Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just canceled my MX order - here's why

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Come back to this thread a few weeks after you've taken delivery. The median seems to be "the car is AMAZING! But I have these issues with it... but it's AMAZING!"

I don't want those issues.

That's spot on. You will probably find some issues, but it will be amazing. And those issues are likely not to be fixed in days... probably not weeks. I don't try to tell people that I don't know well how amazing Tesla is only because I know when they get theirs, there will be issues. And I don't want to be the one to blame. I tell them to buy Lexus. Lexus is crazy reliable, and customer service cannot be beat.

So if you really don't want any issue, I think you were right to cancel your order. Wait until Lexus came out with an EV. I will definitely take a look at that when they do.... but they will also have to have a charging network.....

That's spot on. You will probably find some issues, but it will be amazing. And those issues are likely not to be fixed in days... probably not weeks. I don't try to tell people that I don't know well how amazing Tesla is only because I know when they get theirs, there will be issues. And I don't want to be the one to blame. I tell them to buy Lexus. Lexus is crazy reliable, and customer service cannot be beat.

So if you really don't want any issue, I think you were right to cancel your order. Wait until Lexus came out with an EV. I will definitely take a look at that when they do.... but they will also have to have a charging network.....

I really don't know where this idea that all other car makers deliver perfectly manufactured cars without any issues ever, narrative comes from... I hate to break it to you but Lexus isn't perfect either...

Jeff

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
I really don't know where this idea that all other car makers deliver perfectly manufactured cars without any issues ever, narrative comes from... I hate to break it to you but Lexus isn't perfect either...

Jeff

Not delivered perfect cars, but they will fix the issue really really fast like same day. Because if they don't fix them fast, they could just call and find another car with the exact color/spec and ship it to the dealership same or next day. And they will pick up the phone, answer emails, etc... Tesla, not so much. My coworker has been trying to get his minor delivery issues resolved for over a month now.... still nothing. My MX had been missing the tow package (in the Due Bill) since delivery. Every time I called, they said it was out of stock. By now I gave up since I don't really need to tow anything.

So maybe that's the difference. With any other dealership, if you don't like the one you see, they can just call and get you another one exactly the same without the issues. You can't do that with Tesla.

I have posted this a few times before but I will do it one more time.

My P85D S was flawless for 55,000 miles and my P100D X has been even better for the first 10,000 miles.

I love my X more than any 4 wheel vehicle I own. It is so quick, the windshield is awesome, the falcon doors are so kid friendly. I can never be happy with a gas car again.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and jeffro01
I just took a peak on Edmunds.

The problem is Consumer Reports probably includes a lot of those first year 2016 Model X's which certainly appear more problematic than later years. The problem vehicle owners will also make the most noise.

But check out.

2018 Model 3 4.5 Stars
2017 Model 3 4.5 Stars

2018 Model S 4.5 Stars
2017 Model S 4.5 Stars
2016 Model S 4.5 Stars

2018 Model X 4.5 Stars
2017 Model X 4.5 Stars
2016 Model X 3.5 Stars

Whenever I drive a newer X, late 2017+ i notice all the improvements made. Not long periods of driving though since it was when I had my X in service. These are valid concerns though and I'm just very lucky that every time the FWD failed, or the drivers side door wouldn't latch closed or open it was just me. Wife and kids weren't in the vehicles so I guess it made it easier to deal with the issues. For some, the time and trouble to go through with this is not worth it when MB will just show up, drive away with your vehicle and drop it back off all while you're working or sleeping.

I think Tesla is trying, but for now their mission and motivation is not centered around service as heavily. If the tax credits/incentives are helpful but overall a small dent in the financial picture then do what you plan to do and wait. Not like they're going to up and disappear overnight. You could always just get multiple Teslas and gamble with at least one or two working while the other is in the shop. Just saying.

• Helpful
Reactions: john85775
Come back to this thread a few weeks after you've taken delivery. The median seems to be "the car is AMAZING! But I have these issues with it... but it's AMAZING!"

I don't want those issues.

You have summed it up well.

If you don't want 'issues' buy a Lexus, but if you want the best motoring experience on this planet get a X.

Lexus tried to tempt me with an top spec RX about an year ago and gave us one for a 24hr test drive, all I can say is I couldnt wait to hand it back quickly enough.

There is no comparison between Lexus versus Tesla, one is reminder of the past and belongs on the scrap heap, the other is the future expect its here already:).

If you don't want 'issues' buy a Lexus, but if you want the best motoring experience on this planet get a X.

Lexus tried to tempt me with an top spec RX about an year ago and gave us one for a 24hr test drive, all I can say is I couldnt wait to hand it back quickly enough.

There is no comparison between Lexus versus Tesla, one is reminder of the past and belongs on the scrap heap, the other is the future expect its here already:).

LOL. When my wife want to change out her X5, I tried to get her to get a RX because of how reliable my Lexus is. She went to test drive one....there was no way she said she was getting it. I think she said it drove "very boring". A few months later, we went to test drive the MX and ordered one right after.

BTW, our 12 years old son's best friend at school told her that she is the "Coolest Mom" in the whole school because she has a MX. There was another mom drove the Mercedes G-Wagon, she used to be the "Coolest Mom".

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA and Saghost
John 123 seems to have made up his mind already. It's probably a waste of time to try and change his mind. Certainly he's entitled to his opinion, especially if he is writing a check for $120,000. He has to feel good about his purchase decision .
As I wrote elsewhere, tesla purchase experience is not very good. They don't return emails even before buying the car.
I will wait and see how service experience will be,, before I buy another tesla

I have been dealing with my local service center for 5 years on both the S and X and made friends with the assistant service manager. My service experience has been good and he seems very attentive to all my issues, of course maybe the few bottles of wine helped.

If you don't want 'issues' buy a Lexus...

...and get a car that is in the bottom third of CR customer satisfaction rating (and that from quite possibly the least demanding customer base or any manufacturer) ... fine if that's your thing

btw - why do people feel the need to come on here and tell everyone "I cancelled my order"?
Is everybody supposed to say "Oh no - perhaps I should cancel my order too given the detailed research the OP has done"

Basically either it is trolling, or all that is being said is "I was dumb enough to drop $2500 on a car that isnt for me" ... again fine if you want to shout about it.
Personally I do a bit more research before splashing that sort of money around.

"Reliability is only one aspect of car ownership."

Do you even hear yourself talking?

Reliability comes first because it translates to time. How much time have you guys spent, in total including travel/hassle/waiting/calling/etc, dealing with quality issues?

To some Tesla fans, it's all OK as long as Tesla fixes the issues. Some are willing to bring the car back multiple times, each subsequent visit with new problems. At whatever price you're paying, $120,000 or $20,000, the issues are unacceptable. Sure, an "early adopter, believing in the mission", or a "tech geek loving to tinker with electronics", are different from a mother driving kids around and suddenly the car won't start, needing to do a reboot, or having to wait on the phone for the tech to walk her through multiple steps to diagnose,....These issues are far from uncommon on this forum. The problem is much worse if it's your only vehicle in the household.

...and get a car that is in the bottom third of CR customer satisfaction rating (and that from quite possibly the least demanding customer base or any manufacturer) ... fine if that's your thing

btw - why do people feel the need to come on here and tell everyone "I cancelled my order"?
Is everybody supposed to say "Oh no - perhaps I should cancel my order too given the detailed research the OP has done"

Basically either it is trolling, or all that is being said is "I was dumb enough to drop $2500 on a car that isnt for me" ... again fine if you want to shout about it.
Personally I do a bit more research before splashing that sort of money around.

The CR report is recent - since I've placed my order, in fact.

I have been dealing with my local service center for 5 years on both the S and X and made friends with the assistant service manager. My service experience has been good and he seems very attentive to all my issues, of course maybe the few bottles of wine helped.

I don't know, but for me, the best service department and/or service manager is one that I don't have to see too often, let alone becoming friends with.

To some Tesla fans, it's all OK as long as Tesla fixes the issues. Some are willing to bring the car back multiple times, each subsequent visit with new problems. At whatever price you're paying, $120,000 or $20,000, the issues are unacceptable. Sure, an "early adopter, believing in the mission", or a "tech geek loving to tinker with electronics", are different from a mother driving kids around and suddenly the car won't start, needing to do a reboot, or having to wait on the phone for the tech to walk her through multiple steps to diagnose,....These issues are far from uncommon on this forum. The problem is much worse if it's your only vehicle in the household.

++++++++++++

The use case for this car is 75% a mother driving kids around.

"Problems? What problems?"

The sticky thread of "Model X Reset Techniques" has SEVEN PAGES of content.

6Xad388.png

Sounds like CR is more accurate than some of the deniers give credit.

The thing is a damn appliance, it needs to work and not inconvenience.

Ah! Here is your problem. You are looking for an appliance that will take you from A to B reliably. Buy a Honda Accord and you will not regret. But Tesla gives you a driving experience especially with AP, that will blow you out of your minds. Atleast it did for me. With such a very relaxed driving with AP, I really don't mind if I have to visit the service center a few more times than my Lexus.

At the end of the day if visiting the service center a few times at the beginning of your purchase is a deal breaker, over the many other advantages of an EV, then Model X is not your car. For some people not having an AM radio is deal breaker. So it is your choice.

But in your case I sort of agree with you. My wife rarely wants to drive my (earlier) Leaf or S or 3. She always will only have the LX RX 350 has her first choice.

Reactions: gangzoom and P85_DA
++++++++++++

The use case for this car is 75% a mother driving kids around.

"Problems? What problems?"

The sticky thread of "Model X Reset Techniques" has SEVEN PAGES of content.

6Xad388.png

Sounds like CR is more accurate than some of the deniers give credit.

Then WHY ARE YOU HERE??? Good lord... My wife drives our kids around EVERY day in our Model X and guess how many issues she's had? ZERO...

Jeff

EDIT: It's becoming increasingly clear, at least to me, that this poster is here to troll and never ordered one to begin with... I can't help but take the bait though....

• Love