Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It was fun while it lasted! FWD issue after a week of ownership.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had the X for a week and the driver's side falcon wing door failed. It wouldn't open or acknowledge that it was shut. This was challenging as I had to get my toddler from her car seat from the opposite side - at 9 months pregnant. I was able to contact roadside assistance who made an appointment for service at my local service centre.

On the way to the appointment (after about 45 minutes of driving) the FWD suddenly popped open about 4-5" and after pulling over I was now able to open the FWD all the way, but it still wouldn't latch shut (toddler was not in the car!) Nothing appeared out of the ordinary; there was nothing blocking the latch or the doors. The car had been garaged all night so there wasn't any ice build-up. It was very cold out, but again, no visible moisture on the car. I made it to the service centre without further issue. I don't believe they even took a look at the car yesterday. I did get a rental car, and that part was seamless.

I asked for an update at the end of the day yesterday and was told they needed to keep it overnight to "replicate the problem and diagnose it." I was a little frustrated that they had it all day but had not yet even taken it in. It's not a complex problem to replicate it: the door won't shut! LOL I offered to drive down there and replicate it a dozen times for them in the space of a minute. They didn't appreciate the sarcasm.

I believe the issue to be the locking mechanism, as I can hear the motors working to open the door, and when it was trying to open originally, there was slight movement up top, but none at the bottom where it latches. And that fits with the door suddenly opening, as if the stuck latch finally released. The car signalled that there was an obstacle in the way when the door wouldn't open, and no solution to open the door through other means worked. The car seat was in the way of the manual latch by the speaker, and that wasn't tried as I couldn't unlatch the car seat with the door stuck shut, and especially so at my very pregnant state. I drove for over an hour with the blasted "do not drive" chime going - and was mightily irritated by the time I got to Tesla for service from the incessant chiming.

So after ordering the car in October, having it delayed until January, and finally getting it Jan 31, we had it 8 days before it needed to be turned in for a major malfunction, and huge safety issue. Let's see what today brings.

Hi 3s-a-charm!

Actually there is something worse... Being the Service writer assigned to an irritated, gravid customer...

Thank you very much

Fury

The first thing I did when I arrived was warn the SA that I was an irritated very pregnant woman. He said, half-seriously, "So I should tread carefully?" I confirmed that that was indeed his best course of action. ;-)

hhhm October order-Jan delivery...that's not bad for a custom order particularly since some (me) waited for years.

Sorry to hear about FWD safety issue.....had that early too but was early production and figured bugs were worked out.

Tesla will fix that to your satisfaction....no quarter panel noise issues? Be thankful for that.....

hhhm October order-Jan delivery...that's not bad for a custom order particularly since some (me) waited for years.

Sorry to hear about FWD safety issue.....had that early too but was early production and figured bugs were worked out.

Tesla will fix that to your satisfaction....no quarter panel noise issues? Be thankful for that.....

Yes I get that some waited longer. I was given a delivery date of early December when I placed the order. It wasn't as delayed as some, but still delayed.

So, no loaners from that SC?! Rentals seem a bit much. I thought they always gave you *something*, Tesla, or not.

To be clear, Tesla arranged the car rental. The first car that showed up was an Audi A3 that the SA declined to give to me as there had been a recall on it, which was thoughtful. The second car that came was a BMX 328i that I turned in at the end of the day because it was too small and reeked of pot, and didn't have snow tires and slid all over the place. Last night I got a Nissan Pathfinder which is just fine for now. Big enough for my family, and has decent enough traction for my country address.

To be clear, Tesla arranged the car rental. The first car that showed up was an Audi A3 that the SA declined to give to me as there had been a recall on it, which was thoughtful. The second car that came was a BMX 328i that I turned in at the end of the day because it was too small and reeked of pot, and didn't have snow tires and slid all over the place. Last night I got a Nissan Pathfinder which is just fine for now. Big enough for my family, and has decent enough traction for my country address.
Ah, at least they took care of it for you, that's a different story. I remember when all some other 'luxury' brands would do was walk you over to the internal Enterprise counter... <shudder>

Hope you get things sorted quickly!

Update: My car is ready to come home. There were a few things that contributed to the door failure:

1) "Removed left rear cinch motor and it was found to be internally seized. Replaced left rear cinch motor and latch assembly"
2) "Replaced left rear ultrasonic door sensor."
3) "Left ultrasonic sensor loose" (these are two entries, not sure if they refer to the same sensor, or different sensors)

I also got a windshield wiper fluid top-up so it's a win!

I am impressed that the parts were on hand and the repair was done reasonably quickly. Happy to have her home again!

Update: My car is ready to come home. There were a few things that contributed to the door failure:

1) "Removed left rear cinch motor and it was found to be internally seized. Replaced left rear cinch motor and latch assembly"
2) "Replaced left rear ultrasonic door sensor."
3) "Left ultrasonic sensor loose" (these are two entries, not sure if they refer to the same sensor, or different sensors)

I also got a windshield wiper fluid top-up so it's a win!

I am impressed that the parts were on hand and the repair was done reasonably quickly. Happy to have her home again!
I think it's a win-win..for you and Tesla. Within 48 hours of the incident, they got your car in and fixed the issue to your satisfaction.