Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

It's the Batteries, Stupid!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Green Car Congress: Researchers Develop Solid-State, Rechargeable Lithium-Air Battery; Potential to Exceed 1,000 Wh/kg

Rechargeable lithium-air battery. 1000Wh/kg may be exceeded in practical application. So a battery like the Roadster's will be only about 50-100kg (110-220lbs).

One of the authors is K. M. Abraham, who has a webpage about Lithium Air here:

Lithium Topics, Lithium Ion Batteries, Lithium Ion Electrolytes, Li-ion batteries, Li-ion battery

He reported prototypes in 2006 already. It seems the authors consider these new prototypes a major step forward, however it is not clear to me why exactly. Because of the solid-state, or the measured cycle life? It seems that one of the major problems, the protection from humidity/water in the air, has not been solved yet. But any step forward, towards 1000 Wh/kg, is potentially hugely important, of course.

EDIT: --------

Here is a link to the announcement by University of Dayton Research Institute itself, which explains my question above, and what is important about the new protototypes:

http://www.udri.udayton.edu/News/2009/Pages/BatteryBreakthrough!.aspx

The primary component of the new electrolyte is a glass-ceramic material which is very stable, even when in contact with water.

This appears to solve the previous problems Lithium-Air batteries were said to have with water in the air. (Hopefully). So that would be an important step forward.

Last edited:
:confused: Hello! There are about 1000 of us who can already do better than that now.
Gah... I hate sensationalistic spin. 300km with what weight penalty? "Twice the capacity" implies that it would take a Roadster 700km or so, or more than 400km at half the weight. And what car, exactly, would it take 300km? A Mini? An SUV? The Aptera? How about the B52's "I got me a Chrysler that seats about twenty" car?

Come on, guys, add a couple of words to the press release and tell us something meaningful.

Welcome to the electric future - Green cars

His company can already produce a single cell which is 30 times more powerful than a laptop cell, So if his batteries were in a Tesla it would only need 700 cells, rather than the 6831 it currently needs. That, mixed with vastly improved ways of making battery packs, would also mean it would be half the weight: around 400-500lbs, rather than the sports car’s current 1100lb battery pack.

700 cells rather than 6831. This however implies the same range. How about 1400 cells rather than 6831. That would up the range to > 450 miles.

I read the article, and it says that the batteries are more "powerful" than the laptop cells. I'm guessing that the author of the article doesn't know the difference between energy and power, and that the claim about 700 cells is based on power, not energy. If that's the case, then the smaller battery would provide the same acceleration (power) but have smaller range (energy).