TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Keyless entry using iPhone issues

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by plasmo, Aug 31, 2018.

1. plasmo

plasmo Member

I took delivery of my Model 3 two days ago and thought that one of the coolest features was how you could walk up to the car with your iPhone in your pocket and enter the car.

Have had several instances where I couldn’t enter the car (and one time with the wife which lost me some points) with the phone in the pocket.
    Bluetooth was on, and the only way to finally enable entry (other than taking out the key card from my wallet) was to open up the Tesla app and allow the app to “wake up” the Model 3.

Is this normal? I would like a more reliable experience!

Attached Files:

2. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Yes! That's the best-kept secret that I didn't know.

Phone wants to conserve its battery so it wants to put as many apps to sleep as possible.

That is opposite from a 24/7 reliable Model S and X fobs!

I think Tesla has been trying to solve the problem of sleeping cell phones!

On the other hand, please send Tesla a note that you are willing to buy a reliable fob if they can produce it and not an unpredictable cell phone app that could go to sleep at any time!

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  3. GuyDude

GuyDude Member

Phone needs to be in your front pocket for it to work 98% of the time.

iPhone X works for me 98% of the time with no issues when in my front pocket. I’ve had the car since March....

4. plasmo

plasmo Member

When frigid Chicago weather comes, I'm NOT going to be happy taking off my gloves, to fumble around my pocket to pull out my phone, open the app, and then wait for the "waking up Telsa 3" to occur...

5. stayfocus18

stayfocus18 Member

First day and twice so far I've had issues with the door not unlocking... I have iPhone 8+

6. Perry

Perry Member

Does Android work any better?

7. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Are the existing threads on this topic not good enough? Dozens if not hundreds of posts over several months discussing every aspect of this problem.

• Love x 3
  8. Ejl80

Ejl80 Supporting Member

In fairness, almost all the threads are about Android phones... but no one on this forum likes to search. It is terrible.

OP... do you have background app refresh turned on for the Tesla app?

9. BeanoBob

BeanoBob Member

No don't do that. Instead pull out your phone indoors, click on the CLIMATE icon, tap TURN ON, then tap the lock icon. Then go out in the cold to your nice warm car.

10. plasmo

plasmo Member

No, I forgot about this feature, and will enable background app refresh. Hopefully I won't end up with battery drain!

and yes, I did search & checked posts before posting... I guess i didn't put in correct search words to find anything

11. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

Excellent idea!

Still, it's not as reliable as a fob. I have had a Tesla fob since 2012 and I never had to take it out to unlock the car.

I prefer cell phone is a nice backup but for reliability, I still prefer a fob.

12. Gavyne

Gavyne Member

Was the phone in your back pocket? Your body can actually block bluetooth signal because it contains a lot of water, and bluetooth does not go through water. Try to have your phone in your front pocket.

Also I use airpods with my iphone a lot (it uses bluetooth). One time an app (youtube music) was stuck, and it caused the bluetooth to not work properly. I had just taken the airpods out of my ears, but the app was stuck on the screen. Your bluetooth has to work in order for the phone key to function.

It's not about opening the Tesla app and waking the car up. It's more about you solving the bluetooth issue with your phone.

13. b_ack51

b_ack51 Member

No problem using iPhone X

14. dusdev

dusdev Member

Elon, we need a fob!!!! Maybe we can get Consumer Reports to get on this. They called out this flaw in their original review and there was indications Tesla would make it right.

• Like x 1
  15. Tam

Tam Well-Known Member

After Model S came out, people were asking for cell phone as a key!

I did not have any objection until now as I learn that cell phone wants to go to sleep to conserve its battery:

Will Your Smartphone Replace Your Car Key?

16. Antarius

Antarius Member

Why not? Pull your phone out 10 minutes before you go out inTo the frigid weather so that your car is not only woken up, but so that it isn’t frigid at all, but nice and toasty inside the car?

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Exactly. This thread probably should be merged into an existing one like Phone as Key Issues.

18. Ejl80

Ejl80 Supporting Member

I suspect once you turn that on it’ll all be good.

19. plasmo

plasmo Member

Thanks for providing the link to the other thread-
    yes mods feel free to merge this thread. I didn't see the other one.

Update today:
    I believe I figured out the primary reason why my iPhone X won't reliably open my Model 3: I have multiple Teslas on my Tesla App.

• I carry my iPhone X in my front pocket, and
    • enabled background app refresh for the App, and
    • made sure that the Telsa app was running....but *still* today could not open my Model 3 while holding the iPhone in my hand.

I noticed when the App has the Model 3 car showing, everything works fine using the iPhone.
    BUT I also drive my wife's Model X a lot, and sometimes have the app showing the Model X. If the Tesla app is running in the background, but the Model 3 is not showing,.... the Model 3 won't wake up. (it woke up when I swiped the car to the correct car).

IMG_E2163[1].JPG

20. Rick M

Rick M Member

Iphone SE will work about 80% of the time - always front pocket or holding in hand. The most frustrating is that when I use the app to finally unlock doors, I still can’t drive off and it says “use keycard”. I’ve been lucky a few times turning Bluetooth on and off on phone but of course if it’s raining or you’re busy, the steps required seem to take forever.