Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jeda just released a new USB hub. Mounts Flush and hides flash drive

Buying it?

• Yes

Votes: 64 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 75 26.5%
  • Maybe at $50

Votes: 144 50.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does an ssd really make a difference over a micro sd, I mean we are plugging into a usb 2 interface? For speeds I'm sure it does but probably won't matter. I know people always recommend those high endurance cards but I have never bought one, usually my cards become obsolete before i wear them out in things like my go pro. However sentry mode is a bit different. Still why not wear out the cards I have first?

I have just been using an old thumb drive but since sentry mode stops working when full I'll probably change it to something larger. Suggestions welcome!

@Glamisduner

Take his word for it.
there are few (if any) USB flash drives with high WRITE endurance in the consumer market. But you can buy SD cards with high endurance and use them in the Tesla with a USB adapter.
From its ads,
High Endurance microSD Card, at a glance, ideal for dash cams and home monitoring systems. Record for thousands of hours(1) with no worries

SSD (T3 older version) VS USB Disk Speed Test on a USB 2.0

Average
Write:
SSD 29-30 MB/s (consistent)
USB 7-8 MB/s (seeing the low as 4-5)

Read:
SSD 38 MB/s
USB 37 MB/s

NTSC/PAL
Write:
SSD 92 MB/s
USB 27 MB/s

Read:
SSD 115
USB 114

Write:
SSD 27
USB 9

Read:
SSD 38
USB 38

Last edited:
That's what you get for thinking with your gut. The extra speed of the SSD is completely irrelevant to the application. The SSD draws too much power, is too big physically, and dealing with partitioning is a nuisance, at best. Also an SSD costs much more than two equivalent USB drives or SD cards.

Two devices are more flexible, too. I can upgrade one or the other without having to do everything all over. Also, if they are one device, then when you inevitably have to remove the sentry drive to clean it up or copy off recordings, you've taken your tunes out of the car, too.

Personally, taking out 1 disk or 2 makes no difference to me, as I'm the only one driving the car, and it's not like I won't come back with the drive (I like teslacam).

Some other advantages:
1. The read/write speed is usually greater for SSD, even if the transfer speed isn't. This could be better for TeslaCam operations, noted elsewhere; people keep reporting problems with files not being written, or written with 1KB. I can attest to a better experience for me since switching to SSD. My only 1byte cam files are at the points where the car goes to sleep and is no longer recording and sentry is off. I don't know if the car's normal operations gracefully shut down the camera before going to deep sleep.
2. The support of greater temperature ranges might be in favor of SSDs. Jury's still out on this one. I've only looked at the Samsung SSD T5 which does claim in a specific citation that it supports the heat a cabin might get to on a hot day.
3. Cost is equitable with SSD vs multiple "thumb" flash drives. There's all kinds of variance to quality and price, so just because one can find a super cheap 1TB thumb drive OR SSD doesn't mean it's net-better. I'm calling this even.

Partitioning a SSD for TeslaCam is fairly trivial. There are some gotchas. I ran into one and overcame it. No big deal. All this is still beta and I think a better writeup is probably in order.

Power consumption should be about equal or maybe slightly more than two USB thumb drives based upon what I saw from Anandtech. Heat levels of a running flash/thumb drives are of a concern. The SSD is completely cool in the compartment where I had really warm thumb drives. Yes, I'm aware of the ambient temperature of the day and concede this is subjective. Heat overall decreases life of these flash products and SSDs have more parts to handle heat. A TeslaCam drive is going to be constantly written to; this could decrease the lifespan and increase heat, if it wasn't handled appropriately. Unsure of TRIM support on usb flash drives, which also decreases lifespan and slows writes - most SSDs support TRIM. Not sure if Tesla itself does though.

Just to keep this topical though, the Jeda hub clearly planned on just one drive to be connected within the cubby, but made a lot of allowances for it to be a SSD - they could've saved some coin by not including the USB-C small cable, the magnetic plate, etc. I can't help but think they potentially know something we don't here. I'm angling toward SSD myself with the only concern being how long this drive I got will last.

Last edited:
FWIW I chose to get this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OHE8AOI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, not available now---but others likely make a similar unit.

and wire it up directly to the 12v power at the accessory 12v outlet in the center console. I am handy, so I cut off the cigarette lighter plug, pulled the side trim off of the center console and ran the cable from under the phone well through a small hole I drilled back to the area under the rear armrest compartment. PosiTaps used to make the connection. I Velcroed the box to the underside of the flip up door over the lower compartment.

So I kept my 2 front USB ports open for TeslaCam and music. I have 2 full power ports for my Qi charging pad. And I have 3 spares for guest devices. All good.

@Glamisduner

Take his word for it.

From its ads,

Average
Write:
SSD 29-30 MB/s (consistent)
USB 7-8 MB/s (seeing the low as 4-5)

Read:
SSD 38 MB/s
USB 37 MB/s

NTSC/PAL
Write:
SSD 92 MB/s
USB 27 MB/s

Read:
SSD 115
USB 114

Write:
SSD 27
USB 9

Read:
SSD 38
USB 38
So the ssd would be better? I have a spare 860evo 256gb laying around but I'm not sure if it will fit.

The ability to use two devices would be great, but I'm not too worried as i have just partitioned my 64gb usb stick in two since they first launched teslacam. I keep a spare usb In the car without music for when the stick fills up and gets corrupted. It would have been better if They had a third usb 2 Port on the front so i could leave a decoy stick plugged in though :). well, i guess i still can if i use an adapter for power.

Last edited:
going to be very careful and not trying to start a war over ssd vs micro sd, but this guy on the net said it best
considers the application/intended use or purpose of the storage device. If you're buying additional memory for a portable device such as a phone, camera, media player etc, then the form, low power requirement and ready system support of SD storage is more suitable. If performance increase of a computer is the objective, then the obviously superior performance of an SSD makes it the appropriate choice.

An SD card is a proprietary format of a storage chip. Originally designed to be used in small appliances like cameras, phones, etc.

If you're seeing a Tesla like "a portable device (ex. a phone, camera, etc)", then I'd go with high endurance micro sd. I'm looking @it like a computer.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: davewill
Not sure what USB disk you quoted here, but many SD cards have much faster write speeds. For example, the Samsung Pro Endurance reaches around 30MB/s real-world write speed. Remember that Tesla tuned the video compression to work with USB drives, so there is really no practical value in using an SSD with even faster write performance.

It's not SSD VS SD cards. It's SSD (T3) VS SanDisk USB stick.

I look @my source, it said as long as the SSD drive peak power consumption is under 2W for S/X or 6.2W on the Model 3/Y (while writing), it should work fine in the model 3. the SSD T5 500GB (smaller SSDs consume less) peak power consumption is < 5W and its average power usage is under 2 Watts with an IDLE rating of 2 mWatts*.

Last edited:
lol @stodium

ok, here is my LAST contribution to this USB VS SSD talk.

According to an article on USB Flash Drives for Tesla Dashcam @teslatop.com

Write Speed: 40 MB/s or better – as you get slower, the drive cannot keep up with the images being written and the drive may crash, hang or distort the images.

The USB version does not matter in the Tesla, but speeds operation on your PC(Mac), such as viewing and formatting (does matter I guess).

I feel this is not an irrelevant discussion since using small SSD drives is an advertised feature of the Jeda hub.
ok, here is my LAST contribution to this USB VS SSD talk.

According to an article on USB Flash Drives for Tesla Dashcam @teslatop.com

Write Speed: 40 MB/s or better – as you get slower, the drive cannot keep up with the images being written and the drive may crash, hang or distort the images.
This seems way off. One minute of TeslaCam video from one camera consumes about 30MB on disk, so the car writes approximately 90MB/minute for 3 cameras, which is about 1.5MB/s.

Reactions: Glamisduner
I feel this is not an irrelevant discussion since using small SSD drives is an advertised feature of the Jeda hub.
This seems way off. One minute of TeslaCam video from one camera consumes about 30MB on disk, so the car writes approximately 90MB/minute for 3 cameras, which is about 1.5MB/s.
Yes i want to know the best thing to buy that is going to fit into the jeda, faster speeds for writing music and formatting when plugged into a pc is a plus. But I'm thinking to go for a micro sd card, for lower power consumption. However you can get a usb3 usb thumb dive in the 256gb range by a reputable company for like $30-40... Wearing it out over several years isn't sell that important to me so long as I can charge 2 phones while using the dash cam, and it can write fast enough (currently i get video corruption often but i don't know if it is related)a also not worry about it getting too hot in the car. T3 SSD low enough power to meet this requirement?

I imagine done usb3 drives suffer more than others when plugged into a usb 2 Port. Or at least I think I remember reading an article about this before. I'm really torn on what to buy.

Exactly.

Literally any USB storage, key, SDcard, SSD, is massively faster than needed for this use.

But SSDs consume about 10x more power than usb keys or SDcards do, and take up more space too. And usually shorter warranties, and have environmental temp rating much lower... (N00bie keeps confusing environment temps with device temps, despite having admitted the two have different specs in the owners manual of his own device).

He is correct there's been a few folks who have had keys die... but there's a few issues with this anecdotal data- for one the vast majority of owners are likely using keys not SSDs so there's a heavily skewed sample size.... but perhaps the biggest is it's usually someone who took an old 16GB key they had sitting around and began using it for sentry mode with 3 cameras, which likely already had a lot of write cycles used, and on the Tesla will eat through what's left of the ~1000 write cycles even cheap flash is rated for in a matter of months.... while a 128GB version of the same key will take 5-10 years to do so (and a 256GB one decades). If you're REALLY paranoid about it get a high-endurance one and it'll be good for a generation or two while still using a ton less power and space than an SSD will (and carry a better warranty too)

And most importantly, the folks who have data corruption issues, 0 byte repeater files, etc... still get them with SSDs

Again- I love SSDs, they're fantastic in many applications... this doesn't seem to be one of em though.

Reactions: MrTemple
typo on the article. USB for Tesla Dashcam @teslatap.com. You can also find MicroSD for tesla Dashcame there.

I’m not the source so there’s nothing to debate here. Peace!

There's not really any source to speak of other than "this website posted a random number they then offer no factual/technical support for having picked as the number"

As noted by myself and many others, the car isn't, ever, reading or writing even 1/10th as fast as the speed they 'recommend' so their recommendation is pretty nonsensical.

It appears to have been written before a lot of folks had done much testing and discovered using "faster" devices didn't, at all, change the whole corrupt/0 byte video issue... because it's a software problem not a hardware one.... (this should've been obvious to anyone who checked the recording speed in the first place of course)

This is what I'm using personally- no heat issues and has been running fine for months now (indeed Samsung explicitly cites it for use in high temp environments- unlike their T5 SSD they state shouldn't be used in environments above 95 F)

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-MUF-128AB-AM-Plus-128GB/dp/B07D7PDLXC/

It's 'only' 128GB but that's more than plenty for the camera for near a decade or so at current write volumes... (I already had a 256GB stick for music before dashcam became a thing, that's mostly full)- they do offer a 256GB one though it's twice the price.

• Informative
Reactions: lukex4
But SSDs consume about 10x more power than usb keys or SDcards do

Is that power consumption going to actually reflect in any meaningful way? I mean, I feel people jump to conclusions but the power consumption we could absolutely agree on: SSD consumes more than flash, but more like a 5x increase (if that) - but still, what does that mean for a practical use?

To cite a specific example, the Samsung SSD T5 is rated at the following:
The 500GB variant idles at around 0.38W and has a peak power consumption of 3.43W.

So running this for an hour in the car is going to drain how much...? I don't think it's going to be enough to really matter. It would have to be hitting the drive hard to reach the peak - my point is "peak" consumption also isn't realistic.

I was looking at this one on sale for $30, someone says it gets a bit hot though?

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-256G...12ac88430ec93474594683b1d3dc0a&language=en_US

I've experienced my sandisk USB get quite warm after the day. I've recently switched from two USB thumb drives (one of them being Sandisk for TeslaCam) to a single SSD. SSD has never gotten warm in the same scenarios.

I think the USB Knightshade recommended is stellar, but I wish it were 500gb or more. I have all my music on USB and don't want to use two usb/thumb drives, which ultimately is what's moving me to SSD.

I believe SSD has a sweet spot with this Jeda hub when you consider USB media of a large quantity and teslacam. And I'm of the opinion that Teslacam needs 128gb minimum - I know it's overkill, but I don't want a daily or even weekly operation to clean out sentry captures.

Is that power consumption going to actually reflect in any meaningful way? I mean, I feel people jump to conclusions but the power consumption we could absolutely agree on: SSD consumes more than flash, but more like a 5x increase (if that) - but still, what does that mean for a practical use?

To cite a specific example, the Samsung SSD T5 is rated at the following:
The 500GB variant idles at around 0.38W and has a peak power consumption of 3.43W.

Well, for one, it means 3 watts less power charging your cell phone since they're all sharing the same USB ports.... Even on a high-end hub device the tesla port itself is only supplying about 12 watts total per port- eating up almost 1/3rd of it at peak draw to run the SSD means only 2/3rds left to charge your phone... versus using a USB key where max consumption will be about 1/10th of that 3.43 W.

On top of that many are using things like inexpensive USB hubs to add ports, those usually only supply ~900ma total current so you're talking 900ma at 5v, or a mere 4.5 watts total available... If your SSD is eating 3.43 watts of that it doesn't leave hardly anything for your phone.

Now if you're running your stuff off a 12v connection you've got a ton of power, but the vast majority of Model 3 owners are just using the much lower power the USB ports put out for this stuff.

So running this for an hour in the car is going to drain how much...?

Why only an hour? When discussing write endurance we were using 9-10 hours a day as the example case- 8 hours in sentry at work, 1-2 hours for other driving to/from/etc

It's not going to be a ton of course, roughly 1 kwh per month.... or about 16% of the total capacity of a Model 3 battery per year. Still, a USB key would be 1.6% instead over a year. (both at peak draw, real life will be lower for both, but comparably lower for both so the ratio should remain)

Still, this is just an example of a way in which the SSD is measurably "worse" without offering anything better in exchange.

I've experienced my sandisk USB get quite warm after the day.

Can't speak to sandisk, but the Samsung one I mentioned both advertises as specifically for hot environments, but also doesn't itself ever get especially warm, let alone hot, in use in my Tesla.

It's also virtually invisible should someone break in being both super tiny and matching the black interior... versus a much larger and more obvious SSD.

I have all my music on USB and don't want to use two usb/thumb drives, which ultimately is what's moving me to SSD.

Well, as I say I already had another Samsung 256GB drive with my music collection on it for months before the dashcam feature came along...so it didn't make much sense to get a super large device to add the camera recording WITH music instead of just keep using what I had and get a 128GB for the camera.

I do find some other upsides to using 2 keys though- I can take the music key out to update my music collection while still leaving the dashcam stuff working fine if it takes me a couple days to get that done....

Ditto if I'm travelling other than by car (like flying someplace and renting when I get there) I can take the music key with me without losing the dashcam feature on the Tesla for sentry or if my wife needs to drive it while I'm gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrTemple