Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keyfob - All Windows Down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, I was just watching an official walkthrough video in trying to pacify some of my anxiety and noted that the guy said you can hold down the middle button on the fob and it will lower all the windows? Is that still true? I heard too many people were sitting on their keys and lowering the windows while it rained . . .

I also want to know if I'm watching an outdated video! Thanks, cs

5 days . . .

Reactions: David29
It hasn't been true for a couple of years. The problem is that it was way too easy to inadvertently press the button by accident. This is vastly annoying when it's pouring rain. Unfortunately, pressing a second time didn't roll them up, you had to go to the car and use the interior buttons.

I developed an aftermarket product that did all this, for VW line.
Then VW built in window opening/closing from the fob.
Good bye market!

Tesla, as we've seen, can so easily build this into firmware too!

And why couldn't it be a setting? Seems weird that they would give a feature like that and then take it away!
It could be. (Unfortunately) there are very few examples in recent months/years where Tesla has implemented a usability improvement or refinement like that -- except as it relates to AutoPilot. It's sorta like -- what is provided in the first iteration is what we've got at least for now, and if something breaks or needs rework (e.g. media selection button for everyone when Spotify replaced defunct Rdio in Europe), functionality is removed instead of being reworked. As to what the future holds, only Elon knows or is likely to set the direction.

I thought it was telling that they removed the windows-down feature because people were triggering it accidentally, and then just a few months later used the exact same easy-to-trigger press-and-hold gesture to the charge port opening feature.

They removed a feature some people liked, learned nothing from those who didn't like it, and then went on to immediately make the same mistake again.

I thought it was telling that they removed the windows-down feature because people were triggering it accidentally, and then just a few months later used the exact same easy-to-trigger press-and-hold gesture to the charge port opening feature.

They removed a feature some people liked, learned nothing from those who didn't like it, and then went on to immediately make the same mistake again.

I liked it but once did trigger it by mistake in my driveway - fortunately it wasn't raining and I noticed all the windows down when I went out later that night.

I think the charge port door, being on the back button rather than the top, is much hard to trigger accidentally. And even if it happens, there is no real downside as there could be on the windows. Before they implemented the ability to push the charge port door to open it, the key fob method came in very handy at J1772 chargers. Going back into the car to open the port from the touchscreen got old.