Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

KFC Goulburn fast charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Screenshot_20230407-174427.png

Noticed this one on plugshare. Any guesses for the network provider?

Interesting. Poster says no network stickers and only seemingly a single dual CCS charger.

Maybe part of the NRMA Arena funding?

I'm excited for that - not because it is at a KFC, but more that it is a Kempower charger of that style that I like and I want to try it! Having most of the workings in a separate shared cabinet, then just having a relatively small/simple charging post is a great design (like the Superchargers have too), plus from what I have seen the UI on the Kempower chargers is very good, and being able to scan a QR code during the session to be able to watch it from any phone (ie without needing an app) is an excellent feature if they choose to enable it here.

I'd be happier for the longevity of the charging post if it had a bollard - or some sort of tank trap - in front of it to defend it from accidental (or deliberate) damage...

Is this the first Chargefox site that isn't Tritium?
No. Engie (who use Chargefox for billing) have already rolled out Kempower, ABB and Phihong.

And as above Chargefox (now I guess RACV) had some 350kW ABB machines, and also a handful of Delta 25kW units around.

And more recently some Ocular DC machines with Newcastle and Adelaide councils.
And Gippsland Council is trying a Sinexcel unit.

So quite a variety out there.

See

• Informative
Reactions: Chuq
Do we have any idea who owns the chargers at this site yet?
I don't think so. May be known when further charger wraps/stickers/markings are done.

Interesting the site there is owned by a KFC franchisee that is trying to offload the other half of the site there. Apparently they had to join two allotments to be able to get DA approval to ensure that required drainage works which would impact both sites were performed at the same time with one DA. Now that they have the work done there is a further DA to split the allotment back into two lots. Cannot see any indication of the result of this second DA.

The Kempower chargers of this thread are in the KFC franchisee part of the proposed lot separation.

The second lot would be a great site, close to Hume highway, for a 26 stall supercharger, the current number of parking spaces in the lot. And would have enough space site space to almost triple that capacity.

1692060636712.png

1692060750277.png

1692060771781.png

Reference: https://www.goulburn.nsw.gov.au/fil...e_179-183-hume-street-goulburn_20220927-2.pdf

In my experience the AC chargers, of all brands, are frequently busted.

The 25kW DC chargers are often busted. The ABB chargers are often busted. The Tesla Superchargers are generally fine, all the rest I haven't seen enough of to judge yet.

Very interesting to see the high volume of Chargefox branding. I guess not owning the site doesn't necessarily mean the same thing as not having signs up everywhere.

To add on to other replies - depending on your definition of "Chargefox site" you could include Kempower units on the WA EV Network, RAA Charge network, and Electric Highway Tasmania network as "Chargefox non-Tritium" sites.

Interesting the site there is owned by a KFC franchisee that is trying to offload the other half of the site there. Apparently they had to join two allotments to be able to get DA approval to ensure that required drainage works which would impact both sites were performed at the same time with one DA. Now that they have the work done there is a further DA to split the allotment back into two lots. Cannot see any indication of the result of this second DA.

The Kempower chargers of this thread are in the KFC franchisee part of the proposed lot separation.

The second lot would be a great site, close to Hume highway, for a 26 stall supercharger, the current number of parking spaces in the lot. And would have enough space site space to almost triple that capacity.
This is the kind of thorough analysis that you can't get anywhere else! :)

Do you suggest a supercharger for any particular reason? The weird shape and lack of suitability for any other purpose? Is there a substation nearby? Certainly a good candidate - plenty of other food options/services in close proximity as well.

This is the kind of thorough analysis that you can't get anywhere else! :)

Do you suggest a supercharger for any particular reason? The weird shape and lack of suitability for any other purpose? Is there a substation nearby? Certainly a good candidate - plenty of other food options/services in close proximity as well.
Wishful thinking. And nobody else would seem to be ready to build such a large EV charging site. More likely it will be bought and then leased to some other fast food location.

There is easy access to the 33kV industrial supply line going through the area,
1692083196263.png

1692083472856.png

There is only a couple of 500kVA pole transformers there now, but Tesla almost as standard now will need to install their own kiosk substation.

Actually looking at the KFC side,
1692083607134.png

The single 500kVA transformer serving 4 premises is possibly what is holding up the Kempower install at KFC.

(Further note:
1692084591690.png

The winter max forecast load looks to be only 9.5/36MVA on the Goulburn 133/33 supply line. So looks to be plenty of capacity for larger supercharger site.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Chuq and Hairyman
Very interesting to see the high volume of Chargefox branding. I guess not owning the site doesn't necessarily mean the same thing as not having signs up everywhere.

Chargefox needs to decide what they want to be. A billing backend only, or a charging provider.

They are happy to slap their stickers on everything, but then when people complain to them that "their" charger is down it's all "this is not our charger, contact the owner".