TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

It's the Batteries, Stupid!

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by vfx, May 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

2. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

#242 Norbert, Nov 24, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
    One of the authors is K. M. Abraham, who has a webpage about Lithium Air here:

Lithium Topics, Lithium Ion Batteries, Lithium Ion Electrolytes, Li-ion batteries, Li-ion battery

He reported prototypes in 2006 already. It seems the authors consider these new prototypes a major step forward, however it is not clear to me why exactly. Because of the solid-state, or the measured cycle life? It seems that one of the major problems, the protection from humidity/water in the air, has not been solved yet. But any step forward, towards 1000 Wh/kg, is potentially hugely important, of course.

EDIT: --------

Here is a link to the announcement by University of Dayton Research Institute itself, which explains my question above, and what is important about the new protototypes:

http://www.udri.udayton.edu/News/2009/Pages/BatteryBreakthrough!.aspx

This appears to solve the previous problems Lithium-Air batteries were said to have with water in the air. (Hopefully). So that would be an important step forward.

3. Tdave

Tdave Member

4. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

They must be quoting EV1 ranges based on lead-acid batteries. Even the NiMH EV1 had an EPA certified range of 140 miles/charge.

To contact the reporter on this story Keiko Ujikane in Tokyo at [email protected]

5. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I think they are quoting the mark1 LEAF range.

6. mt2

mt2 Member

Gah... I hate sensationalistic spin. 300km with what weight penalty? "Twice the capacity" implies that it would take a Roadster 700km or so, or more than 400km at half the weight. And what car, exactly, would it take 300km? A Mini? An SUV? The Aptera? How about the B52's "I got me a Chrysler that seats about twenty" car?

Come on, guys, add a couple of words to the press release and tell us something meaningful.

7. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Welcome to the electric future - Green cars

8. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

700 cells rather than 6831. This however implies the same range. How about 1400 cells rather than 6831. That would up the range to > 450 miles.

9. bolosky

bolosky Member

I read the article, and it says that the batteries are more "powerful" than the laptop cells. I'm guessing that the author of the article doesn't know the difference between energy and power, and that the claim about 700 cells is based on power, not energy. If that's the case, then the smaller battery would provide the same acceleration (power) but have smaller range (energy).

10. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

What range estimate do you think 700 cells would provide?

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

12. johnr

johnr Member

That's very good news - hopefully this new funding will make it possible for exciting experimental battery technologies such as lithium air to leave the lab and enter production within the next few years.

13. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

14. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

15. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

16. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Luckily since EV's are so much more efficient we don't really need batteries with the same energy density of gasoline.