Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

J1772 Charging for the Tesla Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am the other owner Tom was referring to. I put an O-Scope on the pilot signal and discovered that the Shorepower Stations (in Spokane at least) only swing the pilot signal from 0 to +12V. The -12V swing is not there!!! Since the -12V swing is really the integral part of the safety system, I'm not quite sure how they pass UL without it.

I'm pretty sure UL doesn't care if it meets charging interface standards. They only care about electrical safety.

I'm pretty sure UL doesn't care if it meets charging interface standards. They only care about electrical safety.
That's the point! The +/-12V swing on the pilot signal exists PURELY for safety. It is the mechanism by which the charging station can discriminate between a connection to an actual EV vs. the charging plug sitting in a mud puddle or having a kid stick a paper clip in it. If they aren't producing the negative side of the pilot signal, there is no way for them to tell the difference. This means the charging station can easily be fooled into turning on the 240V ac.

Very few commercial J1772 EVSEs pass proper +12/-12 volt control pilot signal. Since there is a required GFCI test, that is considered sufficient for UL listing. There was a problem with the Shorepower units only putting out +11.5 volts on the control pilot pin, but this was fixed on all the Portland units at least.

There's still something causing the Roadster not to recognize the connection to the Shorepower station at OMSI in Portland, as of September 9th.

That's the point! The +/-12V swing on the pilot signal exists PURELY for safety. It is the mechanism by which the charging station can discriminate between a connection to an actual EV vs. the charging plug sitting in a mud puddle or having a kid stick a paper clip in it. If they aren't producing the negative side of the pilot signal, there is no way for them to tell the difference. This means the charging station can easily be fooled into turning on the 240V ac.

What I mean is UL is concerned with the usual electrical safety standards -- grounding, insulation, Hi-Pot testing, that sort of thing. They may not have recognized that these devices have an extra standard to comply with, that this standard may have an impact on safety, and they probably do not have the ability to test for compliance with that standard.

There's still something causing the Roadster not to recognize the connection to the Shorepower station at OMSI in Portland, as of September 9th.
Good point Tom (and DarkStar). I hadn't really thought about the fact the GFI should/would cover them for the safety issue. If DarkStar is correct, then there are other chargers which don't output the negative side of the pilot, yet work with the Roadster? Anyone know what Tesla's minimum requirements are for a valid pilot signal?

Can anyone confirm if issues with the CS-100 have been resolved? My work is putting in a charger and I was trying to convince them to put in a higher amp charger rather than these wimpy 30 amp chargers that are popping up everywhere.

I don't know if Tesla has fixed it on their side, but you can fix it on the CS-100 side. Wire it up to a 100A break, but tell Clipper Creek you're installing it on a 90A breaker so that they set the current limit to 70A. In the meantime, pester Tesla to find out what the status is and encourage them to address it if it's not already fixed. Also, tell Clipper Creek you want a way to change the current limit later.

I'll bet the Model S will charge at the full 80A. If so, Tesla is going to want to fully support the CS-100.

I can confirm that the issue with supplying higher than 70amp has not been resolved. I have the latest firmware update (as of a few weeks ago). From another post I made then:

"I checked after the last firmware update and this problem was not yet corrected. I went over to the Clipper Creek offices in Auburn to test. Their charger had been dialed down to 70 amp. My car charged without a problem. We raised it to 75 amp & received the charging error. We dialed it back down to 70, charged without a problem, and then tried again at 75amp with no better results.

Recent communication with Tesla indicates they still plan on fixing this, but as of now, I wouldn't expect to be able to charge at a 75amp J1772."

I can confirm that the issue with supplying higher than 70amp has not been resolved. I have the latest firmware update (as of a few weeks ago). From another post I made then:

"I checked after the last firmware update and this problem was not yet corrected. I went over to the Clipper Creek offices in Auburn to test. Their charger had been dialed down to 70 amp. My car charged without a problem. We raised it to 75 amp & received the charging error. We dialed it back down to 70, charged without a problem, and then tried again at 75amp with no better results.

Recent communication with Tesla indicates they still plan on fixing this, but as of now, I wouldn't expect to be able to charge at a 75amp J1772."

I knew I had seen such a post at some time Bonnie... This thread was the closest my poor search skills could locate today now that I need the info though. I was hoping this had been resolved by now. Oh well--Thanks!

Short and sweet J-1772 adapter

Here's the latest version of my solution. Overall length is 6.5" so even with the J connector attached it has barely any more torque on the car than the regular Tesla HPC connector. You can't really make it any shorter and still clear the side of the body with the J- connector plugged in. All the components are rated to 70A or more. This is my 3rd prototype. It still took a lot of hours in my poorly-tooled shop! Ignoring time, materials were about $200.

IMGP0167.JPG

IMGP0176.JPG

IMGP0171.JPG