Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob cracking on top

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend drives a Panamera, and the other day I happened to get a glimpse of his key fob. I wish Tesla had gone this route.

1004_24+porsche_panamera_s+key_fob.jpg

OK, I admit it... has anyone recovered their Model S fob after a ride in the washing machine? One of ours took that trip it is now disassembled and in a plastic bag with some silica dryer packets. We headed for S Cal tomorrow so will leave it alone for five days of drying out. Hope it acts sober when we get home.

A friend drives a Panamera, and the other day I happened to get a glimpse of his key fob. I wish Tesla had gone this route.
View attachment 20172
It looks like a sturdy metallic key. While I like that my S fob is light weight, I also think I'd prefer a little heft for the metallic strength. Not having the Panamera fob in hand, I'm guessing a little based on my visual impression.

I like the key design but the plastic covering is simply too flimsy to hold up over time.

yup, another owner "piling on". I try to only use one key (keeping the other as a spare) and yesterday noticed the cracked top on the key I regularly use. Clearly Tesla will need to address this with either a new "sleeve" (replace the guts) or else they could do an "iPhone antenna gate" and send us all free cases :redface:

Just noticed this on my wife's fob, which by all accounts has been lost somewhere in her purse for months. We pulled it out this weekend as I left mine at home and the top is basically cracking in a perfect circle. It has been is a small zippered part of her purse mostly, so I'm pretty surprised that this is happening.

Strangely, mine, which gets abused and used regularly, is not cracking at all.

Mine had a faint crack visible in it when it was basically brand new. So far, the top is still attached.

I would happily trade it for a Panamera-style fob with visible buttons, but perhaps they'll be able to figure out how to keep the concealed look and make it more durable.

I don't know if anybody is following this thread. We received our brown "otter" just before Christmas, 2012. A month or so ago I noticed the top starting to crack, then the trunk end. Now both tops have fallen off. I retrieved one from the ground, another from my pants pocket. Wonder if this lets moisture in, does anything else?
TeslaFob.jpg

Mine's cracking around the top button, too. Started around 4 months--I've had the car8 months now. Not progressing. I've heard they'll replace it, but it's not that bad or bothersome, so I haven't bothered.

Is anyone else having a problem with the key fob cracking on the center button? The top is cracking around the circular button below it. I've had the car for 3 months now and wouldn't think the fob would have problems so soon. I called customer experience and they said that the service center could take care of it. I plan on calling them today but wanted to see if anyone else seeing this?

-Joe