Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Labor Electric Car FBT discount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A non-article:

The key quote buried in the article: “Labor does not need the Coalition’s support in order to pass laws in the upper house but would have to turn to the Greens and independents to secure 13 votes from the crossbench to legislate the tax breaks” - ergo, the position of the Opposition is irrelevant and there will not be any “Senate standoff”.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
Hey guys, Is there a “smart meter” I could use to monitor how much I’m spending to charge my Tesla at home? This is for novated lease purpose so I could claim my charging cost pre tax. Thank you in advance 🙏
Tesla records all your charging sessions. If you use something like TeslaFi or Teslamate you could identify the location of each charging session and calculate costs accordingly.

Alternatively, the Tesla HPWC keeps record of how much energy has been provided to the vehicle.

It will depend on what your NL company accepts. Mine will only accept a separate utility metered connection.

Reactions: BBGuy
I have been watching (and am currently watching) the MPs discuss the bill in the Federation Chamber.

ALP obviously support it, Independents want to add a caveat that include second hand vehicles up to a certain age and support it, and liberal reckons it will destroy the economy and is only for the wealthy... Whilst some old liberal bloke i think is lost, talking about Australia's take up of roof top solar and wants to talk about fuel excises and fuel taxes instead (I honestly think he might just be in the wrong chamber talking about the wrong topic lol )
I am not really a political person, but hearing whats going on is interesting and the arguments put down by the ALP is compelling, reasonable and common sense.

Leader of the Greens is speaking and supports it, so unless something massive changes on the floor, should pass the senate. My only question is when will it take effect.... 1/7/23 possibly? Immediately? we shall see.

If you want to listen in...
APH Live Feed

Last edited:
Reactions: Vostok
I have been watching (and am currently watching) the MPs discuss the bill in the Federation Chamber.

ALP obviously support it, Independents want to add a caveat that include second hand vehicles up to a certain age and support it, and liberal reckons it will destroy the economy and is only for the wealthy... Whilst some old liberal bloke i think is lost, talking about Australia's take up of roof top solar and wants to talk about fuel excises and fuel taxes instead (I honestly think he might just be in the wrong chamber talking about the wrong topic lol )
I am not really a political person, but hearing whats going on is interesting and the arguments put down by the ALP is compelling, reasonable and common sense.

Leader of the Greens is speaking and supports it, so unless something massive changes on the floor, should pass the senate. My only question is when will it take effect.... 1/7/23 possibly? Immediately? we shall see.

If you want to listen in...
APH Live Feed
I had it playing on my TV last night as well.. my wife called me a boomer! LNP doing what they do in opposition and shitting on everything the government puts forward. I think the bill will pass without much amendment and then if for some reason it has any kind of failure or costs more than projected the LNP will rubbish Labor for a bad policy in the future. I just forgot how drawn out this process can be!!!

Hopefully they resume debate today and it manages a third reading to get to the Senate.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
I had it playing on my TV last night as well.. my wife called me a boomer!

Hahaha mine too! I told her alot rides on this legislation, including my order :p
Hopefully they resume debate today and it manages a third reading to get to the Senate.

Yep, the read is on now. One things for sure - MP's waste so much time talking Bulls@#$% instead of getting to the point.

With the quirk being that some NL companies might only quote once the bill has actually received royal ascend, which earliest would be October 1st

Yep this is my problem, leading company refuse to give a quote based on a bill that hasn’t passed. Which is probs fair enough I suppose.

M3 not likely to arrive before then anyway so I’m sitting tight.

If you have time to wait, great, otherwise there are many NL companies that are happy to quote or even finalize a novated lease without FBT
Of the three NL companies my wife's work let her use, only this one was happy to quote without FBT. They were very prompt and customer service was excellent, just got a (tiny) bit defensive when I asked about the effective interest rate :) Otherwise A+, recommended: Kooya Salary Packaging – Australia's Indigenous owned salary packaging company