TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

J1772 Charging for the Tesla Roadster

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by tomsax, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I'm pretty sure UL doesn't care if it meets charging interface standards. They only care about electrical safety.

2. btown

btown Member

That's the point! The +/-12V swing on the pilot signal exists PURELY for safety. It is the mechanism by which the charging station can discriminate between a connection to an actual EV vs. the charging plug sitting in a mud puddle or having a kid stick a paper clip in it. If they aren't producing the negative side of the pilot signal, there is no way for them to tell the difference. This means the charging station can easily be fooled into turning on the 240V ac.

3. tomsax

tomsax Member

There's still something causing the Roadster not to recognize the connection to the Shorepower station at OMSI in Portland, as of September 9th.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

What I mean is UL is concerned with the usual electrical safety standards -- grounding, insulation, Hi-Pot testing, that sort of thing. They may not have recognized that these devices have an extra standard to comply with, that this standard may have an impact on safety, and they probably do not have the ability to test for compliance with that standard.

5. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

What an unruly example of UL performing its duty. L1&L2 EVSE only purpose is to provide better safety than a naked AC power outlet and they screw up on checking that.

6. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

7. btown

btown Member

Good point Tom (and DarkStar). I hadn't really thought about the fact the GFI should/would cover them for the safety issue. If DarkStar is correct, then there are other chargers which don't output the negative side of the pilot, yet work with the Roadster? Anyone know what Tesla's minimum requirements are for a valid pilot signal?

8. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

Can anyone confirm if issues with the CS-100 have been resolved? My work is putting in a charger and I was trying to convince them to put in a higher amp charger rather than these wimpy 30 amp chargers that are popping up everywhere.

9. tomsax

tomsax Member

I don't know if Tesla has fixed it on their side, but you can fix it on the CS-100 side. Wire it up to a 100A break, but tell Clipper Creek you're installing it on a 90A breaker so that they set the current limit to 70A. In the meantime, pester Tesla to find out what the status is and encourage them to address it if it's not already fixed. Also, tell Clipper Creek you want a way to change the current limit later.

I'll bet the Model S will charge at the full 80A. If so, Tesla is going to want to fully support the CS-100.

10. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I can confirm that the issue with supplying higher than 70amp has not been resolved. I have the latest firmware update (as of a few weeks ago). From another post I made then:

"I checked after the last firmware update and this problem was not yet corrected. I went over to the Clipper Creek offices in Auburn to test. Their charger had been dialed down to 70 amp. My car charged without a problem. We raised it to 75 amp & received the charging error. We dialed it back down to 70, charged without a problem, and then tried again at 75amp with no better results.

Recent communication with Tesla indicates they still plan on fixing this, but as of now, I wouldn't expect to be able to charge at a 75amp J1772."

11. tomsax

tomsax Member

Do the 1.5 Roadsters have the same issue with 75A charging stations?

12. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

I knew I had seen such a post at some time Bonnie... This thread was the closest my poor search skills could locate today now that I need the info though. I was hoping this had been resolved by now. Oh well--Thanks!

13. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Sorry! I wish it were resolved, too. But I've also had some email exchanges with Tesla & can unfortunately confirm that it is not yet fixed.

14. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

Yes indeed.

15. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Short and sweet J-1772 adapter

Here's the latest version of my solution. Overall length is 6.5" so even with the J connector attached it has barely any more torque on the car than the regular Tesla HPC connector. You can't really make it any shorter and still clear the side of the body with the J- connector plugged in. All the components are rated to 70A or more. This is my 3rd prototype. It still took a lot of hours in my poorly-tooled shop! Ignoring time, materials were about $200.

IMGP0167.JPG

IMGP0176.JPG

IMGP0171.JPG

16. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Very nicely done.

17. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Excellent work.

18. Kevin Sharpe

Kevin Sharpe Active Member

great job :smile:

19. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

Want. Great job.:biggrin:

Maybe you should share the design with Tesla. They might be interested in a shorty adaptor instead of the big cable which is used now.

20. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

And maybe the J1772 adapter for the Model S could look correspondingly...