Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Itching to pull the trigger

Buy without driving

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sat in a Tesla Model S at the showroom in Las Vegas two years ago. I had just retired and really considered getting one then. Just couldn't bring myself to do it.
I had just bought a Volt a year prior. I am averaging 228 mpg in it over the past three years but my aversion to using gas makes it unenjoyable to drive. It is a sickness. I don't like taking long road trips.
When the D models came out I really started getting the itch again. I could now drive in snow with confidence which would allow me to sell my Volt and my little AWD hatchback that I only use in snow.
I am going to get a 70D with only options being the roof and autopilot. While I guess I can afford to splurge more I am old enough that I remember my first house cost $54,500. I just can't get over spending more than that.
So enough background. Here is the question, finally.
Having sat in the car, having read nothing but rave reviews, being of average height and weight, do you think I can forgo the 3 hour round trip drive to Boston for a test drive?
Or is that crazy?

If you are retired, I would have only 1 concern. Ease of entry and exit. It's great once inside, but I find it's not the easiest car to get in and out of. If you are in fair health, it should be no problem, but if you or a significant other have knee, back, or other problems, you might should make sure you can get in and out okay first. Maybe you can find a friendly local with an S who could show it to you to make sure. I would show you my S if you were in my area. Though since you sat in one a couple of years ago, maybe you already know this is not a problem.

If you are retired, I would have only 1 concern. Ease of entry and exit. It's great once inside, but I find it's not the easiest car to get in and out of. If you are in fair health, it should be no problem, but if you or a significant other have knee, back, or other problems, you might should make sure you can get in and out okay first. Maybe you can find a friendly local with an S who could show it to you to make sure. I would show you my S if you were in my area. Though since you sat in one a couple of years ago, maybe you already know this is not a problem.

I was an air traffic controller, we get to retire "young". I am only 54 and cycle thousands of miles a year. No issues there, although my wife indicated this car is gonna have to keep me happy for longer than the loan. :) Who knows what my 60s will bring.

I echo the suggestion that a test drive would be fun and reassuring. Make a day of it. Enjoy yourself. Meet the Tesla people and enjoy the process. You'll come away from that having had a great day and even more convinced that you're making the right purchasing decision. And, in the infinitesimally remote chance that a test drive convinces you not to buy, you'll be doubly glad that you took the time.

Test drive a 70, 70D, and P90DL if possible. There's no way of knowing how the drive feels without a test drive. For us, the 70 was just fine and I couldn't even really tell a difference. Other people say they would rather drive a 70D than a P85. And others yet have said that if they have to drive a D, they won't buy another Tesla. It seems to matter a huge amount to some people, and the only way to find out what drive and battery options are best for you personally is to test drive.

I was an air traffic controller, we get to retire "young". I am only 54 and cycle thousands of miles a year. No issues there, although my wife indicated this car is gonna have to keep me happy for longer than the loan. :) Who knows what my 60s will bring.
As a current Air Traffic Controller, looking forward to the retirement date, but my Model S 85 (still to be delivered) will need to do the commute for a few years. I would suggest you take a test drive first, but agree once done you will not be holding back on the trigger.

I went from a Volt to an 85D myself for similar reasons. The one option I think you really need to re-consider is the Next-Gen seats. The base seats, in my opinion, are less comfortable than the Volt seats (which are also not the best). The Next-Gen seats are very comfortable. They wrap around you more and have better side bolstering and lumbar support. You can see the difference if you toggle between the two in the studio, but to really tell, you might have to visit a showroom.

I expect that I am in the extreme minority, but I purchased my S without ever having sat in one. I couldn't get to a Tesla store without a major 700 mile road trip. So, I did my homework on the car and hoped for the best. My "orientation" consisted of the truck drivers unloading the car in my local library parking lot, handing me the key fobs, and giving me some time to look the car over before I signed the delivery pad. That was it.

I suppose one nice thing about doing it this way was that I got to learn how the car drives and handles by myself and it was a pleasant surprise.

My 2¢.

OK the appointment is set up for Saturday at 4.
Thanks for the input.
The manager said that they only have the 90s in stock but they have the ability to set them to drive like a 70 so you can compare. That is a great idea.
I am not sure if they will have any in stock with standard seats. I imagine they trick their demos out.

OK the appointment is set up for Saturday at 4.
Thanks for the input.
The manager said that they only have the 90s in stock but they have the ability to set them to drive like a 70 so you can compare. That is a great idea.
I am not sure if they will have any in stock with standard seats. I imagine they trick their demos out.

You're probably right that they won't have any with standard seats. However, ask if they have any Certified Pre-owned vehicles, or if there's a service center nearby with loaners as those are all likely to have the old seats (even if they're leather covered).

As a current Air Traffic Controller, looking forward to the retirement date, but my Model S 85 (still to be delivered) will need to do the commute for a few years. I would suggest you take a test drive first, but agree once done you will not be holding back on the trigger.

Where you work brother? I was at Boston Center (or Centre as you would call it).
Worked my share of Speedbirds, London-JFK.