Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Jolt EV charging network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
. An idle fee of $1.00 per minute is charged to vehicles still plugged in and occupying the space but no longer charging. they would have to reduce the amps to avoid the fee- not ideal
A Tesla cannot vary DC input by the driver, you get what is available from the charger. So the ability to vary the charging rate as in AC charging is gone. So idle charges should be invoked for delinquent owners.

Perfect for a quick trip to the supermarket
Most train commuter car parks run by T of NSW are not close to shops. 30 min = 15min there and back not including actual shopping. The Hornsby train station commuter car park to Westfield Hornsby Woolworths and back will be about that.

Maybe it will be good for Commuters on their return to the car. However the usual Jolt with 1 charging bay is next to useless for a commuter parking station which typically have approx 200-400 spots.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, first time poster in this thread, I've just picked up my MY last week and learning all the charging network in Sydney. About Jolt, is there a way we can set up max 7kwh before the section or have to manually monitor the charging?

If we have to manually monitor and stop before the free limit. Is there any tips that we can correctly apply? For example, how reliable and stable the speed is? So we can set up the alarm in our phone to stop when it reaches the limit? Say exact 15 or 17mins?

Thank a lot! :)

we can set up max 7kwh
No - its all manual. You could try and workout what the % change in battery SoC from 7kWh. But bear in mind Tesla does not display % in decimal places.

It really depends on how important it is to not pay for charging.

I stop it on the Car when it reaches 6.93kWh. You can also stop it on the Jolt App but i think there is a slight lag.
So beware of the lag between stopping charging and it actually stops.

If it goes above 7.00kWh you get charged the minimum fee of $0.50 until you go beyond 8.08kW. Above that the amount paid goes up by $0.46/kWh

This is because the minimum charge of $0.50 covers electricity costs between 7.00 and 8.08kWh.

Setting alarm if fine but bear in mind that sometimes the charge rate slows down/changes. ive seen it at 23.5kWh which slightly shortens the time.

Basically if you are intent on not paying you have to watch it after 15 min

No - its all manual. You could try and workout what the % change in battery SoC from 7kWh. But bear in mind Tesla does not display % in decimal places.

It really depends on how important it is to not pay for charging.

I stop it on the Car when it reaches 6.93kWh. You can also stop it on the Jolt App but i think there is a slight lag.
So beware of the lag between stopping charging and it actually stops.

If it goes above 7.00kWh you get charged the minimum fee of $0.50 until you go beyond 8.08kW. Above that the amount paid goes up by $0.46/kWh

This is because the minimum charge of $0.50 covers electricity costs between 7.00 and 8.08kWh.

Setting alarm if fine but bear in mind that sometimes the charge rate slows down/changes. ive seen it at 23.5kWh which slightly shortens the time.

Basically if you are intent on not paying you have to watch it after 15 min
Thanks a lot for your information, for me it's not about avoiding fees but considering more charging options. I normally charge at home with solar, and there're few Jolt chargers near my home. I may just use it very occasionally. For rule of thumb, maybe just set the alarm to stop at 15-16mins, the max speed is 25kw, if it fluctuates, it just go lower rather than higher than that.

Before their car arrives, many people think that hunting down the cheapest (or free) energy is what you need to do, but you soon realise it's the convenience and simplicity of home charging that is the advantage. The follow calculations vary massively based on your solar export rate, but for me with an export rate of 10.869c/kWh, 7 kWh is about 76 cents. Is it really worth driving to your nearest Jolt charger, plugging it in, waiting 15 minutes and then driving home to save 76c? Noting that (as mentioned above) if you go over, there is a 50c flagfall, so you've only saved 26c. If the charger is 10 km from your house you've basically saved nothing.

relying solely on public charging for 2 EVs
I estimate that my annual EV power consumption will be about 4000kWh
If I charge entirely at night @ 0.20c/kWh = $800 p.a

(Im lucky though as i have free charging at work)

Its hardly worth it by any metric. Though I see a lot of people queuing using the free charger at my local shopping centre (in a suburb where there are no apartment/townhouse - everyone has a double lock up garage, just to save a few $ a day.

Several even permanently park one other car in the parking lot. They use that car - often an ICE to go to their nearby home while the EV is charging and then come back in the ICE to swop with the EV when charging is complete.

Two have kids in the car doing home work after school while the EV queues/ charges.

I'm sick of everyone making all the comparisons based on their wonderful solar and battery systems.
Not all of us have the option of this luxury, nor will our landlords be thinking about it any time soon.
We're trying to reduce people using public chargers when they don't need to, to keep them available for those who do!

My off-peak rate is 16.8c, so close enough to the 10.8c solar rate that the same logic above applies.

I'm sick of everyone making all the comparisons based on their wonderful solar and battery systems.
Understand. There are lots of people who don't have at home charging/charging at work/ charging off solar. Which is why I mentioned my calculation of $800 per year which is charging at night when the sun don't shine.

So for you:
The amount of Jolt kWh that would equate to 20c/kWh at the invoice = 12kWh (costing $2.30)- assuming casual non subscription plan

However, people who don't have charging at home /solar will benefit from the $10/month plan (Assuming they are relatively close to a Jolt)

$10/month for 10kWh/day
Lets assume charging 5 times a day = 50kWh
In a year = 2600kWh

2600kWh costing $120pa = 4.6c/kWh. This is cheaper than any off peak tariff at home or any Feed in Tariff from solar

If charging every day of the year = 3640kWh = 3.3c/kWh at $120 per year +inconvenience of going to charger if out of your normal daily driving or maybe queuing and waiting while car charges.