Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jaguar I-pace problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My neighbour has just bought a nearly new i-pace and was telling me he’s had a nightmare trying to charge it.almost every ccs charger he plugs into it comes up as a fault and very rarely connects making the car almost unusable which is a shame.
He says it can’t be solved due to the car not being backwards compatible to older ccs chargers.he says he loves the car but may trade for a Tesla and was asking my opinion.

My neighbour has just bought a nearly new i-pace and was telling me he’s had a nightmare trying to charge it.almost every ccs charger he plugs into it comes up as a fault and very rarely connects making the car almost unusable which is a shame.
He says it can’t be solved due to the car not being backwards compatible to older ccs chargers.he says he loves the car but may trade for a Tesla and was asking my opinion.

If they've not tried already I would have thought posting on a dedicated iPace forum would bring whatever answers are out there .... such as: Faults & Technical - Jaguar I-Pace Forum

Please find attached a recent post from myself - which you may find helpful.

Check Power Source Warning - Tesla Model 3 with CCS Connection

I’m sharing this, in case anyone else has the same problem.

My wife’s new Tesla Model 3 Performance (RHD UK Specification) started displaying “Check Power Source” Warning - one month into ownership. Our nearest Tesla Service Centre in Edinburgh Scotland correctly diagnosed the problem and effected a repair. We had a faulty Charge Port. The Charge Port latch pin was repeatedly engaging and disengaging and not locking. (This information is stored on the Vehicle Log on the Tesla Cloud - which agreed with the times and dates that we had had difficulty charging). We were ultimately unable to charge from anyCharge Point (Our worst nightmare). The repair was the complete replacement of the Charge Port and it’s CPU, under warranty. Everything works OK now. Two satisfied Tesla Customers!

.almost every ccs charger he plugs into it comes up as a fault and very rarely connects making the car almost unusable which is a shame

I read the iPace forums for several months middle to end of last year. There was lots of talk of that ... and having a Plan-B, C and D for charging on trips. Someone's iPace that would charge at Location-A was not a guarantee that someone else's iPace could charge there. Complete nightmare, but quite possibly fairly normal for other brands that have to use 3rd party charging. Ionity fared well, but their sites are almost non-existent in UK. I agree with @Derek25 - Ecotricity's name came up a lot (but some iPace owners charged at Ecotricity with no problem ...)

But if you don't do long trips then home charging will be all you need ... if you do long trips get a Tesla. Lots to like about the Jag as a driver's car but the software was chronic, unless it has improved significantly recently. Not everyone likes the spartan styling of Tesla or the idea of driving-an-iPad, and Jaguar are likely to have a Ranger out to you in double quick time if you have a problem ... so iPace definitely has some good bits, but Tesla's 10 year lead has been telling as iPace, eTron and EQC started coming to market. M3 efficiency is what? 1/3rd better I think?

Reactions: ringi
I had a random conversation on a ski lift with an ipace owner today. Said they were in the process of returning it because it would not charge. We got to the top before I got to find out what she meant. so thanks for this I think I now have the answer.

Reactions: Rooster6655
Some interesting views over on the ipace forum. Each to their own with car choice I guess, but would you buy a car knowing that you can only use certain petrol stations that are also potentially unreliable. I think possibly not.

also there was a comment about Tesla’s using non Tesla chargers in locations where Tesla chargers are full. Again, access to a wide range of charging options is surely sensible to consider when purchasing an electric car. So don’t complain when you didn’t consider this..

there was a comment about Tesla’s using non Tesla chargers in locations where Tesla chargers are full

Those forums were full of "Proprietary Tesla connection is a millstone" comments too, and that CHAdeMO adaptor was expensive add-on, as well as being outdated and wrong-tech for the future. All those armchair experts were authorities on how the CCS spec prohibits adaptors ...

The Tesla CCS adaptor now comes with the car (MS / MX) and fits in the palm of my hand ...

The share price movement of the relevant companies seems directly proportional to the humble-pie portion size!

would you buy a car knowing that you can only use certain petrol stations that are also potentially unreliable. I think possibly not.

That is the case with all Tesla in the UK, the difference is that there are superchargers that mostly let Tesla owners bypass the problem chargers. The only EV thst can be depended on to work with public moterway chargers is a Leaf. But "works" is not enough to make the Leaf a good option for long distance travel.

Life will get interesting if the rivals get their act together and finally deploy a meaningful supply of ultrafast charging points at realstic cost.. The rest of Tesla's advantage can be eroded quickly by Mobileye and apple/android auto and a decent dealer/repair network.

Reactions: ringi
Life will get interesting if the rivals get their act together and finally deploy a meaningful supply of ultrafast charging points at realstic cost.. The rest of Tesla's advantage can be eroded quickly by Mobileye and apple/android auto and a decent dealer/repair network.

Ahh, you mean long-term investment is required...
There's the problem in a nutshell.

Reactions: Jez_GB and shthpnz
ultrafast charging points at realstic cost

What I'm seeing is:

Ionity putting their prices up by 500% (and largest sites in UK with only 4 stalls ...)

Shell arm-twisting punters to have a monthly subscription, and charging overstay fines for EV's that charge-up for what would be considered normal dwell time

Tesla's advantage can be eroded quickly

I've been hearing that weekly for the last 4 years :) (probably before that, but i wasn't tuned in back then)

The Bolt, iPace, eTron, EQC clutch of cars were going to see Tesla off. GM managed to screw up their arrangements for Vauxhall in UK such that Bolt never became a contender, and the rest produced barely-me-too imitations. I was expecting better coach building etc. and also better mechanicals, given they had the advantage of 2nd mover : tooling up later and with all the latest industry knowledge, not to mention already owning their factories and assembly lines.

What actually happened was Tesla came out with Model-3, about 1/3rd more efficient than those rivals, and the good bits of that were retro fitted to MS / MX "Raven" and gave them a boost of 20% in effect eclipsing the would-be contenders.

Cars other then iPace, eTron and EQC have some decent efficiency - e.g. Korean ones - but delivery wait times are long and cars are few ...

Tesla also bought the factory that makes the battery assembly robots. They honoured all existing orders from other companies, but didn't take any new ones ... which squeezed those companies and caused them to announce delays due to battery starvation. VW et al having trouble with some battery suppliers fulfilling existing contracts - let alone any growth-on-top

And all the rest are stuck with hit-and-miss, and mostly slow, 3rd party charging. Meanwhile Tesla found they could boost most existing Supercharger stall charging rates by 20% with a software update ... and also started rolling out faster-still V3 sites ...

Tesla share price is nuts, but it is probably just a reflection that the Shorts have got their tea-leaf-reading wrong, and if that is the cause then Tesla have indeed got it right and are looking onward-and-upward straight in the face.

So ... I'm not holding my breath :)

long-term investment is required... There's the problem in a nutshell

Except when your share price rockets and the small-print on your loans get exercised and you convert the loans from liability debt to stock :) And print some new shares to flog to existing investors too of course ...

There was only an article last week, where Ford are calling for government grants to support roll out of charging infrastructure.... still unwilling to fully commit their own funds in other words.

It's not that I wouldn't want them putting in their own funds, but I wouldn't want charging stations to be manufacturer based. Can you imagine having Tesla, Mercedes, Ford, etc. all having their own stations at service stations and around towns? Absolute mess of a situation.

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne