Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Obsessive Car Wash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

davidmc

May 20, 2019
Leicester
Ok, after seeing @Roy W. shiny red car i have now got a new routine that i thought i would share and thought i would detail this below.

NOTE - This is not using a polishing machine or applying Ceramic coatings & the like.

Car Cleaning (The DMC way)

1. Jetwash/hose pipe car with clean water to rinse any loose contaminates off

2. Pre-wash or Snow foam - Im using Valet Pro Citrus Pre Wash. Add into a spray bottle (or Pump version) 1:8 mix and squirt all over car. Let it sit for 5-10mins. - Valet Pro Citrus Pre Wash

At this point you can clean the wheels with a soft wheel brush and shampoo

3. Jet wash off Pre wash/Snow foam

4. 2 Bucket wash car - 1 bucket with shampoo of choice, and the other just plain water. Wash with a nice soft wool/microfiber wash mitt, and then rinse and shake mitt in clean water before dipping back into shampoo. (You can use a clean slate shampoo to get all types of waxes, sealants off before you re-apply such as - Chemical Guys Clean Slate Shampoo)

5. Jetwash car after washing

6. Clay Bar with Lube/water (Your choice if you want to do this step) - Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit (Full kit) Or the cheat way is to use a clay bar with your shampoo water bucket. You need to keep the clay wet

7. Jetwash car after claying

7A - Forgot - Dry the car with a BIG FLUFFY towel - Auto Finesse Aqua Deluxe Drying Towel

8. Polishing - Loads of different ways, but im using a product @Roy W. uses and gives great results - Autoglym Super Resin Polish - Autoglym Super Resin Polish 500ml | Halfords UK - This has fillers in it which hides/fills in the swirls etc (It won't hide scratches or chips) - You can also put on multiple layers - allow around 5mins per layer and no more that 4 as its a waste after that. Wipe on, leave a little time, then wipe/buff off.

9. Added Protection to the Resin Polish - This one is new to me, so i only bought a tin today but i have heard/read it gives great results. Soft99 New Fusso Coat Dark (there is a Light version for lighter colours) - Soft99 New Fusso Coat Dark / Soft99 New Fusso Coat Light
Again this product can last upto 12 months (reality is around 6-9) - This product is a wipe on, leave for 5-10mins, then wipe off.

Wheels

After washing the tyres and wheels you can apply the Fusso to the wheels to give them protection.

Tyres - use a decent tyre dressing - I am using Autoglym, but I'm not liking it so just using it up at the moment. This - Autoglym Instant Tyre Dressing 500ml | Halfords UK

Front Screen (Water repellent layer)

Front Windshield - (Best, but painful to apply - lasted me 4months) GTechniq Smart Glass (Clean Glass with a glass polish, Then apply G1, 3nr layers applying each one approx every 15mins. Then G2 to remove residue. - Gtechniq G1 ClearVision Smart Glass 15ml (Note - its a small bottle and will only do 3 layers on your front screen and 1 layer on the a part of the rear screen)

(Easiest to apply but less durable 2-4 months) - Soft99 Ultra Glaco - roll/wipe it on like an underarm deodorant, let it haze, wipe off with a clean micro cloth.

You can also apply the Fusso wax (listed above) instead of the above on the screen - wipe on, let it haze so when your finger does not smudge the wax but moves it, then its ready to buff off with a cloth.

Mirrors & Rear Camera (Water repellent layer)

Its a pain that the rear camera keeps getting dirty so im trying this (also used on my mirrors) - Soft99 Glaco Mirror Coat Zero

Note - All products listed above can of course, be your favourites instead. And the shop i used is based in Derby (no affiliation with me)

Also make sure you have packets/loads of decent Microfiber cloths and not the cheap ones from B&Q or Screwfix!

Your welcome :D

Have fun :)

Comprehensive or what! :D

I think we all must have more money than sense with these cars... :rolleyes:

Mine's filthy at the moment, what with all the wet weather and a niggling problem with my back.
My wife complained, wishing that i would clean the kitchen and Bathroom as well as the car! :/

Not sure if you have been to the Shop N Shine near town @Roy W. ? Great selection there (Caution if you do go - drive the long way around the block of units as the short way in is pothole heaven!)

Reactions: Roy W.
Blimey! That's why I went with PPF and 'Halo' ceramic on top to avoid most of that. I still use a hose and two-bucket wash, Oh and I have the same big fluffy drying towel!

I go a couple of steps further with the missus's car periodically, good quality polishes and Gyeon Wet Coat added into the mix there.

Problem is, they look great for approximately 20 minutes until you drive 'em again! I do a fair bit of mountain biking up in the Derbyshire hills and the car looks nearly as bad as the bike after that! Roll on summer.

Reactions: Roy W.
My wife complained, wishing that i would clean the kitchen and Bathroom as well as the car! :/

Not sure if you have been to the Shop N Shine near town @Roy W. ? Great selection there (Caution if you do go - drive the long way around the block of units as the short way in is pothole heaven!)
No, I've not tried Shop 'n' Shine, I'll take a look.

My preferred shop for Autoglym stuff is GJ's in Alfreton. They sell a great range, and even have the 5 litre containers of the Autoglym Pro products. Prices are much better than online or places like Halfords too.

Reactions: Jez_GB and davidmc
Or you could just clean it once per week using ONR in 15 mins - keeping your water, chemical and personal time usage to a reasonable level knowing its going to get dirty soon.
I wash mine but as you say its not worth spending too long this time of year especially if you live somewhere rural and do a few miles. Takes 2 days max for mine to be filthy again

Ok, after seeing @Roy W. shiny red car i have now got a new routine that i thought i would share and thought i would detail this below.

NOTE - This is not using a polishing machine or applying Ceramic coatings & the like.

2. Pre-wash or Snow foam - Im using Valet Pro Citrus Pre Wash. Add into a spray bottle (or Pump version) 1:8 mix and squirt all over car. Let it sit for 5-10mins. - Valet Pro Citrus Pre Wash

4. 2 Bucket wash car - 1 bucket with shampoo of choice, and the other just plain water. Wash with a nice soft wool/microfiber wash mitt, and then rinse and shake mitt in clean water before dipping back into shampoo. (You can use a clean slate shampoo to get all types of waxes, sealants off before you re-apply such as - Chemical Guys Clean Slate Shampoo)

6. Clay Bar with Lube/water (Your choice if you want to do this step) - Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit (Full kit) Or the cheat way is to use a clay bar with your shampoo water bucket. You need to keep the clay wet

7A - Forgot - Dry the car with a BIG FLUFFY towel - Auto Finesse Aqua Deluxe Drying Towel

8. Polishing - Loads of different ways, but im using a product @Roy W. uses and gives great results - Autoglym Super Resin Polish - Autoglym Super Resin Polish 500ml | Halfords UK - This has fillers in it which hides/fills in the swirls etc (It won't hide scratches or chips) - You can also put on multiple layers - allow around 5mins per layer and no more that 4 as its a waste after that. Wipe on, leave a little time, then wipe/buff off.

9. Added Protection to the Resin Polish - This one is new to me, so i only bought a tin today but i have heard/read it gives great results. Soft99 New Fusso Coat Dark (there is a Light version for lighter colours) - Soft99 New Fusso Coat Dark / Soft99 New Fusso Coat Light
Again this product can last upto 12 months (reality is around 6-9) - This product is a wipe on, leave for 5-10mins, then wipe off.

Wheels

After washing the tyres and wheels you can apply the Fusso to the wheels to give them protection.

Tyres - use a decent tyre dressing - I am using Autoglym, but I'm not liking it so just using it up at the moment. This - Autoglym Instant Tyre Dressing 500ml | Halfords UK

Front Windshield - (Best, but painful to apply - lasted me 4months) GTechniq Smart Glass (Clean Glass with a glass polish, Then apply G1, 3nr layers applying each one approx every 15mins. Then G2 to remove residue. - Gtechniq G1 ClearVision Smart Glass 15ml (Note - its a small bottle and will only do 3 layers on your front screen and 1 layer on the a part of the rear screen)

(Easiest to apply but less durable 2-4 months) - Soft99 Ultra Glaco - roll/wipe it on like an underarm deodorant, let it haze, wipe off with a clean micro cloth.

You can also apply the Fusso wax (listed above) instead of the above on the screen - wipe on, let it haze so when your finger does not smudge the wax but moves it, then its ready to buff off with a cloth.

Its a pain that the rear camera keeps getting dirty so im trying this (also used on my mirrors) - Soft99 Glaco Mirror Coat Zero

Note - All products listed above can of course, be your favourites instead. And the shop i used is based in Derby (no affiliation with me)

Also make sure you have packets/loads of decent Microfiber cloths and not the cheap ones from B&Q or Screwfix!

Let me know when you are selling your car :eek:;)

Oh my! I haven’t washed a car at home for over 30 years. A trip to a hand car wash (run by our Eastern European friends) and a valet every six months or so does it for me. I clearly have no pride in the appearance of my car, but I think life is too short to bone oxtails.

Clay bar is not something you should use every wash, in fact it's only really good if you're planning on stripping everything (wax, sealant etc) off. It's essentially super fine sand paper in the sense that it will slightly mar the paint as it removes contaminants. You should machine polish after claying which is certainly not something you would or should do every wash.

SRP is a good polish, but it's more of a filler. It's meant for hand use and works well at hiding (but not fixing) swirls.

Wheels

How many hours start to finish???!