Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob not working STRANDED!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi our key fob is not working. Changed the battery, still not working, can't use Tesla app to open as no mobile service in the underground parking, no Tesla service/help as its the weekend, and parking garage is too low for a tow truck to get in???

We tried the death spot, still not working.

We are in another state in Australia and can't even get into our car to even drag it out with another car up to the top if the parking garage so we can get mobile service.

This must happen ALL the time...obviously an oversight by Tesla !

Any recommendations on what we can do besides flying home to get our spare FOB?

Thanks in anticipation

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
I had a similar issue with my X a couple weeks ago. Car wouldn’t recognize the fob and holding the fob below the FWD to try and get the door to open wouldn’t work for me either. hers what I had to do.
Pull the battery out of the fob for a couple minutes then reinsert. IMMEDIATELY go up to the car and see if it opens and will start. You have to be quick.
My car would “forget” the fob after about 1 minute so I had to be quick to go up to the car with the fob.
I had to get my fob replaced because it had died. Hope this helps.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Tesla has emergency roadside assistance 24/7 (at least here does). Also some carriers like ATT offer cellular extenders you could plug into a wall outlet near the garage entrance.

Also did you try pressing the door handle IN to wake the car up? If it's parked for >48 hours it will go to sleep and stop responding to passive entry until you press a handle to wake it up

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
It is entirely possible that it is NOT your keyfob's problem. When our Model X's 12 volts died, the keyfob won't open the door either. In that case, you need to open up the frunk by pulling the 2 loops hidden inside the front bumper. Jump the car with a 12 volts to get in. But it is not going to help you with the drive home as you still need to replace the 12v battery.

can't use Tesla app to open as no mobile service in the underground parking
Do you remember any of the WiFi networks your car has been connected to? Take an extra phone - create a hotspot with the same network name and password. Then wake up the car by pressing the door handle or charge port. See if it connects to WiFi and remote start via app.
Ummm... Either you missed some steps, or that wasn't gonna work. Congrats on the Helpful and Informative votes, though...

• Disagree
Reactions: VikH