Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jeda just released a new USB hub. Mounts Flush and hides flash drive

Buying it?

• Yes

Votes: 64 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 75 26.5%
  • Maybe at $50

Votes: 144 50.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To Knightshade,

Where on the net did you get the idea that USB sticks have more tolerant of high ambient cabin temps than SSDs?

In case anyone miss it and this is just so that we're all clear. What it said about temperature between 5°C - 35°C is not an actual Specs. If you wan to compare specs by specs, here we go. See for yourself if you think USB sticks have MUCH higher temp-rated than any portable SSDs. / thread.

Samsung SSD T5 Portable Specs: 500 GB $89.99 @best Buy

Operating 0°C to 60°C (140 degree)
Non-Operating -40°C to 85°C (185 degree)
vs
Samsung USB 3.1 FLASH DRIVE Specs: 256 GB $50.99

Operating Temperature: 32 degree to 140 degree
Non-Operating Temperature: -50 degree to 158 degree
vs
Samsung USB 3.1 Flash Drive Bar Plus 128GB $25.99

Operating Temperature: 32 to 140 degree
Non-operating Temperature: -10 to 70℃ (158 degree)

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott7
To Knightshade,

Where on the net did you get the idea that USB sticks have more tolerant of high ambient cabin temps than SSDs?

From the manufactures documents.

Which I've directly quoted to you, multiple times, with direct links.

And you keep ignoring and reporting incorrect specs from Best Buy and Amazon.

Why you keep doing it is an open question.

Here, for the third time in this very thread is samsung telling you your claims are wrong

https://www.samsung.com/semiconduct...2057&cjevent=193501b89f3411e9818b02f40a24060f

Samsung.com T5 manual said:
Use the product in appropriate environment: temperature between 5°C - 35°C

Now compared to

the Samsung BAR plus USB Flash drive

USB 3.1 Flash Drive BAR Plus 128GB Champagne Silver Memory & Storage - MUF-128BE3/AM | Samsung US

Samsung.com Operating Temp range said:
Operating Temperature 0~60℃

35c, the max temp in which you should use the T5 SSD PER SAMSUNG is 95 Farenheit

While the USB key is good to 60, which is 140 Farenheit.

Where, specifically, do you keep getting lost in these facts directly provided from Samsung?

• Disagree
Where, specifically, do you keep getting lost in these facts directly provided from Samsung?

Well he didn't provide a great link to it, but it IS buried in the Samsung literature. Here you go.
Go to this page:
Samsung Portable SSD T5 | Samsung External Storage
Go to the T5 Brochure under "Download Files"
https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/global.semi.static/T5_2019_brochure_Simulation.pdf

Temperature 0-60C (Operating), -40C-85C (non-operating)

Now, as it's pointed out in other threads there's a difference between what it CAN operate in vs what it SHOULD be operated in. Think of it like speed limits. Manuals aren't going to say that this thing operates at 60C because that probably would decrease its lifespan under warrantee.

However, the disparity between the user manual and the brochure isn't for us to argue, it's a legal issue since it is actually in print.

Reactions: Skione65 and n00bie
I agree it's over priced, but it does exactly what i want so i bought it anyways.

Well i buggy it yesterday before finding this thread. I didn't know it would not fit a regular ssd dive. pretty bummed about that since I don't have any spare nvme drives. Add a new hard drive to the cost i guess.

Last edited:
Thank you, Kognos.

Don't quote me on this, but USB flash drives are not built for this kind of use. They are made for occasional writing, not continuous or regular writes.

USB flash drives and SSDs use literally the same technology for storage- flash memory.

There are certainly different grades/types of flash- but even the cheapest type of flash memory is rated for 1000 write cycles (that is, writing the entire capacity of the device worth of data, 1000 times).

I've shown the math on this before...

So a 128GB key would be rated to handle 128GB times 1000 in written data.

The cameras use 5.4 GB per hour of operation. Meaning if you run them say 9 hours a day (8 hours at work, 1 hour of "driving" between to/from work which is actually less than average and probably this averages out with weekend use where you may not drive as much, or if you have a second car)) you're using 48.6 GB per day.

So every 2.63 days you use ONE cycle of writes.

You have 1000 of them to use.

Giving you 2630 days.

That's 7.2 years. On the cheapest rated USB key flash memory.

A 256GB key would be good for almost 15 years.

And better quality flash keys even longer (3-5 times longer depending on the type of flash used)

I've personally never owned a single car for 15 years in a row (and only 1 longer than 7), but YMMV.

Plus the key has a longer warranty than the SSD, and explictly advertises being intended/designed for higher-temp environments (like your car interior in the summer)

The key also has a much better shock rating per the SSD vs Key user manuals/specs- but to be honest if you experience enough shock to cause data loss on an SSD you likely have MUCH bigger concerns :)

• Disagree
I'm surprised they didn't do a couple of things.

1. Put TWO USB ports inside so you could plug in a sentry AND a music drive.
2. Add a power input so that if you could optionally run extra power to it and support high charging rates.

Then it might actually be worth the money they're charging.

Reactions: DJVoorhees
Don't quote me on this, but USB flash drives are not built for this kind of use. They are made for occasional writing, not continuous or regular writes.
It depends on the type of flash memory and the controller. But it's true that there are few (if any) USB flash drives with high write endurance in the consumer market. But you can buy SD cards with high endurance and use them in the Tesla with a USB adapter.

I'm surprised they didn't do a couple of things.

1. Put TWO USB ports inside so you could plug in a sentry AND a music drive.
2. Add a power input so that if you could optionally run extra power to it and support high charging rates.

Then it might actually be worth the money they're charging.

That's why I asked about the SSD volume and on a related thread I've started pushing the multiple volumes per drive, and trying to fix my issue of teslacam + music on one SSD. Because I can see a long-term vision idea where really you just manage a singular external storage device. If that really works, then devices like this thread is pushing are perfect and even more optimal ... thumb/flash drives aren't as fast as SSDs.

I just have a gut feeling that it's better to have faster writes and more space, and SSD is ultimately going to be more reliable in this context. And no real point in getting two USB thumb drives if you can get one faster unit that this particular hub works well with, yes?

It also answers a different problem - most devices are moving to USB-C and there are two available by this device.

If I can solve the single SSD problem I probably would get this Jeda hub.

That's why I asked about the SSD volume and on a related thread I've started pushing the multiple volumes per drive, and trying to fix my issue of teslacam + music on one SSD. Because I can see a long-term vision idea where really you just manage a singular external storage device. If that really works, then devices like this thread is pushing are perfect and even more optimal ... thumb/flash drives aren't as fast as SSDs.

I just have a gut feeling that it's better to have faster writes and more space, and SSD is ultimately going to be more reliable in this context. And no real point in getting two USB thumb drives if you can get one faster unit that this particular hub works well with, yes?

It also answers a different problem - most devices are moving to USB-C and there are two available by this device.

If I can solve the single SSD problem I probably would get this Jeda hub.
That's what you get for thinking with your gut. The extra speed of the SSD is completely irrelevant to the application. The SSD draws too much power, is too big physically, and dealing with partitioning is a nuisance, at best. Also an SSD costs much more than two equivalent USB drives or SD cards.

Two devices are more flexible. I can upgrade one or the other without having to do everything all over. When you inevitably have to remove the sentry drive to clean it up or copy off recordings, you haven't taken your tunes out of the car, too.

Further investigation, as suspected even User Manual for the Portable SSD X5 Thunderbolt 3 (an even more expensive and tech savy version) said
temperature between 5°C - 35°C (its actual specs: Operating 0°C to 60°C and Non-Operating -40°C to 85°C). SSD X5, inside, HAS

1. Dynamic Thermal Guard technology (helps maintain optimal performance and temperature)
  2. a heat sink (keeps surface temperature below 45°C*)
AND it advertises being "Built to be cool and durable."

Last edited: