Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

June 23 UK Car Sales

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr Miserable

Supporting Member
Jul 8, 2019
UK
Referral Code
Model Y tops the June New Car Sales Table.

SMMT 602023.png

Had no idea Ford Pumas were so popular.. I don't remember the last time I even saw one, whereas I saw at least 3 Teslas on every drive now.
Saw 3 in quick succession on way to Supermarket, didn't check plates for which year. Ford said they were exiting European small car market as I remember. Maybe some deals on, maybe ex-Fiesta (Focus?) buyers switching to another Ford.

Saw 3 in quick succession on way to Supermarket, didn't check plates for which year. Ford said they were exiting European small car market as I remember. Maybe some deals on, maybe ex-Fiesta (Focus?) buyers switching to another Ford.
Fiesta production ends in a couple of days time but the Puma has been their best seller for the last 2+ years in the UK.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
Where's Model 3 gone?

Also a side note, why do we never get sales numbers for months that aren't end of quarter? Or do those other months not count?
M3 sold just under 2,000 in June - doesn't make it to the top 10 list these days as most people prefer SUVs to saloons.

The numbers are available every month, just not that interesting from a Tesla point of view, especially the first month of a quarter when hardly any are sold because they are all in transit from China.

Where's Model 3 gone?

Also a side note, why do we never get sales numbers for months that aren't end of quarter? Or do those other months not count?
Model 3 numbers tanked (relatively) when the MY came out although still did about 2000 units in June.

There are figures for each month although Tesla forums don’t tend to promote the numbers in the off months because they’re relatively low in comparison

Edit - basically as MrT3, we were typing at tbt same time

Good numbers for Tesla but generally speaking the total BEV sales numbers are really disappointing and they should be much higher than they are.

you only have to look at the numbers and there are still considerable volumes of people buying/leasing expensive ICE cars that could opt to have a BEV but don’t.

It’s getting very close to where we need to start considering properly punitive taxes on the most polluting cars, yes I’m looking directly at you high end SUVs.

Targeting wealthy people in their expensive SUVs would only lead to a tiny increase in EV sales. Wealthy people can afford to absorb penalties.

Given that petrol/diesel prices have come down massively while electricity prices have gone through the roof, and given that EVs are still significantly more expensive than their ICE equivalents, it’s not surprising that few “ordinary” people want to make the switch. Also, people who are unable to charge at home will largely, but not exclusively, be from lower socioeconomic classes who can’t afford an expensive EV. And then there’s the fact that, outside of Tesla, the public charging infrastructure is generally very expensive and woefully inadequate.

Buying an EV and running an EV has to be as cheap and convenient as buying and running an ICE before there will be mass uptake. And that still seems a long way away.

Good numbers for Tesla but generally speaking the total BEV sales numbers are really disappointing and they should be much higher than they are.

you only have to look at the numbers and there are still considerable volumes of people buying/leasing expensive ICE cars that could opt to have a BEV but don’t.

It’s getting very close to where we need to start considering properly punitive taxes on the most polluting cars, yes I’m looking directly at you high end SUVs.
how can you draw distinction between ICE corsa and BEV corsa in these numbers?
Or mini?
you have like 40% uplift in BEV registrations.

for 1st half you got 31k BEVs registered, of which Model Y is 19k. this presumes that there is quite substantial portion new Mini and Corsa registrations as BEV. not ll, but probably 10-20% of all these cars, are EVs

Last edited:
Reactions: UkNorthampton