Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just killed all my excitement for Model 3... sigh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the time I was in line it was mid 2018. The expectation of mid to late 2017 came later based on guidance from Elon and Tesla.

But when I stood in line I fully expected 2018 - in fact I bought another car for the mean time based on that.
So that puts us at least two years ahead of schedule, Elon time. I paid $70,000 for my base Model S figuring the M3 would be at least a year later than promised. Now that it’s ahead of schedule I’m feeling like I got screwed. You guys don’t really have anything to complain about.

• Funny
Reactions: davedavedave
First day non owner reservation. Delivery was supposed to be Jan-Mar 2018. Then “Mid 2018.” Now it’s “Early 2019.” I used to be anxiously thinking “oh it’s only X months...” but now my excitement for the car just got killed. I’ve got another YEAR to wait now.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not canceling. Just suuuuuper bummed. :(

I'm on the fence. I don't "need" it immediately. But I am only willing to wait so long. And there are some alternatives coming onto the market I could be tempted by. I could see myself in a Niro or Kona EV. We'll see.

They just can't sell vehicles at a loss. Until production ramps up their per unit cost is going to be quite high and it makes all the sense in the world to sell the higher profit margin models first.

You'd make the same decision if it was your own company.

The year will go by before you know it or you can try to stretch and get the long range version, which will be available in a few months.

And which variant Model 3 are YOU getting?

So that puts us at least two years ahead of schedule, Elon time. I paid $70,000 for my base Model S figuring the M3 would be at least a year later than promised. Now that it’s ahead of schedule I’m feeling like I got screwed. You guys don’t really have anything to complain about.
You have got to be kidding.

Name another company that has been constantly late.......their entire existence.

Your solace is that no one should complain because they are not yet as late as they have been in the past? Really?

So you have accepted that being on time just not something to expect?

My wife and I have been getting by with 1 car for the last 7 years and has gotten old. When she wants to go somewhere I am stuck at the house, when I go somewhere she is stuck at home. We were both hoping to get the car around the time of the first two expected dates. I do not accept the notion that "they were originally supposed to deliver the car in 2020 so they are technically ahead of schedule"...the fact of the matter is, they started making the cars now and changed the delivery dates to late 2017 and 2018 so that is the date that people will be looking at.

Like others have said, I am very disappointed (maybe a little upset) but will not cancel my reservation just yet. The moment the tax credit is cut in half, I will then cancel and get something else whether it is an EV or otherwise. Again, having two cars is getting to be a must.

The moment the tax credit is cut in half, I will then cancel and get something else whether it is an EV or otherwise. Again, having two cars is getting to be a must.

You may as well cancel now. I think Tesla is set to sell it's 200,000th vehicle in the united states around October 1st 2018. They can then sell as many cars as possible with the full $7,500 tax credit in October, November, and December 2018. as well as Jan, Feb, and March 2019.

are you reasonably confidant that you can take delivery by March 31st 2019? Given the low volumes they are producing, I don't know if I would bank on the full tax credit.

I would take a look at an Inventory Model S. you can get it now, get the tax credit, and the price differential -- while not insignificant -- is probably less than than it appears to the casual observer. and it feels like you are driving a space ship from the future.

someone please correct me if I'm wrong on the tax credit phase out info.. I hate to be spreading misinformation.

You may as well cancel now. I think Tesla is set to sell it's 200,000th vehicle in the united states around October 1st 2018. They can then sell as many cars as possible with the full $7,500 tax credit in October, November, and December 2018. as well as Jan, Feb, and March 2019.

are you reasonably confidant that you can take delivery by March 31st 2019? Given the low volumes they are producing, I don't know if I would bank on the full tax credit.

I would take a look at an Inventory Model S. you can get it now, get the tax credit, and the price differential -- while not insignificant -- is probably less than than it appears to the casual observer. and it feels like you are driving a space ship from the future.

someone please correct me if I'm wrong on the tax credit phase out info.. I hate to be spreading misinformation.

Well if your estimate is correct then I have a decent chance of getting the credit for first production. My current estimate currently says June to August.

You're right about the phase out, but totally wrong on the likely date of the 200,000. They are projected to hit 200K sometime in May.

Tesla would have to take the spring & summer off to deliver their 200K car in October.

The tax credit will drop to 3750 in October.
They'd only need to divert enough sales outside the US, and have a bigger than they currently run slug in delivery logistics, out until July 1st to extend the full tax credit until Dec 31st. Then they'd do their normal "everything out the door" in December push, to get it on the books for the end-of-year.

It's still very much a stretch to try do, I'm not convinced yet that they'll try. We don't really even know for sure exactly how much of a stretch as I don't believe Teslsa has ever made their precise US delivery numbers public?

Reactions: PeterK
i'm also shocked that they would reach the 200,000 vehicle milestone on May 1 rather than April 1. why lose a whole month of the full Tax credit? It sounds reckless and I suspect they will do their upmost to avoid this.

i'm also shocked that they would reach the 200,000 vehicle milestone on May 1 rather than April 1. why lose a whole month of the full Tax credit? It sounds reckless and I suspect they will do their upmost to avoid this.
That's not how that works. Reaching the 200K on any day between Apr 1 and Jun 30 would end the full tax credit on Sep 30. Any day from July 1 until Sep 30 would end it on Dec 31.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
So here are the comments from Tesla concerning their batter for the Model 3. .

“[We] expect the new automated lines to arrive next month in March. And then it’s already working in Germany so that’s going to be disassembled, brought out to the Gigafactory and reassembled and then go into operation at the Gigafactory. It’s not a question whether it works or not. It’s just a question of disassembly, transport and reassembly. So we expect to alleviate that constraint. With alleviating that constraint, that’s what gets us to the roughly 2,000 to 2,500 unit per week production rate.”

The “2,000 to 2,500” units per week cited in this comment refers solely to the capacity of the additional automated battery module manufacturing equipment that is currently located in Germany, and not to Tesla’s total Model 3 production run rate or to the capacity of the automated battery module equipment that is already present at Gigafactory 1. Tesla’s ability to meet its target of 2,500 per week by end of Q1 2018 is not dependent on the additional equipment that is currently located in Germany, as that equipment is expected to start ramping production during Q2 2018. With respect to battery module production, Tesla’s ability to meet its target of 2,500 per week by end of Q1 2018 is dependent only on the equipment that is already present at Gigafactory 1, as well as the incremental capacity that is currently being added through the semi-automated lines that were also discussed during the conference call.”

I remember 2 months ago people in this forum were crucifying me for saying that battery manufacturing line WASN'T fully automated. There was no way it could have been with all of the stories from employees. Now we learn that IT STILL ISNT'T.