Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Koni - Special Active (Red - Formerly FSD) and Sports (Yellow) - Coming Soon for Model 3 and Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: Turns out there was nothing wrong with the Koni Special Actives this entire time!

My rear subframe had a broken bushing that connects to the spring arm:

Broken
IMG_5396.jpeg
Not Broken
IMG_5398.jpeg

Despite going to multiple places for the following:
4 Complete Diagnostics
4 Suspension Changes
8 4-Wheel Alignments
4 New Control Arms
4 New Stabilizer Links
4 New Wheels and Tires
2 Front/Rear Torque Check
∞ Replacement Bolts/Nuts (for entire suspension)

None of the shops could locate the problem and at some point thought I was paranoid. It wasn’t until I went to a trusted local shop that started doing Tesla work did they figure out the problem. The mechanic also said that the rubber bushings on the front and rear stabilizer bars (sway bar) were glued during factory production so there is a constant preload being applied to the suspension when going in a straight line over bumps/dips. Thanks to @SLOspeed over from this thread I advise some of you to trim your bump stops in half and either get a new sway bar (perhaps thicker) with rubber or polyurethane bushings and apply grease around them during the install. I recommend Super Lube Synthetic Grease which has Syncolon®, a form of PTFE (Teflon) for friction/drying resistance. If you decide to stick with the OEM sway bar and mainly want to correct this problem, the bonded rubber can be removed with a utility knife and sandpaper (150 grit > 1000). The replacement bushing part number is:
  • 1111754-00-B (Front)
  • 1044487-00-B (Rear)
The bump stop can be trimmed without having to remove the strut or shock absorber (which can potentially affect alignment) by using the a bespoke zip tie and hair tie method I created. Just be careful not to cut into the pistol rod.

Strut (Front):
IMG_5252.jpeg IMG_5255.jpeg IMG_5258.jpeg

Shock Absorber (Rear):
IMG_5239.jpeg IMG_5240.jpeg IMG_5243.jpeg

Moral of the story is learn something, try to know your car, the basic warranty ended at 50,000 miles, my car has 54,000 miles. Be your own warranty! Aside from people who like to walk, run, bike, public transport, our main method of traveling is by car or plane so for your own safety pay attention to every component within the suspension and don’t trust places like PepBoys, Firestone, or even Tesla Service Center to be observant with your 🤬.

Even after I paid them $200 × 2 for suspension torque checks I learned to do it myself because I was out of ideas of why my suspension was so bumpy and found multiple bolts to be under-torqued specifically the subframe ones that are suppose to be at 95.9 lbs-ft and 121.7 lbs-ft.

IMG_5731.jpeg IMG_5732.jpeg

Not even mentioning the 4 rear control arms which weren’t even corrected or correctly torqued at ride height. We know dealerships make a good amount of money from servicing but this is really no excuse. I will never go to them again.

For those wondering how I solved the problem. Let’s just say I was quoted $1500+ for a new rear subframe and another $1500+ for the installation. They even tried to charge me $155 for another Lower AFT Link (1044451-00-F) that connects to the bushing in question and advised that I should buy two just in case whatever bump that initially broke the bushing could have bent the metal tray/spring arm (Lower AFT Link) on the other side as well, and another $275 for wheel alignment. Do not that I was in no way compensated for their previous negligence.

Finally.. the Koni’s are great. The handling is amazing, the chassis has way less vibrations, the compression and rebound is leaps beyond the stock ones I had previously.. However to prevent Tesla Service Center from blaming my aftermarket dampers I had to switch to a new 2023 Model 3 Performance stock suspension so at this point I am too tired to keep paying a few hundred dollars at a time to switch things back and forth.

I’ve decided to go with either Öhlins or FPX’s from Redwood Motorsports with Swift Grand Touring springs later when I can afford it or make the grandiose decision of going air with OnAir or AirLift Performance. Because of that I am letting my Koni Special Actives go for a fraction of the price ($500). One man’s trash experience can hopefully be another man’s treasured lesson and prevention. 🥃

Last edited:
Nice to know, that after all, the "stock" Koni special active is giving more comfort than OEM.
But I don't understand, why not stick with the Koni's now, when they perform good , and a lot of money spent ?
But thanks for the update. I think I will go with these...

Last edited:
Reactions: Kimmi
Nice to know, that after all, the "stock" Koni special active is giving more comfort than OEM.
But I don't understand, why not stick with the Koni's now, when they perform good , and a lot of money spent ?
But thanks for the update. I think I will go with these...

Because I live in an apartment without a designated parking spot or at least the spots my housemates are given in tandem has a major slope so it’s not as easy changing it myself and having to pay $300-400 for the install is no bueno. That’s already half the cost of the Koni shock absorbers.

Personally for me it’s 90% better than any OEM stock however my 2023 OEM does a little better on initial compression so after having gone through hell I’m quite satisfied with the status quo. I believe the FSD technology used on the 2024 Model 3 has been tuned by Tesla to be even softer so unless I had those in hand or the softer Special Actives made from the German company Reber Reifenhaus, I’m better off saving my dollars for a comfort coilover or air suspension setup. Although those are slightly more comfortable than the out-of-the-box Special Actives, the trade off is giving up some of the handling. Just my two cents, your mileage may vary. You may appreciate the extra handling but for me who has been dealing with this for a long time coming, it’s really not as financially or mentally worthwhile.

Last edited:
Yes. sad to agree there - Øhlins was not the solution I was hoping for. Ultra quality pieces of art, but little improvement on the KW v3s I'm already running on my car. High speed handling is awesome so if you drive fast and or trackdays they may be just the ticket though.

Reactions: LightSaber
@Sweed269 @Kvitravn Redwood's Ohlins that @LightSaber is considering are totally different product from Ohlins R&T.

The issues with Ohlins R&T aren't relevant to the Redwood kits, they're not even based on the R&T. They both use Ohlins DFV parts inside the damper but that's the only commonality. The actual damping/valving, stroke, mounting hardware, springs, etc is all completely different and frankly much better.

Plus there's 3 versions of the Redwood Ohlins to pick from depending how soft or firm you want, vs Ohlins Road & Track which sounds true to its name...very firm and intended for some track use. A Redwood GT kit is going to feel absolutely nothing like the R&T. Even the Performance Sport I have is completely street friendly and not nearly as firm as R&T from what I understand.

@Sweed269 @Kvitravn Redwood's Ohlins that @LightSaber is considering are totally different product from Ohlins R&T.

The issues with Ohlins R&T aren't relevant to the Redwood kits, they're not even based on the R&T. They both use Ohlins DFV parts inside the damper but that's the only commonality. The actual damping/valving, stroke, mounting hardware, springs, etc is all completely different and frankly much better.

Plus there's 3 versions of the Redwood Ohlins to pick from depending how soft or firm you want, vs Ohlins Road & Track which sounds true to its name...very firm and intended for some track use. A Redwood GT kit is going to feel absolutely nothing like the R&T. Even the Performance Sport I have is completely street friendly and not nearly as firm as R&T from what I understand.
So. Basically what I said, redwood ohlins is what you want. I have reverse engineered the suspension and made a spreadsheet of just about ever available option including spring rates and sag at ride height.

2019 model 3 perf, I have had koni actives since around october/november (rear ones were changed little bit earlier) and at same time I changed 18" summer set to 20" winter set so cant say if there is much improvement.. Actual winter time (still goin on..) was very annoying when temps went around -20...-30C, suspension was brutally stiff.. not sure if even worse than with original shocks..
Thanks to this thread next step is to cut little bit from bump stops.. perhaps there is little bit hope left.. and perhaps get LR +22 springs as I drove my friends 2021/12 LR and suspension comfort was really way better than my 2019 perf..

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Dampers get firmer as the temperature drops. New sportier shock start firmer. The konis should feel much better when it warms up. It's not the springs that are uncomfortable, it's hitting the bump stops. If the LR springs keep you off the bump stops they will feel much better.

2019 model 3 perf, I have had koni actives since around october/november (rear ones were changed little bit earlier) and at same time I changed 18" summer set to 20" winter set so cant say if there is much improvement.. Actual winter time (still goin on..) was very annoying when temps went around -20...-30C, suspension was brutally stiff.. not sure if even worse than with original shocks..
Thanks to this thread next step is to cut little bit from bump stops.. perhaps there is little bit hope left.. and perhaps get LR +22 springs as I drove my friends 2021/12 LR and suspension comfort was really way better than my 2019 perf..
@ZeiFin How many miles or km on your Konis so far?

Brand new dampers being extra stiff until they wear in is a thing in my experience. My Redwood Ohlins Performance Sport coilovers were surprisingly firm at first, felt like there was a bit of stiction initially. After a few thousand miles that went away and they've been riding great since. I've read similar reports here about other very reputable brands e.g. MPP KWs.

I haven't noticed firmness difference in cold weather, but it barely touches freezing here, and Ohlins says they have a "temperature correction valve."

Are your Konis adjustable? Have you tried setting them extra soft in the adjustment range? A simple manual adjustment might help a lot, like adjusting tire pressure to keep it in a good range as temperatures change. 🙂

Edit: Also 20" wheels with rubberband thin tire sidewalls are obviously going to make the ride worse than your prior 18" setup. I'm sure you had reasons for selecting 20s but I would reconsider that choice if ride quality is a concern. There are real reasons why it's unusual to run bigger wheels / shorter sidewall for winter.

Wheels/tires and dampers play different roles in ride quality. I run 245/45R18 year round on our M3P no matter if summer or winter/allseason. I think sporty suspension + reasonable sidewall is a better combo than going soft on the suspension just to compensate for excessively short sidewalls.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: LightSaber
@ZeiFin How many miles or km on your Konis so far?

Brand new dampers being extra stiff until they wear in is a thing in my experience. My Redwood Ohlins Performance Sport coilovers were surprisingly firm at first, felt like there was a bit of stiction initially. After a few thousand miles that went away and they've been riding great since. I've read similar reports here about other very reputable brands e.g. MPP KWs.

I haven't noticed firmness difference in cold weather, but it barely touches freezing here, and Ohlins says they have a "temperature correction valve."

Are your Konis adjustable? Have you tried setting them extra soft in the adjustment range? A simple manual adjustment might help a lot, like adjusting tire pressure to keep it in a good range as temperatures change. 🙂

Edit: Also 20" wheels with rubberband thin tire sidewalls are obviously going to make the ride worse than your prior 18" setup. I'm sure you had reasons for selecting 20s but I would reconsider that choice if ride quality is a concern. There are real reasons why it's unusual to run bigger wheels / shorter sidewall for winter.

Wheels/tires and dampers play different roles in ride quality. I run 245/45R18 year round on our M3P no matter if summer or winter/allseason. I think sporty suspension + reasonable sidewall is a better combo than going soft on the suspension just to compensate for excessively short sidewalls.
About 2000 miles now.. yes, 20" winter tires are not optimal but I got them as new set with the car.. after tires are worn I plan to change set to 18".
Koni special active are not adjustable.
I'll make final judgement around May after swapping summer tires and cutting part of bumpstops.

There’s oil/gas inside the shocks that needs time to break in especially if they were left laying down horizontal. Hotter weather also warms them up and may affect viscosity for smoother actuation.

I’m not sure if the 2019 Performance has any height differences compared to Long Range as I recall only the 2021 Performance was 10mm lower which I’ve had and can validate. I previously stated that there wasn’t much of an improvement gaining only 10mm from the 2022 Long Range since the spring rates were nearly the same. The main issue was the bump stops were constantly engaged as Tesla designed them to be too long for the sake of protecting their crappy dampers. The other thing was the rubber bushings that were glued onto the sway bar which caused a preload even when going in a straight line since even mild bumps would lean the car in different diagonal axis’s and engage the sway bar. The fix is to trim the bump stop in half (or 2/5) and cut off the rubber bushing with a utility knife, sand with 150-1000 grit sandpaper, and replace the bushing with the same part # while greasing it. This will remove any sway bar preload and stop the bump stop from always being engaged.

@tm1v2 said a very good point. There’s no point in having nice wheels and tires for performance if the suspension is too squishy. The best place in-between is probably 19” wheels with a suspension that falls between comfort and sporty. That’s either a firmer comfort or a softer sport.

Anyways if these fixes doesn’t do it for you then perhaps it’s time to change out the damper to something softer like the Reber variant, Tein EnduraPro Plus, or UPP Luxury dampers. The dampers are 90% of the problem.

One thing I can say is although the Koni’s were better than stock (for me), the initial compression on them when going over bumps was stiffer than the set of 2023 Performance that I acquired and the rebound was too fast. If the car was heavier it would be perfect (Model Y). Since my M3P weighs 4050LB, something 300-500LB more would fix that. Not to mention the taller ride height.

As for tires I’m currently rocking Michelin MXM4 until they go bad and will be switching to Perelli P ZERO™ AS PLUS 3 as those are said to be more comfortable with better handling and thread wear.

Last edited:
Im not sure if my issues are suspension related or tire related. Probably both. I don't feel the suspension to be overly stiff in my MYP with comfort suspension, but I do feel every imperfection in the road, and jostling while going over large bumps. I hear going wider in the tires smooths out the ride, and shocks with FSD sound compelling. Would wider tires and new shocks be my best bet? Not looking to downsize my wheels.

I just swapped out the stock MYP 21's with 255/275 MPS4 tires to the Gemini 19's with the same 255 MPS4 tires. Both tires set to 41psi cold. The difference is ride comfort is huge. The small high frequency bumps are more muted and the bigger bumps have less of an impact to them.
I also swapped to Ohlins street shocks with 7k front and 11k rear springs. Still working on the setup as I did it last night. I can say that the stock springs are too soft and the dampers are too stiff.

@tom @ eas

Uodate: I finally got to drive a 2024 Y with comfort suspension. Perfect, just deadens the potholes and rough pavement just enough to not rattle my teeth. Love it.

If the Koni Reds do the same or better on the potholes, I'm sold.

September 2021 build Model Y LR dual motor.

(I asked if the later Tesla dampers were available to retrofit to my 2021 Y and they said no, allocated to newer cars first, plus they dont bolt up?)

Anyway, I have a set of Koni Reds in the shopping cart, ready to buy right now, unless I'm missing something?

Reactions: Silverline
@tom @ eas

Uodate: I finally got to drive a 2024 Y with comfort suspension. Perfect, just deadens the potholes and rough pavement just enough to not rattle my teeth. Love it.

If the Koni Reds do the same or better on the potholes, I'm sold.

September 2021 build Model Y LR dual motor.

(I asked if the later Tesla dampers were available to retrofit to my 2021 Y and they said no, allocated to newer cars first, plus they dont bolt up?)

Anyway, I have a set of Koni Reds in the shopping cart, ready to buy right now, unless I'm missing something?
Haven't had a chance to long term drive a MY24 other than just around the block.

Tesla suspension components are very cheap quality, aftermarket will most times always be some sort of upgrade. You really can't go wrong with the Koni pieces as they a reputable brand that's been around for years.

“Anyway, I have a set of Koni Reds in the shopping cart, ready to buy right now, unless I'm missing something?”

Eagerly awaiting your full review! I am close to purchasing, but waiting for more first person observations of how they perform.
I'll let you know. Just hit buy a couple minutes ago, what the heck, cant be worse than the crap on there now.

To be clear, I'd be happy with the new Tesla dampers (comfort suspension). Took an hour demo drive in a 2024 Y, over some really bad roads by our house. It was fine, could still feel the bumps, but not so jarring or teeth rattling. Like you took the sharp edges off the corners of the bumps with a sander. Still felt planted and in control, way better than our 2021, its so harsh it hurts my kidneys.

Last edited: