Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Karma -vs- Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone dig up the Fisker review video. The math regarding the solar cells is pretty convincing that it's almost offensively against the decision to include them on the vehicle.

Yeah, that is something I call "greenwashing". The area of the solar cells is not nearly enough to provide any significant amount of charging, plus you're now carrying around the weight. There is no advantage to it, except to look green.

I include CFL lightbulbs, (and of course Ethanol made from corn), in your "greenwashing". Yes CFLs save energy, but they never factor in the increased cost and resources used to make the bulbs or the environmental and money expense to properly dispose of them after use.

I agree, the roof solar cells add complexity, risk of very expensive damage from daily use, and provides negligible energy. Rather than charge the cost of including it, they forced all Karma owners to pay for it because it was important to have it for marketing purposes and they knew that very few owners would want it if they had to pay extra for it.

Someone dig up the Fisker review video. The math regarding the solar cells is pretty convincing that it's almost offensively against the decision to include them on the vehicle.

It's not practical. Many things about cars are not practical. I see it as a sign of "cool" and "high tech" Since a solar panel covered car is suggested by the uninformed on a weekly basis, why not give them the show they are asking for?

ModelSKarma.jpg

Posting a picture (from the Fisker Buzz forum) of Model S and Karma side by side.

Both looks good but I prefer the Model S classic elegance style.

Is it just me.... the wipers on the Karma stick out like sore thumbs while the Model S ones are nicely hidden given a clean streamline look?

Link to Fisker Buzz for the picture:
http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/28-car-lounge/1548-tesla-model-s-3.html

Last edited:
Posting a picture (from the Fisker Buzz forum) of Model S and Karma side by side.
Please edit to include a link to the source post so that the photographer gets some credit.

Is it just me.... the wipers on the Karma stick out like sore thumbs while the Model S ones are nicely hidden given a clean streamline look?
The wipers don't bother me. If we're going to nitpick on little things, I'd say that cheap looking black styrofoam behind the Karma grill is more distracting. I understand that it's supposedly needed for crash safety. That's fine, but seems to me it would be pretty easy to dress up to look like a smooth piece of plastic rather than some packing foam that came in the box with your TV.

Wow, the Model S really looks way better than the Karma.

Don't read too much into the pictures. It's hard to explain why, but the Karma is one of those things that really is MUCH better in person. When I brought my family to pick up my Karma in January, my parents really didn't understand why I was making such an impractical purchase (I spend most of my time in NYC, and am in LA two weekends or so per month...so the Karma was a splurge). But then when we got to the dealer, they saw the Karma in person (they had seen many many pics of it before), and then my mom said "I understand why now." Incidentally, the Model S in person is as it looks in the pictures - ditto on the Fisker Atlantic, which looks just like it does in the pictures. The Karma is a different beast - you gotta see it in person!