Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jolt EV charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. Pokeing around in Plugshare the highest report is 21kW, but most in the 18-20kW range.

Now it wouldn't surprise me if these chargers are actually fed by a 3ph 32A supply (about 22kW), and then you lose a bit in conversion to DC and running the ad board.

But the tapering is strange.

If you go to LinkedIn there is a 9News video on the AusGrid and Jolt Networks site

The unit seems to be sitting in a carspot outside a 2-story building.
Makes be thinks it's actually a test install inside the Hornsby AusGrid depot.

Weird suburbs to be starting in..
I'd have thought Sydney's East and Inner West where you have a high %ge of people relying on street parking (and probably a higher percentage of EVs) would have been smarter.

Weird suburbs to be starting in..
I'd have thought Sydney's East and Inner West where you have a high %ge of people relying on street parking (and probably a higher percentage of EVs) would have been smarter.
Hornsby and neighbouring Waitara have a huge amount of high and low rise apartments so public charging will be needed for those who can't simply plug in or install their own charging equipment at home.

Weird suburbs to be starting in.. I'd have thought Sydney's East and Inner West where you have a high %ge of people relying on street parking (and probably a higher percentage of EVs) would have been smarter.
The Inner West has a low proportion of EVs precisely because there is so little off-street parking. Although having said that, I saw three Model 3s parked on the street this morning within a few km of my house.

I've noticed Jolt now shows up as a filterable network in Plugshare:

Xc0TX5R.png

There are quite a few up and running (all Adelaide so far):

yYv9Bz2.png

What do people see as the use case of a 20-ish kW charger? To me, that's in the Range of Uselessness.

Up to 7 kW is perfectly adequate for overnight charging. Hence built-in (AC) chargers in EVs have about this power.
(Well) beyond 50kW is great for on a trip. Hence Superchargers are 120+ kW (SOC and battery dependent of course).

When would a two to four (?) hour charge be useful?

I don't spend much time at shopping centres, is that somewhere people would actually bother to seek out a charging station? Perhaps because I can charge at home I've never bothered looking for a charger in suburban Melbourne.

When would you use these?

Ta.

Reactions: Hairyman
What do people see as the use case of a 20-ish kW charger? To me, that's in the Range of Uselessness.

Up to 7 kW is perfectly adequate for overnight charging. Hence built-in (AC) chargers in EVs have about this power.
(Well) beyond 50kW is great for on a trip. Hence Superchargers are 120+ kW (SOC and battery dependent of course).

When would a two to four (?) hour charge be useful?

I don't spend much time at shopping centres, is that somewhere people would actually bother to seek out a charging station? Perhaps because I can charge at home I've never bothered looking for a charger in suburban Melbourne.

When would you use these?

Ta.
On the Stuart Highway between Port Augusta and Alice Springs.
Glendambo Roadhouse in this case, where AEVA/TOCA have supplied a 3 phase 32A power point.
My V1 UMC is plugged in and charging my car at 3 phase 16A or 11 Kw, which gave about 60Km/h recharge rate.
A third party 32A 3 phase charge connector would have given me 22Kw, upped the recharge rate to about 110Kmh and shortened my stay from 4 hours to 2.
I brought a book to read.

1628679690003.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: cafz and Hairyman