TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

It's Clean Air Day week 2020!

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by VanillaAir_UK, Oct 5, 2020.

1. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

upload_2020-10-5_14-11-2.png

Clean Air Day is just around the corner – this Thursday 8 October!

Clean Air Day is the UK's largest air pollution campaign which is organised by charity Global Action Plan. The campaign helps to drive a positive shift in public knowledge and action; and is a chance to find out more about air pollution, share information, and make the air cleaner and healthier for everyone.

It’s not too late to get involved. Here are all the amazing ways you can support this year’s campaign and play your part in reducing air pollution:

Increase your understanding about air pollution:

o Attend Clean Air Day LIVE, their first ever virtual event, which will be broadcast from the Clean Air Day website from 10am, 8 October.

o Calculate your impact on air pollution by using the UK’s first Personal Air Pollution Calculator and share your results.

o Read up on the most up-to-date information about air pollution on the Clean Air Hub.

Help drive engagement to the campaign by supporting on social media and sharing their free resources:

o Share the Clean Air for Schools Framework, a free online tool which offers schools bespoke actions for tackling air pollution with your local school or council.

o Check out and share their free Clean Air Day resources.

o Pledge to leave the car at home and walk or cycle instead; work from home or write to your politicians to tell them what you are doing to tackle air pollution and ask them to play their part.

2. Glan gluaisne

Glan gluaisne Supporting Member

Just tried out the personal air pollution calculator linked above:

Personal air pollution.jpg

My wife spotted it, and reckons I produce significantly more than 0% personal air pollution . . .

• Funny x 2
  3. VanillaAir_UK

Its heavily biased against use of Wood Burning Stove but I guess they are trying to make a point. Probably used ours less than handful of times last year so I took it out. Got 0% too. I'm guessing most people on here will too. Shame it doesn't mention gas appliances.

4. Fred2

Fred2 Member

Same here. No questions about the oil fuelled boiler chugging away all winter!

5. Dilly

Dilly Active Member

Not allowed to use our wood burner. Wife says it makes the house too hot
    I just wrap a blanket round me!

6. OneTinyFish

OneTinyFish Member

upload_2020-10-6_15-57-54.png

Oh, they don't like the wood burner. It's 0% without it.

7. Neilman

Neilman Member

I just tried the calculator based on when I was working in London many years ago driving a Volvo diesel - comes to 230%.

Since retiring and now changing the TM3 - comes to zero :)

• Like x 1
  8. LongRanger

LongRanger Active Member

What do you have to do to get exactly 100% ?

9. OneTinyFish

OneTinyFish Member

Start at zero and start increasing emissions - the calculator asks a few times about the number of adults sharing car rides or living at an address. Perhaps increase that. So, a wood burner plus a half dozen adults might be 100%.

10. LongRanger

LongRanger Active Member

Well I got 356% for having a wood burning stove. it didn’t ask me if I have a chainsaw, clearing saw, sit-on mower, flail mower, utility vehicle, 2 oil combi boilers or 12 farting sheep.

• Funny x 2
  11. Glan gluaisne

Glan gluaisne Supporting Member

Got to be the making of a few new verses for the "12 days of Christmas" there.

• Funny x 1
  12. VanillaAir_UK

• Like x 1
  13. Reddom

Reddom Member

Ubitricity and source London were doing free charging in London today for clean air day, ubitricity unlimited and SL unsurprisingly with limits, I managed to get 178mins of free SL charging though