Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just Spoke to Tesla...Reservation date means NOTHING!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not according to teh rep I spoke to. He said...$1000 is refundable, $2500 is not...but as Knightshade said "....assuming a phone rep ever knows WTF they're talking about"

I was allowed to cancel my order after I put the $2500 down for a full refund. I have heard of others going through the same process. They will email you a form to fill out and the process the refund. Key thing here is you must do it before your VIN is assigned.

Either way couldn't hurt for OP to call and ask. Might be on hold for a while though....

Negative, entire amount is refundable up until the point where a VIN is assigned. People have to stop spreading misinformation which helps no one. For confirmation, read your order agreement.
If you receive "bad/possibly incorrect information" from your rep, always call back and try to get the exact same answer from a different rep. Highly unlikely and more often than not, a new person to the job. Can you imagine the turnover in the call center? Yikes.

I hope you are correct, however I see people posting that they ordered in early July 2018 and have received a VIN and in some cases received a car.....I know don't believe everything you read on the internet

As far as I have seen, the people who ordered late and got quick delivery ordered the LR RWD. All the early reservation holders had a chance to buy that configuration, so if you wanted that and delayed, then I don’t have a problem with people who were ready to purchase going ahead of you. I hope and expect that if you are waiting on an AWD car (either model), then reservation time will matter until all the reservation holders who have put in orders get their car.

It may be unfair to the reservation holders who want a SR car, since Tesla hasn’t produced those yet, but reservation holders should still be at the front of the list when those are released.

It seems to me that Tesla will be prioritizing based on order date and profit margin. I think what has happened is that many early reservations are holding out for options such as AWD or white seats. Given that production has been focused on RWD, they have inventory available. If you have the right order in the right place anyone can get a car immediately.

What isn’t clear is how they are allocating the AWD availability. Actual orders will probably take precedence and the profitability of the order will influence priority. AWD with EAP and FSD would likely win out over just the AWD. Perhaps reservation date will be only a tie breaker.

You should get yours right before someone that orders today so what are you complaining about? You should be about #400,000 in line and were worried about a minor website glitch.

You said "I ordered a M3 on 10/19/2016 paid $1000 and just paid the $2500 on June 27th. I have emails from Tesla confirming both transactions."

Best wishes and I hope you get a Bolt or some other electric car that is not a Tesla. That will be a much better vehicle for you. I don't want to hear about every tiny issue you have that does not matter. Rant Over.

Reactions: PessimiStick
The answer here is simple. Tesla is GREEDY FOR YOUR MONEY!!!

Many people like me who reserved the first day are holding out for the base $35K model. Which Tesla refuses to make, even though they can, because it is LESS PROFITABLE FOR TESLA. This is why we have photos of parking lots loaded with Model 3's, and why you can now order an AWD or Performance 3 ahead of all the first day reservation holders who refuse to pay more than $35K and will wait Tesla out.

Tesla has many RWD LR cars in stock, and will let them sit until people buy them at HIGH PROFITS FOR TESLA. Tesla will also make profitable AWD and Performance cars now, the base model people can take a number and wait.

It is wrong that first day reservers are being forsaken for people who give Tesla more money. And it is wrong that Tesla refuses to make the car they promised, because it is less profitable for them.

In other words, Tesla only cares about you if you give them large profits on your sale. If you are holding them to their word of a $35K car, you can wait until they get good and ready to make it.

Not according to teh rep I spoke to. He said...$1000 is refundable, $2500 is not...
Tesla isn't obligated to refund it but asking nice tends to work well. Just last week someone in the Delivery sub-forum got their's refunded just by asking. It is likely key if they haven't actually built your order yet. They aren't selling Florida swamp timeshares, after all. ;) They don't need any given sale because the product is sound and customers are still coming. It's just a PITA to have actually built it or it's rolling through the factory queue at the moment, think of it as a restocking fee.

...but as Knightshade said "....assuming a phone rep ever knows WTF they're talking about"

So much this. It is something Tesla is notoriously poor on, keeping their reps fully informed and also reps having the discipline to not shoot off their mouth about things they don't know. :p

It's quite likely the rep was telling you something to put you at ease about that weirdness in the data that they they probably aren't sure they could fix. We've seen, as others have mentioned, evidence to the contrary of what the rep told you. Not so much anymore with RWD orders but the D and P orders do seem to heavily tilt towards reservation date.

I'm an early Apr 1/2016 reservation of a D, ordered within minutes of it opening up on the June 27, and I've got no VIN where as there are a number of Mar 31 people with D orders made after me that should be ahead me by reservation timestamp with VINs.

It'll come.

P.S. Frankly I'll be more at easy if it slips into September because I'll be more confident on the FSD or not decision having been informed by whatever Tesla does (or fails to) deliver on that next month. We'll also have he very first pioneers out of the way. The thing about Teslas is that being a little later has it's own upsides, because Tesla is so aggressive about iterative improvements.

The answer here is simple. Tesla is GREEDY FOR YOUR MONEY!!!

Many people like me who reserved the first day are holding out for the base $35K model. Which Tesla refuses to make, even though they can, because it is LESS PROFITABLE FOR TESLA. This is why we have photos of parking lots loaded with Model 3's, and why you can now order an AWD or Performance 3 ahead of all the first day reservation holders who refuse to pay more than $35K and will wait Tesla out.

Tesla has many RWD LR cars in stock, and will let them sit until people buy them at HIGH PROFITS FOR TESLA. Tesla will also make profitable AWD and Performance cars now, the base model people can take a number and wait.

It is wrong that first day reservers are being forsaken for people who give Tesla more money. And it is wrong that Tesla refuses to make the car they promised, because it is less profitable for them.

In other words, Tesla only cares about you if you give them large profits on your sale. If you are holding them to their word of a $35K car, you can wait until they get good and ready to make it.
Last time I checked Tesla was losing an incredible amount of money...

Reactions: Zorg
@Todd Burch

I did commit to an order.......two years ago! Did you? And I re-confirmed my commitment last month when I plunked down another $2500 this time not refundable. Now Tesla has said that the "agreement" we made two years ago now means nothing.

I put my reservation down in January of 2010 for a Model S. Received it almost exactly 3 years later. Been around the block a few times here.

But I did drive a friend 3 hours in my Model S on day 1 to the Charlotte service center so she could make her Model 3 reservation.

And you did not make an agreement. You put down a deposit to reserve a spot in line for the opportunity to order the car.

Everyone on the list was invited to order based on reservation date. Once everyone was given the option to order, it was opened up to everyone. If someone defers, naturally they’ll go further back in line. If someone wants the short range battery, they’ll unfortunately have to wait. The reality is that Tesla needs to focus on their cash flow situation so they’ll still be around to make those short range cars. Tesla wants everyone to get their cars, but they can’t bend reality to do it.

I know you want the cars to be delivered exactly in the order that the orders were confirmed, but reality doesn’t work that way. The paint shop can’t switch colors for each car. They have to be made in color batches, organized by geographic delivery region for shipping logistics, etc.

You just seem to have a bit of a rosy expectation that in no way reflects the reality of the situation.

Last edited:
It clearly means something if you ordered performance. Here is my screenshot just taken...Looks like a bug in their system.
Thanks. I have spoken to the Tesla reps twice. A week ago they said they would correct and contact me within 48 hours. I heard nothing so today I called back and was told it made no difference and that they didn't need to, or couldn't/wouldn't fix it. So now I wonder......but hey I reserved on 1/1/0001 so I should be next in line....right :)

• Funny
Reactions: C141medic
So I just got off the phone with Tesla because the "Reservation date" under "Payments" on my M3 Reservation page indicates a date paid of 1/1/0001. (see below). In speaking to the Sales/Support person at Tesla I was told "Don't worry about it because the Reservation Date (when I put down $1000) over two years ago is irrelevant now" he went on to say that someone who orders today can get their Model 3 before me even though I reserved over two years ago. This has me a little pi$$ed. That's not what was said when I shucked the $$$ to Tesla.

Anyone else get this story from Tesla? Now I wished I hadn't put down the $2500 non-refundable, I would just wait a little more and get the Jaguar or the Volkswagen.

If true this just confirms that I won't be buying a second M3 for my wife when the SR comes along as I had planned.

View attachment 321738

Deposit 1/1/0001-$1,000.00

No idea what you are complaining about. It sounds like Tesla gave you an opportunity to buy months ago (as a benefit to you putting down a refundable deposit). But you didn't take advantage of that benefit and held out buying. Now you're ready to buy and are demanding Tesla bump you to the front of the line past all those who have configured months ago.

Is that right?

Incorrect, according to the order agreement. Again, up until a VIN is assigned, entire deposit amount is refundable.

I have read the agreement and here is a clip directly from the order agreement.....

Order; Nonrefundable Order Payment; Changes. Once you submit your completed order, we will locate a vehicle to match your Vehicle Configuration and coordinate the shipment of the Vehicle for delivery. Your Order Payment covers the cost of these activities and other processing costs and is nonrefundable; it is not a deposit for the Vehicle. Any changes to your Vehicle Configuration, delivery location or expected delivery time after the Order Date will be difficult, if not impossible, for us to accommodate. If you want to make changes to your order, we will try to accommodate your request. If we accept your request, you will be subject to a non-refundable $500 change fee and potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date. Any
changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuration, including changes to the delivery location or estimated delivery date, will be reflected in a subsequent Vehicle Configuration that will form part of this Agreement.

Cancellation; Default: We incur significant costs in managing your order, and locating and coordinating delivery logistics for your Vehicle. We may also incur significant costs for remarketing and reselling the Vehicle, including additional coordination, logistics and transport costs. If you cancel or default in this Agreement, you will not be refunded your Order Payment as it has already been earned by us in taking and processing your order. You acknowledge that the Order Payment amount is a fair and reasonable estimate of the actual damages that we have incurred or may incur as a result of your breach of this Agreement, damages that are otherwise impracticable or extremely difficult to determine. When you take delivery of the vehicle we will provide a credit to the final purchase price of your Vehicle equivalent to the amount of the Order Payment you paid. This Order Payment and this Agreement are not made or entered into in anticipation of or pending any conditional sale contract.

Seems pretty clear to me????

No idea what you are complaining about. It sounds like Tesla gave you an opportunity to buy months ago (as a benefit to you putting down a refundable deposit). But you didn't take advantage of that benefit and held out buying. Now you're ready to buy and are demanding Tesla bump you to the front of the line past all those who have configured months ago.

Is that right?
You sir are wrong. I was given the ability to "Buy" as you say on June 27th just like most other people. I was not offered a confirmation months ago.

H
I have read the agreement and here is a clip directly from the order agreement.....

Order; Nonrefundable Order Payment; Changes. Once you submit your completed order, we will locate a vehicle to match your Vehicle Configuration and coordinate the shipment of the Vehicle for delivery. Your Order Payment covers the cost of these activities and other processing costs and is nonrefundable; it is not a deposit for the Vehicle. Any changes to your Vehicle Configuration, delivery location or expected delivery time after the Order Date will be difficult, if not impossible, for us to accommodate. If you want to make changes to your order, we will try to accommodate your request. If we accept your request, you will be subject to a non-refundable $500 change fee and potential price increases for any pricing adjustments made since your original Order Date. Any
changes made by you to your Vehicle Configuration, including changes to the delivery location or estimated delivery date, will be reflected in a subsequent Vehicle Configuration that will form part of this Agreement.

Cancellation; Default: We incur significant costs in managing your order, and locating and coordinating delivery logistics for your Vehicle. We may also incur significant costs for remarketing and reselling the Vehicle, including additional coordination, logistics and transport costs. If you cancel or default in this Agreement, you will not be refunded your Order Payment as it has already been earned by us in taking and processing your order. You acknowledge that the Order Payment amount is a fair and reasonable estimate of the actual damages that we have incurred or may incur as a result of your breach of this Agreement, damages that are otherwise impracticable or extremely difficult to determine. When you take delivery of the vehicle we will provide a credit to the final purchase price of your Vehicle equivalent to the amount of the Order Payment you paid. This Order Payment and this Agreement are not made or entered into in anticipation of or pending any conditional sale contract.

Seems pretty clear to me????
Honestly just cancel. You'd be a nightmare costumer anyway.

Tesla will refund you 100% of your deposit. So call them now and goodbye.

Enjoy the Jaguar IPace you *might* get in 2 years (that is, if Google stops buying them). Meanwhile the rest of us will be driving our Teslas