Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just received my new car without ultrasonic sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would think you could open the camera app so the screen isn't greyed out, I do that on my USS Y when I want to see what's around.
Ah. Yah, the rear and side cameras are on but I was talking about the picture of the car and it's surrounding. Usually you see distance from the front and etc. At least that's what the 2019 M3 had when I drove it as a loaner. This one is all grayed out so it was just a picture of my car if that makes sense.

We can sit here and complain about Tesla vehicles not having sensors or small minor crap, but in reality they are the best EV's out here which includes their charging network. I have driven others and yes they are visually appealing and have bling on the interior, they just don't compare technology wise to Tesla. Tesla cars are constantly updating and getting better (some may think otherwise). If you want it buy and enjoy it.. Life is short

@Bob2C It is not a "small minor crap" To me it is a big deal. I purchased a car because it had the features such as : smart summon, self parking. I demoed them and that's why I bought it.
It is like if you a buy a fridge and sales people will tell you - hey, freezer does not work, wait till we get an update. .

Reactions: Mike7564
Moderator note: The title of this thread has been edited from the original.

I just found out that my car was not equipped with the USS features, but has not transitioned over to the new tesla vision. So currently has not safety features like parking assist or sensors, not blindspot alerts, no summons or really minimum self driving features. This is a 2023 with no safety. What do I do??
Agree with you .
I am in the same shoes as you are

@Bob2C It is not a "small minor crap" To me it is a big deal. I purchased a car because it had the features such as : smart summon, self parking. I demoed them and that's why I bought it.
It is like if you a buy a fridge and sales people will tell you - hey, freezer does not work, wait till we get an update. .
You should have declined the purchase. No one forced you to buy it

Sorry the fridge analogy is a bit of a stretch. They didn’t keep the tires so you can’t use it for its purpose. You can still park it and being honest Smart summon (as anyone will tell you) is a parlor trick at best.

You should have declined the purchase. No one forced you to buy it
Unfortunately many people will not realize these advertised features are removed off the car they’re given (many posting their surprise in this forum, likely many others out there). Especially given how limited the inspection opportunity is at the delivery center. Begs the question what other (more subtle) hardware items could have been removed/changed without your knowledge. Is the customer supposed to bring a mechanic on delivery to do a full inspection/QA on the car?

If they want to be fair, you should be given a clear list of items which have been added/removed on the car they’re handing you vs what you ordered. Seems this is a pipe dream considering the SAs are focused on “delivery” only.

Would be curious what would happen if someone opened a service ticket because USS were missing from their car. Or parking assist was purchased/advertised but it is non-functional. See what Tesla officially says.

If you order a new bike and the company sends you a refurbished one without telling you, is the burden on the customer to identify it and refuse/return it? Company totally off the hook? Funny bizarro universe some seem to accept here.

Begs the question, what is the $250 “order fee” exactly for? Logistics of arranging the vehicle? Also you’re looking at a much worse loan environment when you start over compared to when you placed the order.

Last edited:
Unfortunately many people will not realize these advertised features are removed off the car they’re given (many posting their surprise in this forum, likely many others out there). Especially given how limited the inspection opportunity is at the delivery center. Begs the question what other (more subtle) hardware items could have been removed/changed without your knowledge. Is the customer supposed to bring a mechanic on delivery to do a full inspection/QA on the car?

If they want to be fair, you should be given a clear list of items which have been added/removed on the car they’re handing you vs what you ordered. Seems this is a pipe dream considering the SAs are focused on “delivery” only.

Would be curious what would happen if someone opened a service ticket because USS were missing from their car. Or parking assist was purchased/advertised but it is non-functional. See what Tesla officially says.

If you order a new bike and the company sends you a refurbished one without telling you, is the burden on the customer to identify it and refuse/return it? Company totally off the hook? Funny bizarro universe some seem to accept here.

Begs the question, what is the $250 “order fee” exactly for? Logistics of arranging the vehicle? Also you’re looking at a much worse loan environment when you start over compared to when you placed the order.
By the way, I created a ticket with the tesla service team. I got answer that I need to wait till the software update. No one knows when.

All excellent questions that may need to be tested in court.
Here’s a section from the order agreement. Note the bold section. So my understanding is that they can omit features.

Agreement to Purchase. You agree to purchase the vehicle (the “Vehicle”) described in your Vehicle Configuration from Tesla, Inc. or its affiliate (“we,” “us” or “our”), pursuant to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Your Vehicle is priced and configured based on features and options available at the time of order and you can confirm availability with a Tesla representative. Options, features or hardware released or changed after you place your order may not be included in or available for your Vehicle. If you are purchasing a used Vehicle, it may exhibit signs of normal wear and tear in line with its respective age and mileage.

I read that as saying you aren’t eligible for any additional features or improvements that come out after you order.

If we go with your interpretation that means they’re basically free to deliver you whatever spec car they want and claim it fulfils the order, and I think it’s unlikely that would be legal (in the UK at least).

It will be interesting to see if tested in court, which, unless the USS replacement is good and delivered fairly soon, I think we will.

I read that as saying you aren’t eligible for any additional features or improvements that come out after you order.

If we go with your interpretation that means they’re basically free to deliver you whatever spec car they want and claim it fulfils the order, and I think it’s unlikely that would be legal (in the UK at least).

It will be interesting to see if tested in court, which, unless the USS replacement is good and delivered fairly soon, I think we will.
Just leaves a lot of room for interpretation. But yeah interest court case it would be.

Precisely. Seems thats quite a lot of latitude. Especially when the vehicle they use to test drive has the features, their website very prominently advertises features depended on this hardware, and they do not provide a clear itemized list of the missing features/capabilities of the car sitting in front of you at the delivery lot.

If this actually passed muster in court, everyone company should include it in their fine print. Think your car has LATCH connectors for car seats? Maybe it’s been removed. Think your new iPhone has a nice camera? Maybe they swapped a lower spec lens/sensor without telling you. Think you bought new lawnmower? Maybe the inner housing was changed to plastic at the last minute to save money. Etc etc.

Reactions: Mullermn
No one seems to be reading the disclaimer they are agreeing to when they are assigned a VIN.

Your car comes fully equipped with Vision-based Autopilot, which, once your car is updated to the latest version of software (2022.40.4.1), works pretty darn well and doesn't rely on USS at all. The standard Autopilot suite comes with all active emergency safety features activated by default.

These include:
  • Lane Assist (Blind spot monitoring, in Tesla's interaction, relies on vision and not on the USS or rear facing radar like in other cars)
    • Lane departure avoidance
    • Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance
    • Automatic Blind spot Camera
  • Collision Avoidance Assist:
    • Forward Collision Warning
    • Automatic Emergency Braking
    • Multi-Collsion Braking
    • Obstacle-Aware Acceleration
All of these systems operate under Tesla vision only.

These are in addition to Tesla's long history of making some of the safest vehicles anyone can buy. I trust my family's safety with them so much I bought two.

Tesla removed the USS array from ALL Telsa vehicles in October of 2022. There are still some X/S being produced with them, but the majority of vehicles popping up now are USS-less.

The updates and limitations of the current system were announced via press release by Tesla. Just like I had to sign a disclaimer about my car being limited to the radar-less Vision only system back in 2021, there is a disclaimer about the lack of USS and the system's limitations when you were assigned a VIN.

Don't mean to come off as harsh, but these kinds of posts strike a chord with me. You just purchased one of the safest cars on the road. Period. To say there are no safety features is false and misinformed. If you don't want it cause it can't beep when you're not paying attention while backing up, cancel your order.
One of the most important safety features for me as a senior is help with parking. I am completely baffled that Tesla would release a car without features they advertise. Yes, you were supposed to press a button that accepted delivery. Again, because I was having trouble with the app the sales person said just do it when you arrive. He pulled up the button and said just click here. He did not advise me to read the disclaimer nor did anyone in my multiple phone calls to Tesla ever mention the sensors were missing. There was no transparency on their part, no golden rule with Tesla

Reactions: alex77 and Mike7564
One of the most important safety features for me as a senior is help with parking. I am completely baffled that Tesla would release a car without features they advertise. Yes, you were supposed to press a button that accepted delivery. Again, because I was having trouble with the app the sales person said just do it when you arrive. He pulled up the button and said just click here. He did not advise me to read the disclaimer nor did anyone in my multiple phone calls to Tesla ever mention the sensors were missing. There was no transparency on their part, no golden rule with Tesla
I think that's the biggest thing that's missing from the sales/contactless transaction, the lack of transparency. Definite pros/cons but it's not all pros based on my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.