Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just ordered a 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi paulp....

Apparently for some (on this thread: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/25790-3m-Crystalline-Window-Tint) they report that the back windows on the Model S appears purple. In this thread a explanation is given due to the way the Tesla windows are factory tinted that due to the make up of the 3M Crystalline film it enhances this purple hue effect.

I am aware of the old Dye Films that when they age look purple tinged, I wouldn't want to pay the extra $'s for the 3M Crystaliine film to have it look like a old 5+ years Dye film...outside of the purple appearance not looking nice at all.

I was interested to hear from PFJ000 in relation to this point.

-ECIT

Purple film only occurs on very old type film, or very low quality film. A decent film on the model s definately has no hint of purple.
Had a decent film on my last car too, and after 7 years it too had no hint of purple.

Hi Homer congrats on this, great car and colour combo, I'm sure you'll love it!

Don't worry about the dual chargers for now - even on single chargers you can get up to 50km range per hour from a 3 phase plug, and there are different ways to achieve that when you are out and about. People here can help you when the time comes or feel free to Direct Message me.

This forum helps with the wait, trust me!

Thanks Colina! I have two white cars at the moment (though one will be sold once the MS arrives) so I like white cars...but I felt that I should have a change and was heading towards the new blue which I thought looked dynamic and modern in the official marketing shots. I was planning to pair that with the grey interior and the black headliner.

I visited Tesla yesterday where they had a blue inside and, as luck would have it, a customer was supercharging a blue outside so I got to see it under several conditions. And it just didn't rock my boat; very disappointing. Just to be clear though, I'm not criticising the blue colour. This is a very personal decision and no doubt it's an excellent colour for some and there is no such thing as the "wrong" colour. But it just didn't work for me.

So...I've ordered pearl white, the grey turbine wheels, red callipers, pano roof and the spoiler on the outside with black on the inside. The black interior was my wife's specification as we have two young children and she's worried about how the lighter colours will look over time with the kids climbing on the seats. I am nothing if not predictable... :wink:

red callipers? That sounds like a P90D, not a 90D. Congrats!

Hi Homer congrats on this, great car and colour combo, I'm sure you'll love it!

Don't worry about the dual chargers for now - even on single chargers you can get up to 50km range per hour from a 3 phase plug, and there are different ways to achieve that when you are out and about. People here can help you when the time comes or feel free to Direct Message me.

This forum helps with the wait, trust me!

Thank you timpoo. I know what you mean about the forum helping with the wait...I've been on here day and night since placing my order!

- - - Updated - - -

red callipers? That sounds like a P90D, not a 90D. Congrats!

Oops. Yes you're right. It's a P90D. I thought the "P" was superfluous. This just shows what a rookie I really am! :)

Thank you timpoo. I know what you mean about the forum helping with the wait...I've been on here day and night since placing my order!

- - - Updated - - -

Oops. Yes you're right. It's a P90D. I thought the "P" was superfluous. This just shows what a rookie I really am! :)
hahaha, things you learn lurking on the forums. It's considered its own trim level. P is unique to performance version. The number indicates battery size in kwh, and the D indicates it has dual motors (AWD) instead of just one motor (RWD). Basically three levels 70/D, 85/90D, and P85/P90D.

hahaha, things you learn lurking on the forums. It's considered its own trim level. P is unique to performance version. The number indicates battery size in kwh, and the D indicates it has dual motors (AWD) instead of just one motor (RWD). Basically three levels 70/D, 85/90D, and P85/P90D.

Thanks. I kind of had most of that worked out but somehow completely missed the significance of the "P" :). Perhaps a moderator might change the thread title in the interests of accuracy.

Sometimes people may post BS because of hidden agendas - window tint competitors for instance. That's why it is important to dyor.
Agree. My profession requires me to have very good sensitivity to colour, so I can definately spot purple. Very used to dealing with that very problem withinin older laminated glass with the plastic interlayer turning purple after a number of years.
No purple glass on my car, but agree, dyor.

Thanks Colina! I have two white cars at the moment (though one will be sold once the MS arrives) so I like white cars...but I felt that I should have a change and was heading towards the new blue which I thought looked dynamic and modern in the official marketing shots. I was planning to pair that with the grey interior and the black headliner.

I visited Tesla yesterday where they had a blue inside and, as luck would have it, a customer was supercharging a blue outside so I got to see it under several conditions. And it just didn't rock my boat; very disappointing. Just to be clear though, I'm not criticising the blue colour. This is a very personal decision and no doubt it's an excellent colour for some and there is no such thing as the "wrong" colour. But it just didn't work for me.

So...I've ordered pearl white, the grey turbine wheels, red callipers, pano roof and the spoiler on the outside with black on the inside. The black interior was my wife's specification as we have two young children and she's worried about how the lighter colours will look over time with the kids climbing on the seats. I am nothing if not predictable... :wink:

That would have been my Blue car supercharging on Saturday. I love the colour, and having seen all the other colours in Bowral I still think is the best available to order at the moment (sig red is slightly better I think), but it's certainly not the same as in the rendering on the web site.

That would have been my Blue car supercharging on Saturday. I love the colour, and having seen all the other colours in Bowral I still think is the best available to order at the moment (sig red is slightly better I think), but it's certainly not the same as in the rendering on the web site.

It is a nice car Daemon and I just wanted to reiterate that colour is obviously a personal choice and it's just that it wasn't for me. Also re-reading my comments now, it might appear as though I was saying that the colour was "very disappointing" but what I meant is that the fact that it didn't "rock my boat" was very disappointing for me as I really wanted it to. :)

I notice your location is listed as Canberra. Are you able to make it from Sydney to Canberra on a charge?

Colour is definitely a personal choice, I originally ordered grey, then changed to blue as soon as it was announced because none of the previous colours were to my liking.
I do sydney to Canberra regularly, as do several others. CBR-SYD is probably about 70-75% of my battery and SYD-CBR 80-85%. But it depends on road conditions, etc.

Colour is definitely a personal choice, I originally ordered grey, then changed to blue as soon as it was announced because none of the previous colours were to my liking.
I do sydney to Canberra regularly, as do several others. CBR-SYD is probably about 70-75% of my battery and SYD-CBR 80-85%. But it depends on road conditions, etc.
All of the colours are equally fantastic, however my choice is definately more equal.