Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-pace problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in the camp which says why buy anything that hasn't got a supercharger network i.e. a Tesla? Maybe slightly different for a city car but anything else at this stage in the evolution, not me

That pretty much depends on where you drive. I frequently drive to Snowdonia, and there isn’t a supercharger within 100 miles. Over 90% of my public charging so far as been at non-Tesla charge points.

Jaguar needs to join Ionity and agree discounted charging for all iPace along with Ionity expending in the UK.

Asuming the CO2 fines in the UK from next year only depends on UK sales, VW and Co will have to:
  • pay high fines
  • And/or greatly discounted their EVs
  • Abd/or truely sort out moterway EV charging for nine Teslas
Of moterway charging is progressing nicely at pubs, gyms and hotels etc

Yea it's not an ipace issue, the current UK charging network is a disgrace. The most frequent chargers around me are ecotricity ... which while I could rely on them with Chademo they are next to useless for CCS and have been for 5 years, and chargemaster/polar who bought up loads of chargers and left them to rot meaning huge numbers of offline/faulty chargers or ones that only worked with cards that pay as you go customers can't have... well could have they just disabled them all and said tough.
I've found the best networks about at the moment are instavolt and shell (I've not got any ionity near me... and I wouldn't pay their rates) as I've had 100% success from their chargers and you just turn up and tap your cash card. There just aren't enough of them about.
I really wish Tesla would add some reliable networks to their "find a charger" and route planning as there's still huge areas of the country that you can't make a round trip from without either driving miles out of your way to hit a super charger or trying to find a reliable alternative.

Life will get interesting if the rivals get their act together and finally deploy a meaningful supply of ultrafast charging points at realstic cost.. The rest of Tesla's advantage can be eroded quickly by Mobileye and apple/android auto and a decent dealer/repair network.
I hope we don't have to wait that long for life to get interesting... half of us will be dead first I fear.

Now that Superchargers are moving to CCS connectors, I'd much rather see the charging networks starting to coalesce: ideally around superchargers.

Ford, Jaguar etc can all commmit to building 100 supercharger sites each, while joining the network and contributing equally to future developments/upkeep etc.

Everyone wins: Tesla owners get more Superchargers, other manufacturers get access to a now-even-better Supercharger network. At the end of the day, most of us have two cars in our households, and most of us aren't going to be running two Teslas anytime soon.

That said, most of the problem could also be solved by Ecotricity being less *sugar*...

Reactions: Jez_GB
Perth Park and Ride has Tesla superchargers as well as a whole load of other manufacturers chargers. When I supercharge there there is always a Tesla or two on the other chargers even though I may be the only one on a supercharger. I can only assume they either leave them all day on these slower chargers while taking the bus to Perth for work / shopping or that as these chargers are generally free in Scotland it’s cheaper for them than using superchargers.

Yea it's not an ipace issue, the current UK charging network is a disgrace. The most frequent chargers around me are ecotricity ... which while I could rely on them with Chademo they are next to useless for CCS and have been for 5 years, and chargemaster/polar who bought up loads of chargers and left them to rot meaning huge numbers of offline/faulty chargers or ones that only worked with cards that pay as you go customers can't have... well could have they just disabled them all and said tough.
I've found the best networks about at the moment are instavolt and shell (I've not got any ionity near me... and I wouldn't pay their rates) as I've had 100% success from their chargers and you just turn up and tap your cash card. There just aren't enough of them about.
I really wish Tesla would add some reliable networks to their "find a charger" and route planning as there's still huge areas of the country that you can't make a round trip from without either driving miles out of your way to hit a super charger or trying to find a reliable alternative.
Chargemaster didn't buy lots of faulty chargepoints. They bought CYC, which administers chargepoints largely owned by various local authorities. They were bought with government cash. No thought was given to running costs and now these councils don't see repairs as a priority. You can criticise Chargemaster for lots of things but these dodgy chargepoints are mostly publicly funded not privately. It's true also of Ecotricity, which had public (and private from Nissan) funding to build a network that was great at first but us now crumbling for lack of investment.