Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I've loved Tesla for 7 years. But after years of abuse, I'm out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon officially took over Scott McNeily's job - VP of Service. So it gets his attention for 5 minutes per quarter, maybe. However, Elon's focus on profit gets his attention 24/7.

No part of Tesla gets that much focus from him. He has SpaceX and the Boring Company projects to name a few ‘distractions’ (let’s not get into his moments of Trump-like tweeting).
He’s not Superman (or Tony Stark). He should be providing the vision and then selecting the best management to turn daily operations over too.

No part of Tesla gets that much focus from him. He has SpaceX and the Boring Company projects to name a few ‘distractions’ (let’s not get into his moments of Trump-like tweeting).
He’s not Superman (or Tony Stark). He should be providing the vision and then selecting the best management to turn daily operations over too.

I don't see why he should. Seems like Tesla is doing better than anyone imagined.

our neighbor/friend was a manage of of our local service center. After a couple of years? She headed for the Hills. That got me thinking. Have you ever seen one of the managers last more than a couple years? Most of us should know, if we take as many trips down there as the threads would indicate.
I used to joke with them, creating a bit of nervousness. I would say I have your entire wardrobe memorized. I might joke, "Wow, you haven't worn those slacks for at least a month" .

Interesting anecdote. We bought a Macan S for my wife in January, and the sales guy was the same person I bought my last Tesla from. We had an interesting discussion about that. Kudos to him, he did not disparage the product at all.

Reactions: Chaserr
He (Elon) first needs to recognize that word of mouth is key to future sales. He also needs to recognize that although Model 3 needs service centers less than Models S & X, they do, still, need them. Those few new owners that have had bad service experiences will be vocal and potentially poison future sales. Tesla buyers are no longer exclusively enthusiastic early adopters.

As much as I dislike the OP's reasoning, I cannot deny his experience.

Side note...how’s the Macan S? Looking for my wife as well :)
It’s a great car. Wife loves it. Personally, I prefer my Tesla. I think the Macan feels more secure in handling when I’m going around curves at speed, which was interesting. I would guess that would be different in newer Tesla with adaptive suspension. But I love the instant acceleration of my Tesla and I love TACC. We are on the first leg of a roadtrip ~1000 mi roundtrip. Big argument on which car to take. I flat refused to take Macan because of lack of TACC. I used it for 90% of highway driving and it was just so much more less fatiguing than driving a car w/o it even if it was a Porsche. I don’t trust Navigate on Auto Pilot, but TACC is great.

It’s a great car. Wife loves it. Personally, I prefer my Tesla. I think the Macan feels more secure in handling when I’m going around curves at speed, which was interesting. I would guess that would be different in newer Tesla with adaptive suspension. But I love the instant acceleration of my Tesla and I love TACC. We are on the first leg of a roadtrip ~1000 mi roundtrip. Big argument on which car to take. I flat refused to take Macan because of lack of TACC. I used it for 90% of highway driving and it was just so much more less fatiguing than driving a car w/o it even if it was a Porsche. I don’t trust Navigate on Auto Pilot, but TACC is great.

Great to hear. Hers would be more the city car for commutes, soccer games, visits to friends etc. the only hesitation for me is the Macan 2021 rumoured to have the interior now match the new ‘flat touch’ as in the cayenne and others. I may wait 6 months. Also a Macan EV at some point?

I tried one out as a rental once and loved the solid feel of the drive.

My 100D is amazing and yes I love the instant response...but at times I do miss the fit and finish of a luxury brand.

Great to hear. Hers would be more the city car for commutes, soccer games, visits to friends etc. the only hesitation for me is the Macan 2021 rumoured to have the interior now match the new ‘flat touch’ as in the cayenne and others. I may wait 6 months. Also a Macan EV at some point?

I tried one out as a rental once and loved the solid feel of the drive.

My 100D is amazing and yes I love the instant response...but at times I do miss the fit and finish of a luxury brand.

About that fit and finish.. - couple of weeks into ownership, while out running an errand, the wife opened the rear passenger door and the handle detached, lol. It was a Saturday. Called the dealer, they were suitably embarrassed and had us bring in that day and they fixed it. I was amused since it mirrored some issues Tesla owners have experienced. I will say the way you are treated at a Porsche dealership is 1st class. Top to bottom.

Reactions: Destiny1701
Good thing you didn't post this on the Model 3 forum. Your character would have been viciously attacked and you would be victim shamed and declared a short seller.

They are still drinking the Kool-Aid over there, and many refuse to acknowledge the shortcomings of Tesla. Lots of good things, but service quality, build quality, and software quality are not on the list.
you just reminded me of something, as well as a scene from the movie, "The Princess Bride" .
"thank you for bringing up that painful memory ..... why don't you just give me a paper cut & pour lemon juice in it"
:p
After our 8th or 9th visit (within the first 3 months of ownership), we decided to - & kept a notebook in the X - of all the various reasons WHY we'd have to return to the SC with our X. By the time we were up to page 15, we began using our notes as leverage (all the return trips, & contradicting statements from different service members) so the SC would take us more seriously. Then the model 3 came out. I saw my first 3 while waiting in a fifty+ yard line, early Saturday morning. Guess where .... at the SC right behind me. Perfect Kodak moment

backup.jpg

I wanted to go introduce myself but there was nothing constructive anyone could say to someone needing service with a brand new car. Even so, I thought, poor slob - even if you didn't pay 6 figures it won't be long before the pixie dust wears off - if you have to keep returning to the SC long line of shame. Are we still early adapters? That's what I used to say to self - to make it feel a little better.

Reactions: Chaserr
Have 22k miles on my second X. The Road Warrior came to my office once to replace an air filter and tweak the pax door handle. Main battery refused to hold a charge. Dropped it off and drove a Model S for three days while they gave me a new battery at 17,000 miles.

I wonder how many times I would have been to the shop with an ICE vehicle. On my first X with over 63,000 miles, I think I visited the service center once for tires and a few minor items.

Solid cars that hold their value. My 2019 is still worth $90K. Never ever had a problem with falcon wings. Guess I have been lucky.

Have 22k miles on my second X. The Road Warrior came to my office once to replace an air filter and tweak the pax door handle. Main battery refused to hold a charge. Dropped it off and drove a Model S for three days while they gave me a new battery at 17,000 miles.

I wonder how many times I would have been to the shop with an ICE vehicle. On my first X with over 63,000 miles, I think I visited the service center once for tires and a few minor items.

Solid cars that hold their value. My 2019 is still worth $90K. Never ever had a problem with falcon wings. Guess I have been lucky.
Lol not sure if serious?

Reactions: BlindPass
He might be - fresh Teslas hold their value very well.
Outside of big improvement and price decreases, resale is still very good. Now - certainly not so on performance models that are loaded....
But a 2019 that is the same car as newly available - yeah resale is excellent. Huge price reductions (and feature improvements) certainly hit some Teslas very hard.

I always feel the need to counter some of this horrible reliability talk. Our garage -
2015 70D - 85 k miles. 4 service trips over 5.5 years. $1000 in out of warranty repair.
March 2019 Model 3 - 15k miles. Has never seen SC.

I know multiple Tesla owners - none have had significant issues. 2 have 80-100k miles on late 2015s that I just talked with. One got a MCU2 upgrade 2 weeks ago after failure - right before the $500 card became available. Neither have had any other issues. Not excusing the MCU problem but the $500 fix is pretty darn reasonable. Wish it was $550 and a better chip but we don't really know how that chip is.