Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just panic ordered a MYAWD. Change it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you all again for yo her replies.

You got me thinking a bit on this… started reading a lot more about real world mileage and coming to see that no matter what mileage is dependent on so many factors. I’ve seen people saying on cold weather with highway they’re getting 150 miles even on MYLR.

I did check the longest one way I have is 80 miles but that assumes I won’t need to go anywhere else.

So…. Let me ask it this way.

Would it be safe to say that no matter what, on a 160 mile round trip or so, even if I got the MYLR to give me the 50 or so extra range, it would be very likely that I would have to make a stop to stay in the “safe charge” zone so regardless I would have to make one stop anyways? Need some real Tesla owners opinion here. If the answer to that is yes then I’ll keep the reservation. If not, I’ll give this some more thought.

You all are great thank you.
160 you're okay with LR. charge to 90% or 95%, get home at 5-20% depending on weather and how much stop and go versus highway.

You got me thinking a bit on this… started reading a lot more about real world mileage and coming to see that no matter what mileage is dependent on so many factors. I’ve seen people saying on cold weather with highway they’re getting 150 miles even on MYLR.

I did check the longest one way I have is 80 miles but that assumes I won’t need to go anywhere else.

Would it be safe to say that no matter what, on a 160 mile round trip or so, even if I got the MYLR to give me the 50 or so extra range, it would be very likely that I would have to make a stop to stay in the “safe charge” zone so regardless I would have to make one stop anyways? Need some real Tesla owners opinion here. If the answer to that is yes then I’ll keep the reservation. If not, I’ll give this some more thought.

Hum, another post got me thinking about this…

I’m assuming you’re commuting for work, yeah? Is it possible for the company to provide a car instead? If the company provides an EV, I’m sure they can get tax deductions for it. Then when the battery degrades to the point of being “unusable,” they can get that as a tax write off. I don’t know the full details, so maybe it’s not worth it for them… but hey, who knows.

THEN, you can purchase anything, including the SRAWD for yourself without range anxiety or battery degradation.

There is no such thing as the Tesla Model Y safe charge zone. The Tesla Model Y is meant to be driven a lot or a little and charged as needed to complete the trip with a reasonable margin of remaining battery charge. Some Model Y owner's will make a familiar trip and know they can arrive at their destination or back home with less than 5% state of charge (SOC) spring, summer and fall while adjusting this margin upwards for winter temperatures.

Before you take your first trip sit down with A Better Route Planner (ABRP) and plan a few trips. ABRP will show you the available charging locations, length of stop, kWh to be added (and estimated cost) and how far to the next stop or your destination. You can adjust ABRP for starting battery SOC, arriving at Supercharger SOC and SOC at the destination. After planning a few trips using ABRP you will know with a high level of confidence whether you will be able to complete the trip with only one charging stop or without stopping to charge, arriving at your destination with a lower remaining battery charge. You can plan on a 90% (departure SOC) /10% (arrival SOC) or 80% (departure SOC) / (down to 20% to 30% SOC) for departure SOC and Supercharger / destination arrival SOC; it is totally your choice.

You can better predict the energy consumption and resulting range for a trip if you know the electric vehicle's usable battery capacity, average highway speed, road conditions, elevation changes, wind, temperature as well as passenger and cargo load. A trip of 160 miles without charging the Tesla Long Range Model Y might leave you with another 100 miles of range or only 25 miles depending on these variables.

If you use the Tesla Navigation system or plan your charging stops using ABRP and stop to charge where and when these tools indicate you should charge you will not have any issues or concerns with running out of charge or running down the battery SOC lower than your comfort level.

There is also a built in battery reserve; the Tesla Model Y has been shown to travel an additional 10 to 12 miles after the battery/range indicator displays 0 miles of range. Of course you would only want to use this reserve in an emergency. For all other scenarios where you are concerned that you don't have sufficient charge you can lower your highway speed. A 5 MPH highway speed reduction will net you almost 10% better efficiency and range. 10 MPH lower speed will double that figure.

Last edited:
I have the long range with 19s ("330" miles range) and I can safely count on 160-175 in winter and 200 in summer going from 100% to 5% SOC.

Better to go between 20% and 80-90% for battery health.

I'd be very nervous about 269 if you have a 100 mile one way commute. You won't make it home even at 100% without charging.
Wow .. thank you for the honest response. I know typically expecting 20% less would be normal but 175 and 200 are 47% and 40% off the range of 330.

I get that most don't drive more than 200 miles as their daily commute but this would be inconvenient on longer trips.

Reactions: woolymammoth17

I've been driving 3 different Tesla cars since 2012. I quickly learn how much charge I should charge before starting a trip.

If the trip is 160 miles, I wouldn't leave until I got 100 miles extra on top of that. That means the battery gauge got to say 260 miles before I would go for an actual distance of 160.

My scenario is no snow in Central California. Your experience to learn is different because it snows in NJ.

There is no such thing as the Tesla Model Y safe charge zone. The Tesla Model Y is meant to be driven a lot or a little and charged as needed to complete the trip with a reasonable margin of remaining battery charge. Some Model Y owner's will make a familiar trip and know they can arrive at their destination or back home with less than 5% state of charge (SOC) spring, summer and fall while adjusting this margin upwards for winter temperatures.

Before you take your first trip sit down with A Better Route Planner (ABRP) and plan a few trips. ABRP will show you the available charging locations, length of stop, kWh to be added (and estimated cost) and how far to the next stop or your destination. You can adjust ABRP for starting battery SOC, arriving at Supercharger SOC and SOC at the destination. After planning a few trips using ABRP you will know with a high level of confidence whether you will be able to complete the trip with only one charging stop or without stopping to charge, arriving at your destination with a lower remaining battery charge. You can plan on a 90% (departure SOC) /10% (arrival SOC) or 80% (departure SOC) / (down to 20% to 30% SOC) for departure SOC and Supercharger / destination arrival SOC; it is totally your choice.

You can better predict the energy consumption and resulting range for a trip if you know the electric vehicle's usable battery capacity, average highway speed, road conditions, elevation changes, wind, temperature as well as passenger and cargo load. A trip of 160 miles without charging the Tesla Long Range Model Y might leave you with another 100 miles of range or only 25 miles depending on these variables.

If you use the Tesla Navigation system or plan your charging stops using ABRP and stop to charge where and when these tools indicate you should charge you will not have any issues or concerns with running out of charge or running down the battery SOC lower than your comfort level.

There is also a built in battery reserve; the Tesla Model Y has been shown to travel an additional 10 to 12 miles after the battery/range indicator displays 0 miles of range. Of course you would only want to use this reserve in an emergency. For all other scenarios where you are concerned that you don't have sufficient charge you can lower your highway speed. A 5 MPH highway speed reduction will net you almost 10% better efficiency and range. 10 MPH lower speed will double that figure.
APRP is excellent advice. Especially right now it will be worst case scenario since we are in the middle of winter.

I got a real world example of cold weather here in NJ yesterday morning in 7 degree temperatures. I watched the SOC drop from a 90% charge into the mid sixties after only a twenty five mile trip. Of course I had the heater on with the inside temp set to 70 degrees. After my granddaugher's soccer practice I recharged back to 90% at her house with the outside charger.
There are many charge stations in NJ and you should make a list of them along your commuting route. Waze will tell you the distance from your location. Entering those locations in your Tesla will give you the SOC based on current weather conditions

Consider the environment you will be driving in. I have been in constant freezing temperatures for a while. My MYLR is parked in a garage at night. I drive about 27 miles each way to work and park outside for about 10 hours. The highs may reach 32 but generally the temperature doesn't get above freezing. I typically use about 20% charge a day from the time I leave my garage, to the time I return to my garage. If driving on roadways covered in snow I use about 25% charge. So a generic estimate that is not scientific would be about 275 miles of range in freezing temps, and 220 miles of range with snow added. This is while using seat heaters and HVAC heat.
If I quadrupled my commute to somewhat match your 200 mile round trip commute, I would estimate I would come close to using about 90% while in freezing temps and snow-covered roadways while parking the car outside for 10 hours, and using all the heat I wanted.

Also, if you know someone with a Tesla, ask them to put your commute into the car's navigation system. It's pretty accurate and give you a ballpark idea. At the very bottom of the directions, it will tell you what your charge will be if you arrived at your destination and then returned to your starting point. This doesn't driving around once you get to your location. My experience is parking in cold temps doesn't really consume much power. I may lose 1-2% with my MYLR sitting outside in 15-20 degrees for 10 hours.

Do you drive 60-65, or do you drive 85? If 60-65, you'll get close to rated range, less in cold weather. If you drive 85, range will be way down.

Spoken Reviews has some great videos about a Texas model y AWD. Says he gets 225-230 range going 75-80 mph in Texas weather. If that is the case, and I don’t normally drive over 70, I am feeling good about the efficiency of the MYAWD. I think I’m going to give it a shot.

One good point he made, the 50 mile range increase with the LR is really only 30 miles or so. Regardless, I’ll probably stop for a charge anyhow on long trips. It’s not so much the money for the LR that made me order the MYAWD (even thought saving a few thousand is nice), it’s just that the LR is simply unavailable right now before March.

I welcome any other feedback. Thank you all!

In our Y LR, we drive 80 miles each way to our cabin 3 seasons. 85% to 50% one way. If we want to drive into town when we're out there, we charge up a bit, if not just drive home, no worries.

Our EPA range is 318, down from the original 328 after 16 months 23k miles.

Mostly flat drive (600ft elevation change), half 70 mph, half about 45.

If I had to stop and charge 5-10 minutes, that would be fine with me.

Hi everyone,
I heard about the price cap increase for Model Y and immediately ordered an existing inventory MYAWD which has a delivery date of Feb 18th at the earliest. The config on the car is perfect… Black Black 20” Tow. But… the one part that isn’t perfect is the range for me. I will be using this primarily for business travel, often times commuting 100 miles one way. 269 miles just doesn’t feel good for me with real world factors plus only 90 percent charge. However, The Tesla rep told me that these batteries safely charge to 100%. Is this true? Has anyone read this anywhere because I haven’t found it…

Also, anyone have an opinion on whether I should change my order to a LR custom order? It does not appear any existing inventory will be LR at this point… so take the risk on delivery date and change?

Thanks everyone
Did you get a VIN or delivery yet?

Joe, get the long range model. This much concern before buying says a lot. Keep in mind the batteries will degrade over time leaving fewer miles. While you can stop nightly to charge for a few minutes, I wouldn’t start off planning that. Available miles is exquisitely sensitive to speed, so you can slow down, drive say 60, and get a lot more miles. The next concern is temperature. You’ll get fewer miles when it’s cold.

Get other opinions. if you get the shorter range car then later wish you’d got the longer range, it’ll be an expensive swap.

Joe, get the long range model. This much concern before buying says a lot. Keep in mind the batteries will degrade over time leaving fewer miles. While you can stop nightly to charge for a few minutes, I wouldn’t start off planning that. Available miles is exquisitely sensitive to speed, so you can slow down, drive say 60, and get a lot more miles. The next concern is temperature. You’ll get fewer miles when it’s cold.

Get other opinions. if you get the shorter range car then later wish you’d got the longer range, it’ll be an expensive swap.
Thank you. I gave this a lot of thought and at this point decided I’m going to reconsider the standard range. Now I have this 250 order fee with a VIN and delivery date of 2/18-3/18. What can be done to get this 250 back in anyone’s experience? Is it something I can transfer to someone else and sell the fee?

Thank you. I gave this a lot of thought and at this point decided I’m going to reconsider the standard range. Now I have this 250 order fee with a VIN and delivery date of 2/18-3/18. What can be done to get this 250 back in anyone’s experience? Is it something I can transfer to someone else and sell the fee?
Just change the car to a long range order if you are still buying a Tesla

Reactions: OxBrew