Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Keyfob Washing Machine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

croman

Nov 21, 2016
Chicago, IL
Yea, I forgot my keyfob was in my fleece pocket (instead of my jacket pocket). It got above 20F and I decided I didn't need my heavy jacket and simultaneously forgot to remove my keyfob before doing a load.

It was in there for about an hour and I found it in standing water at the bottom of the washing machine (it worked its way out of the pocket).

It was in its neoprene sleeve (abstract ocean blue). I pulled it out and initiated electronics CPR (dried it out and stuff it in a 25 lb sack of the world's finest electronics drying medium (organic Basmati rice)). I left it for 43 hours. I then tested it and its been working fine for 3 days now.

I think the internals of the unit stayed dry (I didn't have the heart to open it prior to the 43 hour dry session). Anyways, they make these fobs really well.

Hopefully no one does anything stupid like me but also don't give up hope right away. Also it is likely the sleeve helped keep it drier, so consider spending the <$10 to get one instead of the skinny black Tesla one or nude.

And Tesla also doesn't charge too much (respectively) for new keys. I think they're around $175 compared to $350-$400 from other car makers.

Still that would be an expensive clothes wash if it needed to be replaced. I'm fortunte that mine stays in an inside pocket in my purse whereas hubby has to put it in his jeans pocket or jacket pocket. We're pretty good about always checking our pockets before doing laundry though.

Reactions: croman
If you do end up soaking one do water gets in to the internals, don't just dry it out... that tends to leave the mineral/chlorine residure behind.

Soak them in alcohol then blow them out (through the battery compartment) several times. then dry them out.

Alcohol won't damage them, and flushes the residue out. Resurrected my fob after it went in the pool the second time...

• Helpful
Ha! I've done it twice. Fortunately I also used the Abstract Ocean fob pockets (silicone glow in the dark) and the fobs survived both trips. It now stays on my keychain.

Twice! That's incredible.

Wow you guys either have great luck or are gooder drier outer guys than I am; I washed fob and tried everything, alcohol, hair dried the crap out of it, performed CPR and attached AED and left in a warm spot; unfortunately DOA :oops:

Sorry to hear.

I googled: tesla fob washing machine and found you guys! I too, sadly, washed my fob. I have now ordered two Abstract Ocean fob pockets. Thanks for the tip! BTW, my fob works if i push the top but so far does not do proximity recognition. We’ll see in the AM. Thank goodness the dryer had a dryer sheet - now no static cling and mine, too, smells nice! Thanks again!

• Funny
I googled: tesla fob washing machine and found you guys! I too, sadly, washed my fob. I have now ordered two Abstract Ocean fob pockets. Thanks for the tip! BTW, my fob works if i push the top but so far does not do proximity recognition. We’ll see in the AM. Thank goodness the dryer had a dryer sheet - now no static cling and mine, too, smells nice! Thanks again!

You'll be ok I think. I've unfortunately done it 3 times total and my fob still works great. They really make them well and the fob holder is very useful apart from protection. If your proximity doesn't get restored talk to a service tech and get their thoughts because the fob partially functions. Good luck!