Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It would be nice if EAP features can be a la carte...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, you’re saying if you were responsible for Tesla’s P&L you would prefer to have $0 revenue as opposed to $2000 even though the cost of the hardware has already been incurred? Or even better, you would reject recurring revenue stream from as-needed or incidental usage of the EAP feature?

It clearly depends on the % of folks paying $5000. Adding a $2000 price point will reduce the number paying $5000. Its all a % game.

Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 (DVD) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07615CVB1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_2c0.BbESFASSC

Now you’re just trolling for the sake of trolling.
Well sure, from another vendor. But you can’t go to Ford and ask them to provide certain EAP features for your Tesla.

Not trolling at all. (That’s the common response when someone doesn’t like an answer). Just pointing out that that is Tesla’s business model. You may not like it, but it is what it is.

My driving pattern doesn’t justify EAP at its current price point, however but I’d purchase TACC at a reduce price in a second.
I haven’t had a single trip where Guided NAV is an option.
My wife’s mid level Ford Explorer came with TACC...

So, you’re saying if you were responsible for Tesla’s P&L you would prefer to have $0 revenue as opposed to $2000 even though the cost of the hardware has already been incurred? Or even better, you would reject recurring revenue stream from as-needed or incidental usage of the EAP feature?

More like they’ve probably figured out what they need in the way of capital to cover costs for ongoing development of all of the software for EAP they are doing to make the Tesla they want to produce, and allowing people to pick and choose features, instead of as a package, won’t achieve that goal. Do you really think they haven’t weighed these options? And remember they only just became profitable so if they thought splitting features apart in EAP made economic sense for them I would think they would have done so. Just like they could have offered sunroofs and vented seating and such to add $s to ones car price. It just doesn’t work for them now so they’ve forgoed those options, and paired down what can be custom ordered.

Last edited:
Reactions: whatthe2
More like they’ve probably figured out what they need in the way of capital to cover costs for development of all of the software for EAP they are doing to make the Tesla they want to produce, and allowing people to pick and choose features, instead of as a package, won’t achieve that goal. Do you really think they haven’t weighed these options? And remember they only just became profitable so if they thought splitting features apart in EAP made economic sense for them I would think they would have done so.
That. And Tesla isn’t in the business of micro-customizing orders. They have a very small set of options they offer. It isn’t in their DNA to offer sub-sets of features.

Did it come with a long range electric drive train with a pretty quick 0-60 time?

Sure, the pricing model will evolve over time. Right now, it gets them the highest ROI. It’s simply a business decision.

No but its $20000 less and has a feature that my much more expensive doesn't have. Its also only "software" I get a business decision how ever for TACC its a bad one.

Reactions: Ciditad
It clearly depends on the % of folks paying $5000. Adding a $2000 price point will reduce the number paying $5000. Its all a % game.

Good point. However, I still think a slightly different sales model would optimize revenue AND make more customers happier. This is just software after all, and the revenue model is much easier to experiment or customize than say paint color after the fact.

Good point. However, I still think a slightly different sales model would optimize revenue AND make more customers happier. This is just software after all, and the revenue model is much easier to experiment or customize than say paint color after the fact.

Please stop with the "just software".

Microsoft Windows is "just software". Microsoft Office is "just software". None of those are free, nor should they be. Microsoft is one of the larger companies in the world.

Oracle charges significantly more for "just software" when it is run on larger/faster machines. Same for SAP. Both of those companies are "just software" companies. Ok, they venture into services too, but all related to their software.

Sure, it makes playing with pricing models easy, but what happens if they offer TACC for $2k and people that paid for EAP start complaining and want a refund? Nothing is ever easy. Or, they charge $3.5k and people complain it isn't worth it and they shouldn't bother. More bad press. Again, nothing is easy.

When people pick that car without the EV powertrain or other competitive EVs come to the market, then it will change. Right now they have first leader position and they can price for optimal return. They know a lot more about the sales numbers than we know.

Microsoft Windows is "just software". Microsoft Office is "just software". None of those are free, nor should they be. Microsoft is one of the larger companies in the world.

Oracle charges significantly more for "just software" when it is run on larger/faster machines. Same for SAP. Both of those companies are "just software" companies. Ok, they venture into services too, but all related to their software.

Sure, it makes playing with pricing models easy, but what happens if they offer TACC for $2k and people that paid for EAP start complaining and want a refund? Nothing is ever easy. Or, they charge $3.5k and people complain it isn't worth it and they shouldn't bother. More bad press. Again, nothing is easy.

When people pick that car without the EV powertrain or other competitive EVs come to the market, then it will change. Right now they have first leader position and they can price for optimal return. They know a lot more about the sales numbers than we know.

No one is asking to get TACC for free like you are implying. However TACC IS moving into their competitors lower packages. When EAP was first released years ago it made sense to include it the Tesla EAP because they one of the few able to do it. Now just about everyone can.

Oracle doesn't sell to consumers only enterprise, that's why their prices are absurd. MS practically gives away the OS now. Office moving to subscriptions for all at consumer level pricing. Again I'm not asking for anything for free. I'd pay 1500 or so for TACC. I just have very little need for EAP with my current driving habits. I've not had a single NAV route even offer me Assisted NAV since being on the trial. :(

I don't agree, but my perspective is from years of consumer electronics and software marketing & sales so I wouldn't have used B2B model as you described.

My point as a Tesla fan is that I want the company to succeed, and improving revenue through what I perceive to be an easier path than purely selling hardware is a low hanging fruit. This may not be the perfect example, but Apple hardware is simply a platform for their higher margin app and content revenue generation, and I see the mass market TM3 in a similar light where the hardware (the car) is the enabler of endless possibilities for software/feature revenue generation long after a car is sold. No other car company can do this (yet) and I still think there is a happy balance between the full EAP to a group of consumers vs limited set of features for a different sum of $$$.

Aside from the driving features, I would also pay for apps that will run on that beautiful big screen. How about paid streaming content? Media consumption while parked? Games via BT enabled controllers? The possibilities are almost endless. The MOST important part is: LOTS of us are willing to pay.