The template doesn't work on refresh bumpers. I cut the smallest possible hole needed to clear the bolt. However, now I can't get through my driveway with the hitch installed!

Side note, I'm a god damn pro at removing and installing that bumper skin now! I could probably do the whole job in 45 minutes now.

Last edited:
GarrickS,

We’re happy to hear that the EcoHitch has been successfully installed on your Model S and you’re now a pro bumper remover. We’ll make sure to send your photos to our engineering team to see what adjustments can be made to the design. The template that came with the EcoHitch will still work with the refresh bumper. As we said earlier and show in a photo, the cutout is the same it just moves to the right slightly. Let us know if you have any further questions, we’re happy to help! If you are willing, would you mind PMing me a shipping address for you? I have something I would like to send you.

Same issue on the X right?

The hitch on the X is installed by Tesla and so there's an expectation that they should support it. On the S there's no reason to expect them to support aftermarket modifications. I realize there's a common software platform, but things aren't necessarily calibrated identically and on the S they may presume an unobstructed view from the rear view camera.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe