Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's Model S Weekend at Tesla Santana Row 3/17 & 18 and new Model S Design Studio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You do realize that Tesla employs people who's jobs have nothing to do with ensuring that the Model S is delivered on time? They have people who's sole focus is to design the website. I do like the layout of their website, but I agree that they don't have enough up-to-date photos of the Model S. Could serve to attract more potential buyers

The web team may indeed want new pics but someone has to hire and pay for a new set of pictures. could be an expenses that Tesla does not justify for the sharp eyed TMC viewers.

Also the Betas are crisscrossing the world. To shoo them they would need to schedule a day to detail and a day to shoot them. Again, not important enough at this point to take away from personal car experiences.

FYI for Roadster owners attending the event, note from Tesla:

Want to make sure you aware. We have a charging solution for you.
You can park and charge at Tesla Corporate (on Deer Creek Road).
We will have shuttles running between there and Santana Row.

Thanks, Tesla!

I notice that the Fan Wheels are sucking on one side and blowing on the other. I wonder if this will be corrected in the production version? Can someone ask who is attending, or did we answer this previously??

I imagine that it helps to facilitate rotating tires. My current ride has different wheel sizes with directional tread pattern tires. Makes it impossible to rotate tires. Add to the equation that they are somewhat soft, low profiles (Michelin Pilot Sport 2) and that equals about $1600 every 10K miles.

In other words, I'm perfectly fine with the fan wheels sucking on one side and blowing on the other.

IMHO there are bigger fish to fry.

I like how they wrote "Beta Prototype Vehicle" on the doors. I'll be looking to see if they have a steering wheel that wasn't lifted from a Mercedes.

GG, I'm planning on being there at 10 again (dimsum plans changed to dinner). I'll be wearing my red Tesla polo and hope people don't think I'm an employee.

To put it into perspective, however, the Black's VIN is 21 while the Red's VIN is 44. Assuming the Black was made in September, just how recent is the Red?

I interviewed George Blankenship and the Model S/X Product Manager on video - both at length. Will post to YouTube. When I get back will post.

George said BOTH 43 and 44 rolled off the line yesterday!

He and prod. mgr both told me info I never heard or read before.

Russ iPhone

Could someone please ask this question: "What is the % complete of the latest VIN's?" Sounds like VIN 43 and 44 are latest, but please confirm. Here's to hoping it's either 99% or 100% representative of production.

dpeilow said:
After Geneva I thought the interior needs quite a bit more work. As someone said before, it's just not up there with the best European saloons. Little things like the door handles catching on the dash make me think wtf? Nevermind that they are a bit of a stretch to reach.

Good point. Could someone please check the inside door handle clearance on the red or white? I pointed that out during the factory tour and was assurred that issue would be addressed. If not, someone but a bug in Georges ear please.

Could someone please ask this question: "What is the % complete of the latest VIN's?" Sounds like VIN 43 and 44 are latest, but please confirm. Here's to hoping it's either 99% or 100% representative of production.

Prod. mgr. says interior is a "two tone" design when you go with tan or gray, and some people like it that way. He also said it was done this way because they don't have the production volumes to justify so many extra interior parts from vendors that have to be color-matched, etc. Exact quote captured on the video.

Model S Product mgr. (name in the video) told me the interior of the two new betas is representative of production. George told me "we listened, and are definitely going to offer a console as a Tesla accessory down the road" -- or words to that effect on the video.

Going to pick-up my 16 y/o son now and return to Santana Row. Will post interview videos, and 2 videos of Troy giving a "tech talk" on the Model X overnight...

Please keep your questions coming on this thread, and I will ask George and/or product manager if they are still there this evening. Product mgr. knows everything about S and X. He was in a jovial mood and spoke pretty freely this afternoon.

Asked George about the shiny silver strip under the doors. He says that is a chrome strip that is the edge of the door sill, and has something to do with the skateboard! Need to check video to confirm. I think it is there so you don't scuff the body paint door threshold. Noticed door threshold is body paint color, which will get scuffed. They need a chrome accessory plate to put over that.

Both new betas have latest flat panel software! I was able to open, adjust, and close the glass roof for the first time! It was awesome. Still no fabric shade yet... But you can see where it will go (the gap). Demo person told me turn-by-turn will be "Google Maps" based, not sure if that is correct. Will ask prod. mgr. tonight to confirm.

Product manager says part of his job is to predict what options customers will order. He says he reads this forum religiously, and keep the polls coming. They are awesome! Both he and George asked my handle.

The in-store Model S Design Center just has interior added to it. No pricing when you configure. More on that later from interview. Gotta run now to get my son and return to Tesla... Wife thinks I'm crazy!

When I was there 12pm to 2:30pm, there was local NBC media shooting the X and interviewing some people. The checked your name against a list in an iPad at the door, just like at the factory. X reservation time was 11am to 3pm.

Cheers,

Russ

Last edited:
I'm seriously looking forward to seeing a Model S in the flesh, but based on photos there's a few design quirks that I'm unsure about. Perhaps others on this forum can offer their opinions :-

Firstly, whenever I see a photo of the Model S side on, my eye catches upon the strip of something that’s running along the underside of the doors, and seems to make the doors look like they are an inch too big compared to the rest of the sill area. The lines of the 2009 prototypes look much cleaner with the body and sills integrated

Can anyone who has seen a Model S in the flesh describe what it is - is it a polished steel strip ? or body coloured ? Will it carry over to the final spec cars ?

Secondly, I'm hoping the choice of interior materials will match the quality level you get with BMWs / Audis in the same price bracket. Whilst interior options are very much a personal choice I personally don’t like the look of the "banana leaf veneer" used on some of the dashboards of the beta cars - it reminds me of the veneer plastered all over some furniture and arcade games from the mid 70's. Does anyone else feel this way ?!

I thought the banana leaf veneer is a big fail and would never order it. Glossy piano black veneer looks good, but will show lots of finger prints. I'm going with carbon fiber on my performance. There is no Sig Perf beta on display, btw, but nice samples of all materials in the Santana Row store, which I'm sure will roll-out to all stores very soon.

Last edited:
Russ,
Thanx for being eyes and ears there. This is really a unique issue that will become a larger issue if Tesla wants to go bigger and it has to do with the key options. I spend a lot of time in the ocean bodysurfing in San Diego and always put the good old fashioned metal key to my Infiniti in my bathing suit rather than leave it on the beach to be lifted by some low life. Now WTF do I do with this mini computer that masquerades as a key? Water will kill it and then I'm SOL. On a larger issue what if the valet drops it in a puddle of water on a rainy night and ruins it. Again one would be SOL and you can imagine the difficulty getting the valet company to pay for a new key. Can you ask if they will have a valet key like many current cars that are old fashioned and metal. If they don't please recommend that they need one for ocean going swimmers and surfers, and to prevent valet employees from wrecking a night out for everyone else?
Thanx,
CMLAFF

Prod. mgr. says interior is a "two tone" design when you go with tan or gray, and some people like it that way. He also said it was done this way because they don't have the production volumes to justify so many extra interior parts from vendors that have to be color-matched, etc. Exact quote captured on the video.

Model S Product mgr. (name in the video) told me the interior of the two new betas is representative of production. George told me "we listened, and are definitely going to offer a console as a Tesla accessory down the road" -- or words to that effect on the video.

Going to pick-up my 16 y/o son now and return to Santana Row. Will post interview videos, and 2 videos of Troy giving a "tech talk" on the Model X overnight...

Please keep your questions coming on this thread, and I will ask George and/or product manager if they are still there this evening. Product mgr. knows everything about S and X. He was in a jovial mood and spoke pretty freely this afternoon.

Asked George about the shiny silver strip under the doors. He says that is a chrome strip that is the edge of the skateboard! Need to check video to confirm. Noticed door threshold is body paint color, which will get scuffed. They need a chrome accessory plate to put over that.

Both new betas have latest flat panel software! I was able to open, adjust, and close the glass roof for the first time! It was awesome. Still no fabric shade yet... But you can see where it will go (the gap).

Product manager says part of his job is to predict what options customers will order. He says he reads this forum religiously, and keep the polls coming. They are awesome! Both he and George asked my handle.

The in-store Model S Design Center just has interior added to it. No pricing when you configure. More on that later from interview. Gotta run now to get my son and return to Tesla... Wife thinks I'm crazy!

When I was there 12pm to 2:30pm, there was local NBC media shooting the X and interviewing some people. The checked your name against a list in an iPad at the door, just like at the factory. X reservation time was 11am to 3pm.

Cheers,

Russ

Sweet! Thanks. I think GeorgeB heard it here so I'm glad they're adapting to customer interests.