Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JdeMO for the Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From a further email I exchanged yesterday, QCP says that the 2.x (short PEM) cars will get a junction box above the right wheel, adjacent to the PEM. This means that no drilling of the PEM is needed to connect the JdeMO wires to the battery supply, unlike the earlier prototype installation.

• Informative
Reactions: ibcs
Looking thread, has a price been set? And max kW charging rate?

Answers are on their website: CHAdeMo charging for Tesla Roadster

FAQ's:

1) How fast will the Roadster be able to charge?

Answer: It will charge at approximately 300-400 volts DC at up to 125 amps, or about 40-50kW. That means that it can charge from 20% to 80% of the battery usable capacity in approximately 45-55 minutes. The Roadster battery has a capacity of about 56kWh when new (no degradation). The pending upgraded battery from Tesla is 70kWh and will require over an hour to charge.

17) How much will it cost?

Answer: $2999 plus any options, taxes, installation, shipping, etc

Progress pictures:

IMG_6128.jpg

IMG_6130.jpg

IMG_6129.jpg

these were posted on another forum and I've just linked to the original image host.

Reactions: Mark77a and cwerdna
There has also been some discussion about how much more power these cars can take beyond the capability of the 50kW stations currently installed in public. They threw out a guess that the RAV4 EV could comfortably take up to 200 amps DC. This will be formally evaluated when there are higher power public CHAdeMO stations in California to test with. The characteristics of the original Roadster pack are different than the RAV's so its ability to go to higher power charging may not be the same. The Roadster 3.0 pack should definitely be able to take significantly more power, even than the RAV4 EV.

Thanks. Someday I hope my roadster will get the 3.0 update (it's on order..); at the same time the DC fast charging is interesting to watch as a potential some-day option for actually taking some longer journeys with the car. I am a bit of a extremest when it comes to long journeys, translating to liking to put 4-10 hours a day in depending on the trip... a trip in Sept had me leaving Texas and arriving San Jose in 1 (quite long) day. It was with a gas car ....

Memory changes with the years, but my recollection is that in 1970 I drove an MGB from Baltimore to San Francisco in two days with a friend. We stopped only for gas and alternated drivers. Our only concession was that we had the top up the entire way. Not electric, but it was a two seat sports car! I'd sure like to try that with the Roadster......

Reactions: tvuolo and Msjulie
Two questions:

1) Could somebody with a spare mechanical key verify whether you can lock on unlock the car (from the mechanical lock at the bottom of the door) while the Roadster is ON in PARK

2) UK / Japan drivers / RHD Roadsters - can you tell me where the "OBD2" style port (diagnostic port) is located. On the left hand drive cars, it is above the passenger feet on the right side of the car.

Two questions:

1) Could somebody with a spare mechanical key verify whether you can lock on unlock the car (from the mechanical lock at the bottom of the door) while the Roadster is ON in PARK

The key-hole on the underside of the door doesn't lock/unlock the door...it's a manual door latch (that uses the key).

I've never had any luck in "locking the keys in the car" (intentionally).

You can't even press the door lock button on the door then close the door - well, technically you can do it, it just won't do what you want it to do!

Only way I've found to lock the car is with the FOB button (or with OVMS)...and both techniques require the key to be out of the ignition.

• Informative
Reactions: RobsJester