Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Kids and the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Mods, feel free to move)

While I get the expected 1 or 2 daily q and a session from a curious public, as in adult public; what I did not expect was kids.

Every day, when I drive past kids, ages about 10-18?, they are the most physically drawn to the car. When a school bus lets out, and they hang in small groups, they know what Tesla is or maybe they know it's a brand they're unfamiliar with but based on the their facial expressions, I would say they know Tesla, and they, like us, have just seen one in the wild! Sighting!

How were kids exposed to it?

While I get the expected 1 or 2 daily q and a session from a curious public, as in adult public; what I did not expect was kids.

Every day, when I drive past kids, ages about 10-18?, they are the most physically drawn to the car. When a school bus lets out, and they hang in small groups, they know what Tesla is or maybe they know it's a brand they're unfamiliar with but based on the their facial expressions, I would say they know Tesla, and they, like us, have just seen one in the wild! Sighting!

Kids like cars, they dream of when they get to drive a car, they imagine what their first car might be (usually it's not what they wished for). Plus the car just plain looks awesome. Most of the teens I've been around are not that familiar.

I think this is a KEY group we need to "witness" to on EVs, if they think it's cool they won't come into the auto buying experience with the preconceived notions that so many of us grew up with about "needing" to be able to drive across the country on a moments notice or that a noisy engine means speed and power and that EVs are some whimpy toy for nerds. These are the guys that will change things, we're just the ones to lure them into the fold!

There needs to be a bedroom/dorm room sized series of posters of the S for young people to look at and anticipate owning in their future.
The brochures that Tesla has given out in the past fold out to be a decent sized poster. Your local store will usally give you a handful to keep in your car to hand out. That reminds me, Earth Day is coming up, need to get some more brochures.

Shopping malls are big hangout places for kids, so when they walk past a Tesla storefront, they are drawn into it and learn all about the car. It's great marketing to develop brand awareness for that next generation of buyer. Also the kids in the mall who see the car will start tell their parents about it and make them aware of Tesla as well! George B. knows what he's doing with the Tesla retail strategy!

I took my Model S to my daughter's Middle School "Build your own Battery-powered Car" project race day, and the kids absolutely loved the Model S. Many of them knew exactly what it was, and were thrilled to see one, including one kid who said his Uncle in California has a red one. Other kids whose parents had Volts or Leafs were familiar with the EV tech, while other kids needed to have it explained that the battery was rechargeable rather than requiring replacement when expended. Most were astounded to see a car with the same propulsion system (battery and induction motor) as the cars they built themselves. And they were *all* enthralled with the touchscreen controls and capabilities. I had just installed the NuShield screen protector on the touchscreen the night before, which may have been my best decision of the week!