Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Karma -vs- Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curiosity question I suppose. From what I can find on stats, the Model S skidpad results aren't as good as the Karma's. Yet the Model S weighs less and has a lower center of gravity and, presumably, a more centralized weight balance given the battery location. So why would the Karma out corner the Model S?

Just a Google search on "karma skidpad" and "'model s' skidpad" since I'd heard it mentioned before.
2013 Chevrolet Volt vs. 2012 Fisker Karma - Video - HybridCars.com
2012 Tesla Model S Track Test
You can't exactly compare numbers done by different publications, since the exact procedures they use may vary. I remember Edmund's number of 0.86g being the worse one out there for the Model S (that's probably because it's a 200ft diameter skidpad vs probably 300ft in the Volt vs Karma):
http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s/2012/road-test-specs1.html
0.92G is also the best number I have seen for the Karma.

Here's Car and Driver's numbers for both:
Model S Performance: Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.91 g
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-tesla-model-s-test-review

Fisker Karma vs Volt: Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.89 g
http://media.caranddriver.com/files...s-2012-fisker-karma-comparison-spec-chart.pdf

Fisker Karma review: Roadholding, 200-ft-dia skidpad: 0.87 g
http://media.caranddriver.com/files...w-car-and-driver2012-fisker-karma-ecochic.pdf

Last edited:
Another interesting comparison, not directly with the Karma but the use of its body/glider' to make the Destino - "Karma with a big V8".

For the Model S, there's neither the need nor the ability to do this kind of transplant.

The performance of from-the-factory Model S options precludes the need, and the EV-specific layout of the car (no engine compartment, no center tunnel, etc. etc.) precludes the ability.

Another interesting comparison, not directly with the Karma but the use of its body/glider' to make the Destino - "Karma with a big V8".

For the Model S, there's neither the need nor the ability to do this kind of transplant.

The performance of from-the-factory Model S options precludes the need, and the EV-specific layout of the car (no engine compartment, no center tunnel, etc. etc.) precludes the ability.

Actually would be curious to see if they could fit the Tesla powertrain into a Karma glider... now THAT would be interesting!

Interesting video review, but I did feel a bit uncomfortable watching it, because it just felt like a staged bash session on some level. I did appreciate the information provided, their driving impressions, and the curious historical bits of each company. Their pricing was a little bit off, though.

I can agree that Fisker has dug a deep hole for itself, mainly from bad business planning, but every contributor to the EV biosphere is essential at this phase, and now it seems that we are eating our own.

I can agree that Fisker has dug a deep hole for itself, mainly from bad business planning, but every contributor to the EV biosphere is essential at this phase, and now it seems that we are eating our own.
Yeah, I don't feel comfortable about it either. Even though the Karma is kind of a "rival", Tesla won't gain very much fighting against the Karma. Both should target the non-plug-in rivals for any hope of having a long term market. In the same vein, it irks me when PHEV fans and manufacturers push against BEVs.

I do not consider either of these people "real" journalists.

I also feel, personal opinion, that John Voelker's (sp?) voice is worse than chalk on a board. He should stick to writing. There's a reason people make careers out of voice overs. Listen to the voices, for example, of the narrators who documented "Carbon Nation" (Bill Kurtis) and National Geographic "MegaFactory" (Tony Hirst) to name but two ...

Last edited by a moderator: