Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

JdeMO for the Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been a while coming, but the production version of the Roadster JdeMO now appears ready to ship. Fingers crossed it goes out this week :cool:

Production JdeMO.JPG

The standard mounting position for the CHAdeMO inlet on the Roadster will be by the license plate, quite far back from the end of the chassis, so I guess this has to be robust to counter the leverage. Nevertheless I hope the extra weight behind the rear axle doesn't affect handling too much.

It is possible to lock the Roadster via the CAN bus, even when the car is ON. We had to add special code into OVMS to check that the car wasn't on before sending a LOCK command. It would be trivial to remove that protection, should JdeMO users require it.

Looks like we are going to require this, as it has been confirmed that the car must be on to charge and it cannot be locked from the other key when doing so.

I suggest that the app could be update to have a confirmation dialogue to check that you really want to lock it if the car is on.

Also, would it be possible to spoof that the AC charge port door is open, in order to stop it moving when connected to the CHAdeMO?

The actual hardware is quite light. I can absolutely guarantee that 20 pounds of hardware is not going to affect handling. All those components are alloy aluminum, with the bulkhead mount being 6061-T6. The remaining is 5052.

The heaviest parts are the things we can't really control... how much copper weighs and the weight of the two main contactors (about 1.3 pounds each).

Yes, there is at least one crucial things to master with the Roadster:

1) Locking the door (and if you do it with an app, have a spare mechanical key!!!)

There are now five Roadsters with various versions of prototype hardware, and a sixth with a full production hardware suite.

THERE WILL BE SURPRISES !!! These cars are hand built with numerous hardware changes. It won't fit with a "snow dam". There are three blower fan combinations. Two boot configurations. Two rear diffuser / rear facia configurations. Two PEM configurations. Left hand and right hand drive. All these are factors in the final fit.

Almost none of those issues applied to JdeMO in the Rav4 EV. They are all built the same, they are easy to lock while in READY, and I'm glad we didn't tackle the Roadster first!

I have 8 boxes to ship Monday, and we will continue shipping through this month as we assemble and test them. Albout 30 total units.

Have fun this summer with your cars. I've been thinking about getting one for myself.

Reactions: dhrivnak
You_Doodle_2017-04-16T20_46_15Z.jpg

There's not a lot of options for cable and wire routing. Here is the most difficult high voltage wire routing, just under the right lower corner of the boot / trunk basket.

It's really the second step of the install, after installing the JdeMO bulkhead mount. Get the big cables in, then the right rib.

The JdeMO right rib, like most parts, only goes in one way. I don't recommend tightening up any bolts beyond finger tight until you are sure that all the bolt holes line up.

The first customer installed JdeMO for the Tesla Roadster is now operating in Germany. The owner sent me a few pictures to celebrate their journey from Germany to Spain, by driving 120mph on the Autobahn (while taking pictures). When you can charge in 30-60 minutes, it's not so important to drive slow to conserve energy:

You_Doodle_2017-04-28T23_54_58Z.png

IMG_3967.JPG

IMG_3968.JPG

IMG_3970.JPG

The CHAdeMO inlet is actually on the wrong side for this car. It should be on the right hand side for a 2.5 car:

IMG_3969.JPG

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: markwj and dhrivnak
There is a little green LED light / switch next to the CHAdeMO inlet. First, I want to say that if you NEVER touch the green button, your life will be fine. Having said that, here are the available modes.

LED switch light:

1) JdeMO operating normally - LED illuminates in green

2) Press and Release - ⅛ second to ¾ second = JdeMO will report half SOC% to the CHAdeMO charger. For example, if the charger is reporting your Roadster battery at 84% SOC, when you "Press and Release" the button, it will change to 42% SOC. You can toggle this back and forth.

3) Half Charger Power - Press and Release button for ¾ second to 2.99 sec - This will reduce the maximum power of the charge station to half. For example, if the charge station is capable of 125 amps, when this button is Pressed and Released for ¾ seconds to 2.99 seconds, that charger will reduce max power to 62 or 63 amps.

4) Shutdown - Press button for 3 seconds or more - charger is commanded to zero amps, and charger stops and plug subsequently becomes unlocked when safety check is complete.

• Informative
Looking good @TonyWilliams! BTW, any photos of a 2.5 installation that is NOT like the impractical one below? You also annotated the photo above noting the "Inlet mount on left is intended for 1.5 & 2.0 cars". Was there an alternative location earmarked for 2.5s with their different rear diffuser design; presumably the hole on the right? Also, ideally the word "cutting" (no matter how minor) won't be needed...

img_20160416_183809-jpg.187219

img_20160416_183840-jpg.187220

Last edited:
  • Informative
Whoa... very odd @TonyWilliams' replies from y/day just appeared above my post from earlier this morning?! Regardless, thx for the answer that the 2.5s should use the right inlet location. Would still love to view photos of a final installation to see if any cutting of the diffuser was required.

Last edited:
Whoa... very odd @TonyWilliams' replies from y/day just appeared above my post from earlier this morning?! Regardless, thx for the answer that the 2.5s should use the right inlet location. Would still love to view photos of a final installation to see if any cutting of the diffuser was required.

The power-that-be moderate every post that I make, so it may take a day or two for any individual post to be approved.

There are four possible positions:

You_Doodle_2017-04-30T04_06_38Z.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Roadster