Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Juicebox charger users? Level 2 charger, 40 or 32 amp. Plus kilowatt hour tracking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
multi point question. I have a nema outlet and I’m using the tesla mobile charger. Works great.

I have a 40amp breaker on my panel.

I’m looking at the juicebox charger to charge the car. I like the juicebox because of the app. It tracks electricity used per charge which is ideal for tracking my charging and paying for my electricity.

(If anyone has a different charger they recommended with electricity tracking let me know).

Now with the 40 amp breaker on my panel. Should I get the 40amp juicebox or the 32amp juicebox charger?

Now with the 40 amp breaker on my panel. Should I get the 40amp juicebox or the 32amp juicebox charger?

You will only be able to draw 32 amps continuously on a circuit with a 40A breaker, so that means getting the 32A version. (You would need a 50 amp breaker to use the 40A version.)

The good news is that if you charge overnight, the extra time it takes to charge at 32A won't make any difference, plus that won't generate as much heat as 40A would while charging, which can prolong component life.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
DE382836-8EF7-4979-AB26-3813B36D0EC5.png

We’ve had a EV MotorWerks WattBox (now discontinued) for ~ 3.5 years recording our Tesla HPWC charging. I love the EV JuiceNet app and web portal since it documents every charge in great detail which is perfect for “fuel” reimbursement.

Note the eMotorWerks servers randomly go Offline then back Online occasionally but these glitches have been getting fewer and farther between.

Attachments

• 2D746D6B-056C-4C3D-B20E-3777733737F4.png
    2D746D6B-056C-4C3D-B20E-3777733737F4.png
    315 KB · Views: 53
You will only be able to draw 32 amps continuously on a circuit with a 40A breaker, so that means getting the 32A version. (You would need a 50 amp breaker to use the 40A version.)

The good news is that if you charge overnight, the extra time it takes to charge at 32A won't make any difference, plus that won't generate as much heat as 40A would while charging, which can prolong component life.
Ya I suit down clock my amps on the model 3 to 25amp. I’m not in a hurry given I have the long range version and charge overnight.

View attachment 409376

We’ve had a EV MotorWerks WattBox (now discontinued) for ~ 3.5 years recording our Tesla HPWC charging. I love the EV JuiceNet app and web portal since it documents every charge in great detail which is perfect for “fuel” reimbursement.

Note the eMotorWerks servers randomly go Offline then back Online occasionally but these glitches have been getting fewer and farther between.
That’s my only criticism is habit to rely on a 3rd party. Wished the stats would be on the device itself Incase the company stops supporting the device.

multi point question. I have a nema outlet and I’m using the tesla mobile charger. Works great.

I have a 40amp breaker on my panel.

I’m looking at the juicebox charger to charge the car. I like the juicebox because of the app. It tracks electricity used per charge which is ideal for tracking my charging and paying for my electricity.

I own a Clipper Creek HCS-40 with JuiceNet board installed, so it's the same as what you're considering from a software perspective. I bought this for a Chevy Volt that I leased, but I recently replaced that car with a Model 3. Using any non-Tesla EVSE has some minor drawbacks because you need Tesla's J1772 adapter and the button on the plug's handle won't open the Tesla's charge port door. I also often have to wake up the car in one way or another to unplug the EVSE, but I don't know if the same would be true with Tesla's EVSE. (When a charge is still in progress, interrupting it by pushing the button on the J1772 handle while I've got my cell phone on me usually unlocks the charge port, but after the charge has finished and the car goes to sleep, this no longer works.)

(If anyone has a different charger they recommended with electricity tracking let me know).

You can get the same data out of TeslaFi, just measured on the car's side rather than the EVSE side. I've compared the two, and they're virtually identical in what they say the car is consuming. TeslaFi also gives you access to charge data away from home, if that's important to you. Of course, TeslaFi is a subscription service (currently $5/month or $50/year), and using it requires giving a third party access to your car's data, so it's got its downsides, but it's worth considering as an alternative. I'm pretty sure some other third-party apps provide similar data, but I don't have specific suggestions. You can also access the data yourself using Tesla's API, but you'd need to be able to write a program to do it, unless somebody's written something already. (That's what the various apps are, really, although some of them are services that involve a third-party server.)

Two other J1772 EVSEs that might do the trick are the ChargePoint Home and OpenEVSE. A friend of mine has a ChargePoint Home, but I don't know precisely what sort of data it provides. I'm pretty sure that the ChargePoint Home gives you access to data from both your home EVSE and any public ChargePoint EVSEs you might use, which would be an advantage if you want to track such charges. You can also get the JuiceNet board installed in Clipper Creek or Aerovironment devices; see this page of the eMotorWerks site. (I bought the Clipper Creek version because, at the time I bought my EVSE, the JuiceBox was not yet UL or ETL certified. It's since earned that certification.)

For continuous use (as in an EVSE), you should pull only 80% of the rated breaker (and wiring) amperage, which is 32A for a 40A breaker. If the wiring is capable of handling more amperage, you could replace the breaker (it's cheap) and get the 40A JuiceBox, but if the breaker is 40A, chances are the wiring is rated for the same. As I understand it (I'm not an expert), the difference between the official rating and what you can draw continuously is largely to do with the difference between momentary and continuous loads -- a brief burst of 40A draw on a 40A circuit won't cause a lot of excess heat, but a continuous load, over hours, may heat it up beyond what it can take. This is especially true if there's a weak connection or if the wires degrade a bit because they've been bent or otherwise stressed.

• Informative
Reactions: Rottenapplr
Two comments: I love our JuiceBox Pro 40, and have had it for three years tracking a Volvo PHEV, Nissan Leaf, and Model 3 over that time. The data does live on the company's servers, but you can export to CSV periodically so as to have your own local copy of the data. It's also handy to be able to set time of use scheduling on the device so you don't rely on whatever cars are plugging in to respect the schedule. You can also have it remind you if no car is plugged in at a particular time.

Second, I'm going to be selling it as our 2nd Tesla will be coming in soon and I'm moving to dual HPWCs so as to share the load on the one circuit coming into the garage. If OP or anyone else is interested, lemme know.

I love our JuiceBox Pro 40, and have had it for three years tracking a Volvo PHEV, Nissan Leaf, and Model 3 over that time. The data does live on the company's servers, but you can export to CSV periodically so as to have your own local copy of the data. It's also handy to be able to set time of use scheduling on the device so you don't rely on whatever cars are plugging in to respect the schedule. You can also have it remind you if no car is plugged in at a particular time.

Have you been able to get your Tesla to honor the time-of-use scheduling controlled from the EVSE? My Tesla Model 3 won't wake up to charge if it's asleep when the EVSE begins making power available, so that feature is next to useless. (I'm guessing it could be worked around by having something wake up the car just prior to the time that the EVSE begins to apply power, but I've not gone very far down that path.)

Have you been able to get your Tesla to honor the time-of-use scheduling controlled from the EVSE? My Tesla Model 3 won't wake up to charge if it's asleep when the EVSE begins making power available, so that feature is next to useless. (I'm guessing it could be worked around by having something wake up the car just prior to the time that the EVSE begins to apply power, but I've not gone very far down that path.)

Yes, by setting the Tesla to the same time. It'll wake itself up and charge. Emotorwerks says it's a bug on Tesla's end where the car when asleep doesn't react to the EVSE advertising that the juice can flow.

What happens when you have the tesla charge at any time? When the juicebox powers up for TOU charging, will the car accept the charge?
The bug is that the Tesla is not respecting J1772 communication when the JuiceBox opens up for TOU if the car is asleep. If the JuiceBox is set to allow charging at any time, everything works. If the JB is set with a ToU time, you have to also set the Tesla to charge at that time so it wakes itself up and charges.

Emotorwerks has also created a work around where you can tell the JB that you're charging a Model 3 and the JB will allow charging even when ToU is not in effect, but at a low rate. I don't like that work around, so I just set the car for the same time. This works reliably.

Using any non-Tesla EVSE has some minor drawbacks because you need Tesla's J1772 adapter and the button on the plug's handle won't open the Tesla's charge port door.
Why do people continue to keep mentioning this? For about the last 3.5 to 4 years, all cars that Tesla has made let you just touch the port door with your finger, and it will pop open. Yes, I have one of the very old early 2014 cars that doesn't do that, but for the vast majority of people here, this is totally a non-issue. And this is the Model 3 section of the forum, by the way, so all Model 3s have that press-to-open port.

Why do people continue to keep mentioning this? For about the last 3.5 to 4 years, all cars that Tesla has made let you just touch the port door with your finger, and it will pop open. Yes, I have one of the very old early 2014 cars that doesn't do that, but for the vast majority of people here, this is totally a non-issue. And this is the Model 3 section of the forum, by the way, so all Model 3s have that press-to-open port.

Not if the car's asleep. It's a minor thing to be sure, but you can't just unplug it (or touch-to-open the charge port) until you first wake the car up (by opening a door, for example).

Two other J1772 EVSEs that might do the trick are the ChargePoint Home and OpenEVSE. A friend of mine has a ChargePoint Home, but I don't know precisely what sort of data it provides. I'm pretty sure that the ChargePoint Home gives you access to data from both your home EVSE and any public ChargePoint EVSEs you might use, which would be an advantage if you want to track such charges. You can also get the JuiceNet board installed in Clipper Creek or Aerovironment devices; see this page of the eMotorWerks site. (I bought the Clipper Creek version because, at the time I bought my EVSE, the JuiceBox was not yet UL or ETL certified. It's since earned that certification.)
Regarding Chargepoint Home...the website as well as the app provides all kinds of data. Unsure about whether you'll get data w/o mothership connection.

Here is an example of one of the screens. Data can also be exported in various formats, csv, graphs, etc.. I have my non-Tesla EV set to departure charging, so I let the car decide when to start charging according to my departure time. The table below show total time plugged in and not "charging" time which is shorter than total plugged in time.

upload_2019-5-20_13-20-36.png

upload_2019-5-20_13-27-46.png

Last edited:
Not if the car's asleep. It's a minor thing to be sure, but you can't just unplug it (or touch-to-open the charge port) until you first wake the car up (by opening a door, for example).
But wouldn't that also apply to pressing the button on a genuine certified Tesla (TM) branded charging plug? o_O So why is that relevant? I think you are right that if the car is asleep, no method will be able to pop the charge port. But my point was that people make it sound like some hardship if you have to press the port door with your finger instead of having to press a button on a charging handle with your finger.