Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jeda just released a new USB hub. Mounts Flush and hides flash drive

Buying it?

• Yes

Votes: 64 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 75 26.5%
  • Maybe at $50

Votes: 144 50.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not talking about HEAT from inside a car. it's a USB drive heating up even after only a couple minutes of use.

the drive doesn't know, or care, where the heat came from.

The SSD you suggest is designed to only operate in temps up to 95 degrees- the car gets hotter than that just sitting parked in warm weather.

The USB keys others use are rated to much higher operating temps, and don't get hot enough to cause issues generally... (the write speeds from the cameras is very, very low- as is the read speeds from music drives and these keys draw about 10x less power than the SSD does)

Last edited:
Reactions: jjrandorin
a quick googling...

Non operating:
- 40 degree (Fahrenheit)
185 degree (Fahrenheit)

not sure what you mean by the drive doesn't know...I said heat, I meant a USB flash drive that it would heat up even after only a couple minutes of use. I'm not here to debate (or try to be right). just a reply with an answer to someone's question about external SSD. The product photo also has Samsung ssd t5 on it. I can google and go on about why SSD over USB, but I'm not going to. Only a suggestion, your choice, good or bad. peace!

a quick googling...

Non operating:
- 40 degree (Fahrenheit)
185 degree (Fahrenheit)

Your realize the drive is operating when the car is parked and sentry mode is on, right?

not sure what you mean by the drive doesn't know...

I mean if the drive exceeds its operating temp because of heat the drive is producing, or because of heat the sun/greenhouse effect in the car is producing- the drive doesn't know, or care, which one is causing it.

It's still operating outside of the specs of the hardware.

I said heat, I meant a USB flash drive that it would heat up even after only a couple minutes of use.

Yes, but it won't heat up to temps outside its operating temp. Especially not with the very light demands the Tesla puts on it.

Whereas the SSD, just sitting there doing the same job, will routinely exceed its operating temp in the summer just by being in a car in the summer- because its operating temp range is much narrower.

Again that doesn't mean it's going to melt as soon as the interior temp hits 96... but it's a lot more likely to fail prematurely spending considerable time at higher-than-rated operating temps than a USB stick that's operating well within its parameters.

Probably one of the reasons the USB stick has years of additional warranty- it's rated for a much wider range of conditions.

• Disagree
Reactions: Scott7
another googling...

Operating (I think it means when you're using the SSD)
140 degree Fahrenheit

Not sure what you are googling, but it's wrong (ironically 140 is the actual rated temp on the USB key- not the SSD)

I gave you a direct link to the actual owners manual from Samsung, and quoted it to you.

Maybe scroll back and check that out?

in fact here, I'll save you the trouble since you're having issues finding stuff

https://www.samsung.com/semiconduct...2057&cjevent=2b0921ca9e1511e983cf01ff0a240610

Again, that's the owners manual of your SSD.

Your manual said:
Use the product in appropriate environment: temperature between 5°C - 35°C

That's 41-95 degrees Fahrenheit.

a
if you call media files transferring (24 7) Light, you win!

...huh?

The music drive isn't doing that. It's occasionally reading files, but doing so at a very slow speed (typically 128kb/s to 320kb/s maybe a bit higher for lossless files but still a tiny tiny fraction of the 300MB/s max speed of the drive)

The camera drive isn't doing that either- it's writing files also at a very slow speed.. (1.5 mb/sec...again a tiny fraction of the max write speed of the drive- and only when the car is awake (which is maybe 10-12 hours a day for most folks? I suppose you might run sentry 24/7 if you park on the street at night or something but it'd still be running at a very tiny fraction of its rated speed and thus not generating much heat)

If the USB drive was heating itself up to 150 just from basic functionality it'd be defective.

The only reason the SSD is a problem is the external temp input from the sun shining on the car... the USB key doesn't have that issue since it can handle 45 degrees higher temps in its specs- and again Samsung specifically calls that out as a benefit of the device.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: lukex4
Reply to Knightshade, you're not wrong. The manual says "Appropriate Temperature" (ONLY operate in temps up to 95 degrees isn't what it meant though).

Samsung SSD T5 Specs:

Reliability

Temperature

Operating 0°C to 60°C (140 degree)
Non-Operating -40°C to 85°C (185 degree)

A fair point but anyone who's willing to use sentry would probably have COHP active as well especially in this context.

Leaving sentry on for longer than 12 hours in a hot condition would be a risky bet.

COHP doesn't keep the car below 95 though- it kicks in if the car gets above 105.

Don't get me wrong, SSDs are awesome for a ton of applications-I've own a number of em... just doesn't seem to make much sense for this one...

Speed, SSDs strongest suit, is irrelevant here since no use in a Tesla will require anywhere near even a significant fraction of the speed of the slowest USB storage on the market.

Endurance- because SSDs tend to use a better quality of flash memory than SDcards and USB keys-is the other strong suit- and also is irrelevant- totally for music since you are basically just writing "once" so you'll never wear it out that way- and still largely for dashcam because the amount of data written is tiny... a 128GB key should still be good for 5-10 years in normal use even with the "cheap" type of flash- a 256GB key for 1-2 decades- and if you're really paranoid you can pay a couple bucks more for "endurance" flash or SDcards that are rated for multiple decades of writes at the rate the Tesla writes to the flash in normal use (assuming 10-12 hrs/day)

So the two normal upsides of an SSD don't help at all.

The downsides all hurt though- They're less tolerant of high ambient cabin temps, they're more expensive, they use more power in operation (roughly 10 times more), and they take up more space too.

FWIW specs on that drive also say

Operating temperature 32ºF to 95ºF (0ºC to 35ºC)

So slightly lower than the Samsung for cold temps, but same limit on the high end.

Obviously that spec doesn't mean it's gonna explode at 96 degrees, but I'd be less confident in that devices long term reliability sitting in a 100+ degree car routinely than a device whose operating temp range goes a lot higher (and specifically calls out in its features it's designed to handle high temp operation)
Yes, and you've pointed that out several times before. Generally what that spec means is that they no longer guarantee the device if you exceed those numbers. Practical experience has shown this ssd solution to be more reliable than any of the flash drives (all high quality ones) I've used previously. Of course my use case may not be typical for folks in the south - I have an air conditioned garage, and a relatively cool garage to park in at work. And if/when this ssd goes "out" you'll certainly hear about it from me here.

SSDs are about the same price per GB as USB flash drives.

Still no problems with my SSD even when parked in the sun all day at work. I’ve not heard of anyone that had an SSD fail in their Tesla but have read about many flash drives failures. YMMV.

Still no problems with my SSD even when parked in the sun all day at work. I’ve not heard of anyone that had an SSD fail in their Tesla

Sentry mode has only existed for a few months. Summer is only just here. I wouldn't expect to hear any for a while even if it's a significant concern- as I say HW rated for 95 degree max temps doesn't just melt when it hits 96. It just means it's likely to fail significantly sooner than expected if exposed to higher temps for long periods.

Unfortunately since nobody is going to go get say 100 identical Model 3s and test half with SSDs and half with USB keys, for years, in identical conditions/temps, we won't ever really have a definitive answer- so since all we really have to go on are MFG specs, I'm sticking with the much higher temp-rated USB stick, with the much longer warranty, so I need not worry about it, since none of the things the SSD does better are of any benefit in this situation, while the things the USB key does may be (much lower power use and much higher rated operating environment temps)

• Disagree