Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

July 2023 and AP1 is still a better driving experience on Interstates than FSDb

Is AP1 a better driving experience on interstates than FSDb?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I prefer AP1, but I don't think your update has any driving improvements. My understanding is that there has not been development for ages?
They make small changes I think like I see these bottom 2 options in service mode after the update now. There is a service mode plus now. Not sure what is it.

Attachments

• IMG_0188_Original.jpeg
    IMG_0188_Original.jpeg
    357.9 KB · Views: 92
I find it kind of interesting that in the poll, FSD is "winning", but the written comments in the thread lean fairly strongly towards AP1.

Bruce.
The poll choices are not the best. A simple binary almost always can at times lack the precision to sus out nuances IMHO.

With 10 choices you can almost replicate a 3x3 matrix - for this thread something like:

I’ve [have owned/have not owned but driven with/have not owned nor driven with] an AP1 Tesla and find AP1 to be [better/worse/about the same] than FSDb on interstates (this gives 9 possible responses and allows the data to capture the details on where people are coming from).

That aside, I’ve never owned an AP1 Tesla but have driven a few with AP1 over the years - loaners - and recall being impressed with the confidence of AP1 vs AP2 (FSD was not released IIRC whenever I had a loaner car). For my HW2 S and HW4 X I’ve been pleased with basic autopilot for the highway and find it to be pretty bullet proof but will note it’s just staying in the lane not making command decisions or being asked to change lanes. Don’t know how to recon that to AP1 of yesteryear vs FSD of today (Q3 2023).

The poll choices are not the best. A simple binary almost always can at times lack the precision to sus out nuances IMHO.

With 10 choices you can almost replicate a 3x3 matrix - for this thread something like:

I’ve [have owned/have not owned but driven with/have not owned nor driven with] an AP1 Tesla and find AP1 to be [better/worse/about the same] than FSDb on interstates (this gives 9 possible responses and allows the data to capture the details on where people are coming from).

That aside, I’ve never owned an AP1 Tesla but have driven a few with AP1 over the years - loaners - and recall being impressed with the confidence of AP1 vs AP2 (FSD was not released IIRC whenever I had a loaner car). For my HW2 S and HW4 X I’ve been pleased with basic autopilot for the highway and find it to be pretty bullet proof but will note it’s just staying in the lane not making command decisions or being asked to change lanes. Don’t know how to recon that to AP1 of yesteryear vs FSD of today (Q3 2023).
As a owner of AP1 MS & FSD HW3 MX, the AP1 MS is astronomically more reliable, confident and predictable than FSD or even HW3 Autopilot in my hands on experience. ESPECIALLY with less than perfect weather, night time, fog, rain, snow, basically anything that isn't clear skies.

As a owner of AP1 MS & FSD HW3 MX, the AP1 MS is astronomically more reliable, confident and predictable than FSD or even HW3 Autopilot in my hands on experience. ESPECIALLY with less than perfect weather, night time, fog, rain, snow, basically anything that isn't clear skies.
Interesting; I’ve seen this sentiment expressed multiple times.

One thing I recall from AP1 was the preference to use the car in front as a marker to follow (the car avatar in front of you would turn blue) vs using the lanes. I can’t recall any instance of AP4 using the car in front as a guide (or at least the car in front becoming blue) and vaguely recall my S doing it from time to time when AP first rolled out in 2017.

I wonder if this explains a (large?) part of the reported differing performance between the 1st gen and the latest one?

One thing I recall from AP1 was the preference to use the car in front as a marker to follow (the car avatar in front of you would turn blue) vs using the lanes. I can’t recall any instance of AP4 using the car in front as a guide (or at least the car in front becoming blue) and vaguely recall my S doing it from time to time when AP first rolled out in 2017.

I wonder if this explains a (large?) part of the reported differing performance between the 1st gen and the latest one?

No, the blue only happens if there are no lanes to track

Reactions: Scotland41

AP 1 could/can use either lane lines, or vehicle in front of it to track. AP2 & Up could not be ACTIVATED unless there were lines, but if the lines became unclear or non-present, it would continue by using a tracked vehicle ahead if present. However, now, with advancement of FSD/AP for the newer hardware, no lines needed at all for AP2 & Up. What makes AP1 so much more reliable in non-clear skies weather is the use of the RADAR, which Tesla decided to turn off.

I saw an instant difference when Tesla disabled my MX's radar. What was no problem before, is now virtually not possible to operate in.

The Advancement of FSD, is both awesome & amazing, while at the same time, becoming more disappointing with each release. Summer of 2020, my FSD was more reliable than it is now. It's progressively getting worse. If I had paid $15k for it like it is now, I'd have asked for a refund and went back to AP & EAP. Since I got in on the last day for $2k, thats about all it's worth, and with HW3, about all it will be worth, unless they either turn our radar back on or retrofit the new HD Radar (Not likely for either). A big feature they removed by turning off radar was also the ability for Autopilot/FSD to see a car ahead. Tesla used to bounce the radar under the lead vehicle, so it could see two cars ahead. This was great for emergency braking as well as helping to know how congested roads were ahead. I greatly miss that feature. Radar on also did considerably better in poor weather conditions of all kinds. My AP1 can still see the vehicles around me even in a torrential downpour. My FSD either stops working or "FSD Reduced due to poor visibility" when I use the windshield wipers and fluid to clean the window, though that issue improved slightly when I got the camera upgrade, but is still present.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
You know what FSD still does that is incredibly annoying that AP1 did perfectly? It veers to center the car in the lane when an onramp merges onto the freeway instead of just maintaining the line in the lane. That results in FSD driving in roughly the crudely drawn line in my pic below. I see it when I am driving behind other Teslas with FSD too and, honestly, it makes the driver look drunk, plus it is uneasy feeling for the driver/passenger.

1.png