Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jalopnik P3 thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find it humorous that none of these auto journalists realize how goofy they sound when complaining about the touchscreen interface. Literally "I can't get used to this new interface because I immediately go back to driving 50 cars with outdated interfaces" EVERY SINGLE REVIEW. Although at least one reviewer was starting to catch on by noticing how crowded his Buick interface is. I really feel like all of these "journalists" ok, I'll call them "bloggers" would still be using blackberries if they could. BRO, NEED A REAL KEYBOARD!!! MOAR PROFESSIONAL.

"In some ways it feels like Tesla’s taken the classic muscle car approach here: take the engine—or batteries and motors in this case—out of the bigger car and put it all in something smaller, and you have an instant recipe for fun. I’ve never found the Model S to be boring to drive, but this is way more of a blast."

D'oh! At least the front motor is from the S. Not the batteries, not the rear motor.

"Consumer Reports wrote that it felt that the back seats were too low and didn’t provide any knee support. I thought they were fine?"

Sheesh. Don't they keep up the automotive press? (Rear seats were changed after the CR article.)

Quite the stellar review article! Clearly they were all very impressed with the car. I would bet that their nitpicks about things like the touchscreen interface would erode if they had the chance to spend several days with the Model 3 to get more used to it.

I find it humorous that none of these auto journalists realize how goofy they sound when complaining about the touchscreen interface. Literally "I can't get used to this new interface because I immediately go back to driving 50 cars with outdated interfaces" EVERY SINGLE REVIEW. Although at least one reviewer was starting to catch on by noticing how crowded his Buick interface is. I really feel like all of these "journalists" ok, I'll call them "bloggers" would still be using blackberries if they could. BRO, NEED A REAL KEYBOARD!!! MOAR PROFESSIONAL.

I agree that some of the complaining in other traditional auto magazines about the interface can at times come across as people unable to accept change but the comments in the Jalopnik article were pretty reasonable with regards to the interface. Most of them said they either strangely liked it or would get used to it. Only one of them said "I want buttons" but she still liked the car in many other ways.

It is presents a fundamentally different user interface concept for a car, even more so than prior Teslas. I'm actually surprised how well traditional automotive journalists seem to be coming to terms with the change. Early reviews obsessed about the single center screen but that has calmed down considerably. There's clearly an adjustment for people using the car but it's not insurmountable and at least one writer pointed out that it's not really worse than adjusting to a new traditional car interface because buttons can be strewn all over the place in some of these other cars. Especially American cars it seems.

This was an incredibly positive review in nearly every possible way. In prior reviews of the Model 3, Jalopnik pointed out just what a big deal with car was for a number of reasons. Reviews like this one and the Road and Track one recently of the P3 are exactly what Tesla wants and what they need.

funny how we don't really see threads from Model 3 owners complaining about touchscreen UX. It was very common when no one had a 3. Very common from people who only get to sit in the car once to review it.

No threads here from owners declaring, "yep, damn this thing needs a HUD bad."
I still want it to have a simple, effective HUD. ;)

My concerns about the touchscreen mostly went away when I took a couple hours to mock up where it would be in my Acura and get a sense of what it'd be like to check the speedometer on it. Then it was the initial reports about how you had to use the touchscreen to adjust TACC speed, that sounded like total rubbish I wouldn't like. Of course it wasn't deeply concerning because of OTA and the wheel controls, it was just a matter of it getting sorted.

I have been a bit concerned the spinner controls are too cute by half. I can't say my test drive alleviated this, it seem a bit too easy to accidentally press in when flipping side-to-side. I think I pulled up the voice command prompt 4 times during the test drive. It's probably a learning thing but they do seem a bit small and fidgety, like the side-to-side is a little too firm and the press in is too light.

Last edited:
I still want it to have a simple, effective HUD. ;)

Oh I'm sure there are still anecdotal pockets of people wanting HUDs. My point is that without real use, people assumed the design was seriously flawed. People canceled reservations in fear that the screen would be too hard to use or distracting. The boards lately show that it was all a non-issue. There are probably more new threads about panel gaps than no binnacle or touchscreen distraction. Actually, haven't seen panel gap gripes in a while either.

When I offer friends to test drive, I make sure to have them go thru all the settings so they don't feel like trying to explore all the settings while driving. Because the reality is that most settings are set-it-and-forget-it. They experience what parts of the car are configurable when they are in Park. Then when they drive, they realize how little they really NEED to touch the screen.

For me personally, the only time I touch the screen is to pull up the trip/efficiency card. And even that is now a single swipe that I can do without looking. I rarely even look at my speed (that could be because of the types of roads here in New England, where your speed is naturally limited to windiness). But the glance-right is not some sort of horrible ergonomic stretch for the brain. Like someone else pointed out, people have been looking way further to use the rear view mirror. And likely looking thru that mirror way longer than the screen.

Oh I'm sure there are still anecdotal pockets of people wanting HUDs. My point is that without real use, people assumed the design was seriously flawed. People canceled reservations in fear that the screen would be too hard to use or distracting. The boards lately show that it was all a non-issue. There are probably more new threads about panel gaps than no binnacle or touchscreen distraction. Actually, haven't seen panel gap gripes in a while either.

When I offer friends to test drive, I make sure to have them go thru all the settings so they don't feel like trying to explore all the settings while driving. Because the reality is that most settings are set-it-and-forget-it. They experience what parts of the car are configurable when they are in Park. Then when they drive, they realize how little they really NEED to touch the screen.

For me personally, the only time I touch the screen is to pull up the trip/efficiency card. And even that is now a single swipe that I can do without looking. I rarely even look at my speed (that could be because of the types of roads here in New England, where your speed is naturally limited to windiness). But the glance-right is not some sort of horrible ergonomic stretch for the brain. Like someone else pointed out, people have been looking way further to use the rear view mirror. And likely looking thru that mirror way longer than the screen.

This is true. There was a rather large uproar from people who had no experience with it. Those people should reflect on their habit of judging and coming to without experience. Myself and anyone I’ve let drive the car adjusts to it in seconds and have unanimously loved it given a bit of time to play with it.

And I find it funny that you care so much about these "bloggers" opinion on something that you seem to imply is not a big deal.

But the glance-right is not some sort of horrible ergonomic stretch for the brain. Like someone else pointed out, people have been looking way further to use the rear view mirror. And likely looking thru that mirror way longer than the screen.
More than that, even. The speedo glance keeps the road in peripheral view far more than looking through the steering wheel. Horizontal focus change, keeping track of things side to side, is actually supposed to be happening very regularly. The stuff straight ahead isn't actually the biggest concern because we can see it coming from longer off, things coming perpendicular to the path of travel is the thing that tends to have a lot smaller window of opportunity to catch.

And the "well you have to look to change some controls, I use all my controls no-look" assertion really was disconnected from reality of modern control systems and probably how they actually use their vehicles, too. They don't notice/remember glancing but it's pretty much inevitable for at least some of the controls.

What do you find about the part I edited in as an afterthought? The steering wheel spinner stalks, and the "accidental press in"? Do you find this happens at all, often? I'm actually inclined to start a thread dedicated to the question, to find out what people that have been using the vehicle for weeks or months have been noticing.