Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just test drove a highland in Los Angeles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of thoughts.
The door thunk, sound insulation and softer ride quality are amazing improvements. I was mentally expecting good improvements but was still impressed. It's like a civic to a Toyota Avalon. Almost felt like magic. BUT there is a considerable loss of steering feel and response. The car is very capable but felt like a high tech appliance to me. Lacking character. I think it will be a home run for 90% of buyers who just want a city commuter. But for sporty buyers I would say buy used. I'm still waiting to try the highland performance which I'm sure will be the goat. For comparison I'd say a stock 2018 3 performance supension is a 1 for harshness. Adding tein shocks makes it a 6-7. Highland on 18" wheels a 10.

The loss of the turning stalks is a huge mistake. Buyers maybe can get used to it but the driving experience is terrible. It's hard to signal. It's hard to activate autopilot. The buttons don't have a good easy feeling. If I worked at Tesla design I would be firing people. Sexy buttons can help fix all these issues though.

The new interior feels generic like I'm inside an IKEA. Not for me but others seem ok with it. The new steering wheel feels opposite of sporty or cool. The new MCU is very snappy. Shifting on the screen is fine. Again I miss the stalks. The cooled seats are very nice vs not having the feature but the cooling effect isn't as strong as other cars I've tried like the model S. But the overall package of the car is just incredible. It's fast. Smooth. Quiet. Ok looking. Autopilot. What a car! That being said I would choose a used 3 performance anyday and travel the world with the money saved.
IMG_8779.jpeg
IMG_8775.jpeg

Last edited:
Tein endura pros really help the old cars.

you have it in your car? If you're near DTLA I wouldn't mind giving it a test ride and compare to my stock suspension and see if it's worth the upgrade for when the warranty expires!

What makes it hard? In my stalkless S, you can just press the right scroll button to activate autopilot. How do you do it in the new 3?
The leverage your thumb has to push the button on the wheel isn't nearly as good as your pinkie finger pulling down the stalk. Sounds silly but doing that millions or more times over the life of the car sucks. I think all highland owners should get sexy buttons placed behind the wheels for signaling etc. Plus the autopilot button on the brand new car I drove was stuck broken somehow.

Reactions: primedive
Has anyone talked about if the highland suspension could be retrofitted to the old cars or did they redesign the structure?

I.keep.thinking about it. Reminded me of my friends Camry in high school with 65 series sidewalls. Eats up the bumps like fat Albert. Of course I'm comparing it to my ridiculous for life 35 series 20" tires.

Has anyone talked about if the highland suspension could be retrofitted to the old cars or did they redesign the structure?

I.keep.thinking about it. Reminded me of my friends Camry in high school with 65 series sidewalls. Eats up the bumps like fat Albert. Of course I'm comparing it to my ridiculous for life 35 series 20" tires.
From the Motortrend review they say front end geometry was changed. But without someone experienced breaking down the cars and maybe trying to put the suspension from Highland to Original 3, it's gonna be hard to tell if they fit for sure. https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/...long-range-new-vs-old-comparison-test-review/

Keep an eye out on 3rd party suspension companies like Koni, Ohlins, and see if they update their compatibility chart to include Highland for their products.

Reactions: Georgesb2
The loss of the turning stalks is a huge mistake. ,,,the driving experience is terrible. It's hard to signal. …If I worked at Tesla design I would be firing people. Sexy buttons can help fix all these issues though.
Yet another case of ‘just because you can doesn’t mean you should.’ Just like the yoke. Hopefully They’ll do the same as the yoke, realize their mistake and backtrack.

Sorry to jump in on this question with a question. I am curious why you do this. There is the free roll drive mode. Maybe you like hold(and regen or one pedal) most of the time but then sometimes you want roll mode to coast? Seems like if that’s it, maybe another drive mode that lets you switch between two modes on the fly as if you had the stock via a thumb wheel click?

Sorry to jump in on this question with a question. I am curious why you do this. There is the free roll drive mode. Maybe you like hold(and regen or one pedal) most of the time but then sometimes you want roll mode to coast? Seems like if that’s it, maybe another drive mode that lets you switch between two modes on the fly as if you had the stock via a thumb wheel click?
There is no free roll mode aside from neutral, only low and high regen

Reactions: UncleCreepy
Yes or use the button on the ceiling an each side of the hazard lights.
That seems detrimental to the cars constant nagging that I have to pay attention. I can push the right stalk upwards without looking at it, and personally, I'd rather keep it that way. I appreciate the answer though, that's a good point. I forgot about those buttons.

Roll mode only makes a difference at low speeds, and yes, I use hold mode. I also have no intentions to increase wear on my brake pads, so lowering the regeneration is not an option either.

This would probably not be a dealbreaker, but I'd definitely want to test drive a highland before I buy one. I was okay with all the controls on the screen when I bought my Model 3, but removing the stalks, at least in my view, was a bad design choice.