Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just got a new software update notification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes it appears anytime the cable is drawing current it locks in place. So with climate on and the option to unlock the port back, I can unlock it and remove the cable. Without climate on, the error message appears and I cannot get the cable out. So the lock won’t disengage.

The car is sitting idle now, not charging and the error message is there telling me the cable is not inserted correctly. Does anyone else have this message when the cable is not supplying current?

A couple of people on Reddit get that message. I dont though either no message or charging stopped for me.

So anytime the cable is in and unlocked I get the message that it’s not inserted correctly. As soon as current is running to the car it locks and that error goes away. If you stop charging the car thinks I guess that it’s unlocking the port, but it isn’t. I have to then activate climate and then go to the charge screen and hit unlock port. It won’t on its own.

Seems mine just unlocks when charging finishes or is stopped. Can just pull out the cable.
If this is the case, this update just opened up a world of issues. Especially if you charge in public lots.
This now potentially allows people to pull out your charge cable once the charge is done, or before a scheduled charge. Not to mention Tesla has technically removed a theft deterrent by not having the port lock when the car is locked. Bad Tesla.

If this is the case, this update just opened up a world of issues. Especially if you charge in public lots.
This now potentially allows people to pull out your charge cable once the charge is done, or before a scheduled charge. Not to mention Tesla has technically removed a theft deterrent by not having the port lock when the car is locked. Bad Tesla.

Other EVs either don't lock at all (bolt and volt I think) or unlock when fully charged (Nissan leaf). BMW and Tesla (before this update) seem to stay locked after charging done.

• Disagree
Reactions: McFlurri

Other EVs either don't lock at all (bolt and volt I think) or unlock when fully charged (Nissan leaf). BMW and Tesla (before this update) seem to stay locked after charging done.

I agree with the thought that not locking the port is a bad thing. Especially if using a j1772 connector since that basically means someone could come by and steal the tesla to j1772 adaptor. True the Volt and Bolt dont lock the connector, and to be honest I think having the connector lock causes other issues like if you are done charging and someone comes by and needs access to the station you are effectively ICE'ing the station. Its only because of the tesla adaptor and potential for theft that I think locking the connector is a good idea.

Ok after rebooting again, deleting and reinstalling the app and a ton of swearing, it’s operating like others now. Still get the error message but the cable pulls out. It only locks when current is being drawn. When it isnt, the port unlocks and the error message reappears. This time though I can actually get the cable out.

So random unplugging is a possibility now. I like the idea of being away for a week and leaving my car plugged in in my driveway.

Ok after rebooting again, deleting and reinstalling the app and a ton of swearing, it’s operating like others now. Still get the error message but the cable pulls out. It only locks when current is being drawn. When it isnt, the port unlocks and the error message reappears. This time though I can actually get the cable out.

So random unplugging is a possibility now. I like the idea of being away for a week and leaving my car plugged in in my driveway.
Good to hear. Now we can scratch our heads in unison. :p

Yeah Tesla needs to send out a patch quick. I like the simple idea of adding an option in the car and app to give you the choice of locking the charge port prior and after a charge.

As of now, if you ever Intend on leaving your car plugged in outside for an extended period of time, (out of town), you now run the risk of someone unplugging your car and your battery draining. They didn’t think about this when creating this update?

Reactions: Darthbenji
Thanks for the recap.

Looks like bug reports are in order for everyone. This seems like it will lead to potential losses of the Tesla to J1772 adapters.

Yep. I actually called this one in to Tesla Support on the off chance I could revert back to 44.1. From now on, I think I will treat these updates like any other and wait for bug reports like this to roll in before deciding to update.

I'm hoping they issue a quick fix here, because how it works right now doesn't make a lot of sense unless your car is locked away somewhere or constantly charging .

Got into my car for a second time this morning and heard a thunk. Got out of the car to see if something hit it while i was in the parking lot, didn't see anything. Went back in and heard it again. This time I saw that it was the window going up that extra bit after a few seconds of being in the car.

Caught me off guard.

• Informative
Reactions: dusdev
In Vancouver this morning it's raining and 7 degrees. My car was still charging (non-scheduled charged, but initiated through TeslaFI) when I unplug my cable. Same behavior has before, needed to hit the button on the connector and it would unlock the connector from the car. So far I believe all of these new winter mitigation features are temperature dependent.

In Vancouver this morning it's raining and 7 degrees. My car was still charging (non-scheduled charged, but initiated through TeslaFI) when I unplug my cable. Same behavior has before, needed to hit the button on the connector and it would unlock the connector from the car. So far I believe all of these new winter mitigation features are temperature dependent.

If your car was still charging... It doesn't unlock until charging is stopped or completed.