Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Just test drove a MS on Friday and love it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I scheduled a test drive of the MS in anticipation of the M3 announcement. (I wanted to at least sit in a Tesla before ordering one) After driving a 70 with autopilot, upgraded seats and lighting I think I want an S now and not wait a few years for the 3. Amazing car. I am a huge car guy and I have had lots of Porsche / BMW cars prior to this. I have a 996 Cab that I am going to trade in on a Tesla. I am in KY so I will have to buy the car as they do not offer leasing.

Does everyone suggest I wait until the M3 announcement to order my S? I saw on the forums here that there may be some changes happening with the options.

I have never spent more than 50k on a car so this is a huge jump even to get an 80k M70 S. Will I be disappointed not getting the extra range and HP of the 90? although the upgrade in speed and range is half the cost of the M3 !

My kids approve.

Attachments

• 46285_10207904908513449_6522710763763244657_n.jpg
    46285_10207904908513449_6522710763763244657_n.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 109
I scheduled a test drive of the MS in anticipation of the M3 announcement. (I wanted to at least sit in a Tesla before ordering one) After driving a 70 with autopilot, upgraded seats and lighting I think I want an S now and not wait a few years for the 3. Amazing car. I am a huge car guy and I have had lots of Porsche / BMW cars prior to this. I have a 996 Cab that I am going to trade in on a Tesla. I am in KY so I will have to buy the car as they do not offer leasing.

Does everyone suggest I wait until the M3 announcement to order my S? I saw on the forums here that there may be some changes happening with the options.

I have never spent more than 50k on a car so this is a huge jump even to get an 80k M70 S. Will I be disappointed not getting the extra range and HP of the 90? although the upgrade in speed and range is half the cost of the M3 !

My kids approve.

Please include the continuous and variable costs of fuel that last as long as your car lasts. And then there's maintenance, like oil changes, catalytic converters and mufflers, trans fluids, belts, hoses, radiator flushes, etc. etc. You could easily buy a gas car and end up paying for a Tesla.

Yes, buy the S now. I have a 90D, and it is quicker than the original P85. Yet my range is actually closer to the original touted 300 miles, in actual EPA testing. I don't know how much you value quickness, but when you're showing the car to a Porsche 650 hp owner, and he keeps muttering, "I can't believe it. I can't believe it", you can't quit smiling. Range? Some day you'll wish you had, if you drive distance. In a few years, you won't remember what you paid, and they can't pry the car out of your hands.

And, in 3 years, you can order the Model ≡ and dump the gas cars.

Once you test drive it's all over :). After our test drive my wife said "You have to buy this car" haha

I really went back and forth between the 90D and 70D. I ended up choosing the 70D with all the options I wanted. Range was not an issue for me and the 70D is plenty fast. Really it just comes down to your personal driving habits and how much you drive in a day. 13K extra for 40 miles of range and 1 second of 0-60 improvement was not worth it to me but it may be worth it for you.

Reactions: Chaz
I'm doing the same thing. Sure, there is the Model 3 (promised, but who knows when); there is the rumor of price increases and upgrades etc etc soon, but who cares - the Model S is probably the best available car right now (as long as you are willing to deal with the immature state of charging infrastructure). I'm making the jump to Model S speed.

Once you test drive it's all over :). After our test drive my wife said "You have to buy this car" haha

I really went back and forth between the 90D and 70D. I ended up choosing the 70D with all the options I wanted. Range was not an issue for me and the 70D is plenty fast. Really it just comes down to your personal driving habits and how much you drive in a day. 13K extra for 40 miles of range and 1 second of 0-60 improvement was not worth it to me but it may be worth it for you.
Boy, the worst thing you can do is take a test drive. Once you do it is all over from that point on. The smile on my wife's face stayed for days after. Mine has never left. :)

Reactions: Chaz
yeah,
I used to have a good record of test driving cars and being able to walk away then back in 2011 I test drove a 911 Turbo with about 550 hp. I put a deposit down in 24 hours after the PPI came back clean. Crazy fast and really loud with its aftermarket exhaust.

As an extra bit of irony I work for an oil company! I even have a service pit in my house so I can "work" on my cars!
We are the OEM supplier of the coolant for Tesla though so that counts for something!

My wife drove the 70 too and she told the salesman " I think you have him convinced" after seeing the look on my face. She is correct. I have fallen for the car.

I took my family to test drive the Model S so we can learn more and help us make a decision on buying the Model 3.

We were all very impressed by the performance, handling, autopilot, smoothness, and more. We decide to order a 70D instead of waiting for the Model 3. We were close to getting the 90D for the range and power, but adding an extra 13,000 was too expensive.

Once you test drive a Tesla, it changes the way you see cars.

I have had my 90D for 2 weeks now and have covered 2,000 work miles (UK).Test drove a P85D, but chose a 90D on 19" plus lots of toys. I think it's brilliant, especially the autopilot. I do find I have to concentrate on the range for today and tomorrow, plan in an extra hour for charging etc, and the range isn't quite what I'd hoped. 260 mile range ends up at about 175 after allowing for normal highway speeds and heating etc. I get home an hour later that I used to if I want to charge free out on the roads. (Home costs about £4.50/100 miles, but I do home charge just to be at home!). If I'm doing 200-300 miles and want to get to meetings, the Superchargers are the only practical chargers timewise, but there aren't enough of them in the UK yet especially I the North and East, and more Tesla means frequent Tesla queues at charging points. Could do with a time display on the charger to know whether to hang around and wait for drivers, or better an online notification. At the moment I don't know whether they are 5 minutes in or 45....
They are a good number of Rapid DC chargers out there, but they are at best half as fast as a Supercharger...But essential if the Superchargers are used upOnly other things are rear seat belts tighten up and have to undone quite often, and it keeps telling me the screen wash is low.....and not quite enough pockets for a mobile office!

I am in the Chicago area for a couple of weeks on business. On Wednesday I thought I would stop at the Oakbrook store and check it out in anticipation of ordering a 3. Test drove the S and loved it. Friday my wife joined me for the weekend and we went back. Drove it again and she loved it so we're taking deliver of an S70 they had in inventory on 3/31. We will be driving it back to FL 4/1-2.

I am in the Chicago area for a couple of weeks on business. On Wednesday I thought I would stop at the Oakbrook store and check it out in anticipation of ordering a 3. Test drove the S and loved it. Friday my wife joined me for the weekend and we went back. Drove it again and she loved it so we're taking deliver of an S70 they had in inventory on 3/31. We will be driving it back to FL 4/1-2.
Congrats! You'll need to join the FL club if you haven't already, and see when we are meeting locally!

They're becoming more prevalent in KY! I'm in Nashville to take delivery of a 90D this afternoon. Thirty days from confirmation to delivery. I,too, was hooked after the test drive. I'm hopeful we can get a corporate Tesla presence in the bluegrass.

I put a $2500 deposit down. I plan on going through with it unless the M3 has better specs than my MS when it is released (at a lower price point) I really wish I could lease the car in KY. leasing for 3 years would alleviate a lot of my concerns about the value dropping quickly after the M3 starts hitting the road. Is there any work around for leasing the Tesla in states that do not allow it?