Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob vs phone reliability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery yesterday and curious as to the general reliability of the phone as they key, 90%, 95%, 99%? I have an iPhone Pro if that is a factor or not. I know unless it’s a very high success rate I will probably want to get the fob (I’m assuming that would be 99%).
Anyone have experience with the two approaches (no pun intended)?

Yes. The FOB is more reliable than the phone which tends to need to be pulled out of my pocket to be reliable. I however don't like carrying the fob. However my CNICK ring is 100 percent reliable and always on me. All have their pros and cons... although I can't hink of a con on the ring...other than my wife giving me crap for brutalizing it. I never take it off and its probably not as shiny as hers anymore.

49787322107_1c9b6c0a5a_c.jpg

Reactions: Matsayz and pkitch
Incase we have Model Y owners who haven't seen this on the Model 3 pages, here ya go. It may not be for everyone, I get it but it works for some people. I can't take my phone into the office due to policy and I hate digging my keycard out of my wallet or smacking my ID lanyard against the B-pillar.

I just received mine in today. Ordered 8 June arrived 24 June. I got a custom ring that I saw on their Instagram (attached that picture) which is a bit more expensive than their standard colors. It was $150 (cu + $15 in shipping I think. I think the price is decent compared to the quality and what I've seen on Amazon or the like.

It’s not as wide as I was expecting it (8mm is what they say). It is wider than my wedding band (about 4mm I think) but I’m also just not used to wearing a ring on my other hand. It’s very light and thin. I can’t seem to find a seam so it’s well made. The company was responsive to emails prior to purchase. They require approval of the custom rings before you submit an order. I did not want any logos on it, no Tesla T and I didn’t want the company logo either.

It’s already come in handy as I walked to the car without my phone or wallet to grab some paperwork. It paired just like a regular key car and I’m good to go! I’d recommend it for sure.

Attachments

• IMG_1883.png
    IMG_1883.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 435
  • IMG_1884.png
    IMG_1884.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 243
  • IMG_1885.png
    IMG_1885.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 204
  • IMG_1886.png
    IMG_1886.png
    2 MB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1887.png
    IMG_1887.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 230
  • IMG_1888.png
    IMG_1888.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 230
  • IMG_1889.png
    IMG_1889.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 227
I can’t remember (had the fob on the 3; was a waste of $150 because iPhone works perfectly): does the fob even do proximity unlock or don’t you have to use it like the key card (e.g. hold up to pillar to lock/unlock, hold up to console to drive)
The newer version (I don’t know the date when they changed it) but does operate by proximity, I.e. you can leave it in your pocket.

Yes. The FOB is more reliable than the phone which tends to need to be pulled out of my pocket to be reliable. I however don't like carrying the fob. However my CNICK ring is 100 percent reliable and always on me. All have their pros and cons... although I can't hink of a con on the ring...other than my wife giving me crap for brutalizing it. I never take it off and its probably not as shiny as hers anymore.

49787322107_1c9b6c0a5a_c.jpg

What color did your wife go with? Looking for a fellow lady's advice.

I've had my 3 for just over 2 years now and have only used my card key a couple of times when my iPhone didn't work right away. That was in the early days as I learned that sometimes the app would lock up or it would want me to reauthenticate etc. During the winter when I have my phone in my back pocket sometimes I'd have to do a butt turn to get it to work.

I haven't had my Y long enough to judge it, but I'd assume it will be the same. I still carry the key in my wallet just in case. As I said on other threads though, I wish they would make a smaller card key - like the size of some the frequent shopper cards I have (which I think are about 1/3 to 1/4 size) just because in the past few years I really tried to minimize what I carry in my wallet.

Anecdotally, my son has had his M3 for a year now. He states that his phone works "most of the time", probably around 99%. On rare occasion it doesn't detect him walking up to the car and requires the key card (which he carries in his wallet at all times) and thinks it is more a Bluetooth communication issue with his phone/environment than the car/phone talking to one another.

What color did your wife go with? Looking for a fellow lady's advice.

Here you go. This is what she chose. Just a heads up...and picking my words wisely here so i don't get my ass kicked. My wife is not really the dainty type. An ex career soldier... handy in a bar fight etc. Just sayin, She is probably not as brutal on her ring as I am but she is still kinda rough on it. Gardening, etc..... The colour in the picture went yellowy for some reason looks but its actually quite white.

50043889621_eb57c2f9de_c.jpg

Last edited:
Here you go. This is what she chose. Just a heads up...and picking my words wisely here so i don't get my ass kicked. My wife is not really the dainty type. An ex career soldier... handy in a bar fight etc. Just sayin, She is probably not as brutal on her ring as I am but she is still kinda rough on it. Gardening, etc..... The colour in the picture went yellowy for some reason looks but its actually quite white.

50043889621_eb57c2f9de_c.jpg

Thanks to both of you!