Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Labor Electric Car FBT discount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As much as I want this to pass quickly - I don't want to see PHEVs included in the bill at all. I feel like the Greens already compromised significantly with the 43% emissions target that they may force this change if the government wants to pass it. And I honestly thing it's not an unreasonable request.

If it actually saves a significant cost to the program by doing this, it'll either mean this can be extended for longer or they can absolutely use the money to push more charging infrastructure which was one of the oppositions biggest claims on what they would do if they spent lots of money on an EV policy.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
As much as I want this to pass quickly - I don't want to see PHEVs included in the bill at all. I feel like the Greens already compromised significantly with the 43% emissions target that they may force this change if the government wants to pass it. And I honestly thing it's not an unreasonable request.

Also PHEVs are losing sales to BEVs - people know where the future lies.

which was one of the oppositions biggest claims on what they would do if they spent lots of money on an EV policy.

That’s a very, very big “IF🤣🤣

I had a hybrid and really enjoyed it, the instant torque of the electric motor and its reluctance to visit a petrol station was a great starter drug for EVs.

Hybrids have played a great role for the past 20 years to help during the transition period away from ICEs. However even with our lagging EV policy we are at a point where the charging infrastructure and EVs are good enough to outweigh the need to have a compromised PHEV that carries both the weight of the EV and ICE components. The government shouldn't be subsidising PHEVs nor rewarding the manufacturers sitting on their hands whilst not supplying our market with competitive EV offerings.

I had a hybrid and really enjoyed it, the instant torque of the electric motor and its reluctance to visit a petrol station was a great starter drug for EVs.
That's where I'm at now, in fact my Prius C has just received a battery replacement almost right on it's 10th birthday.
What's amazing is the difference that's made, it's acting like a new car.

The plan is to give it another 12 to 24 months and see what EVs are available in my sort of price range by then. Hopefully it's still got some trade in value by then.

That's where I'm at now, in fact my Prius C has just received a battery replacement almost right on it's 10th birthday.
What's amazing is the difference that's made, it's acting like a new car.

The plan is to give it another 12 to 24 months and see what EVs are available in my sort of price range by then. Hopefully it's still got some trade in value by then.

What was the Prius not doing? How many KM and how much for a new battery?

Hi, my first post. Just put in an order for M3 SR.
I have pulled the trigger on purchase largely due to proposed FBT exemption.
My understanding with the FBT exemption that all costs of vehicle will be FBT exempt (Rego, R&M, Insurance, Depn etc). On that basis I will be purchasing though my business and financing over 5 years with a 20% balloon payment at end.
On my preliminary calculations for annual income below $120K the tax saving is approximately $8,600 per year on average for average 13,000KM's per year. I'm still tweeking the numbers and will post spreadsheet shortly with cost estimates for you to check and recommend changes.

Couple of questions.
what rate of interest on finance is realistic - I used 10%
What is average cost of insurance I should use.
How much do tyers cost and how many KM on average before you need to change
What is a realistic cost of servicing each year over 5 years
What are people spending on basic accessories (floor mats, bucket organizers, screen protectors)
if cost of electricity in Perf is $0.273277 per kwh what is formula to us to estimate cost of home charging based on how many km are traveled in the average week.

My understanding with the FBT exemption that all costs of vehicle will be FBT exempt (Rego, R&M, Insurance, Depn etc). On that basis I will be purchasing though my business and financing over 5 years with a 20% balloon payment at end.
On my preliminary calculations for annual income below $120K the tax saving is approximately $8,600 per year on average for average 13,000KM's per year. I'm still tweeking the numbers and will post spreadsheet shortly with cost estimates for you to check and recommend changes.

Couple of questions.
What are people spending on basic accessories (floor mats, bucket organizers, screen protectors)
if cost of electricity in Perf is $0.273277 per kwh what is formula to us to estimate cost of home charging based on how many km are traveled in the average week.

Congrats on pulling the trigger. Firstly, please do fill this out - so you can keep track of your order etc: Order Tracker
It will also give you access to info that will help you (eg estimated delivery times of others, and see who else has ordered the same near the same timeframe etc).

Regarding leasing, a few things to keep in mind.

1) 10% is a good interest estimate, but keep in mind some finance companies are offering as low as 6% and as high as 13%. Depends if your aligned to a lease provider or not since they have deals and preferred suppliers.

2) For my quote, I allocated $1,500 a year spread over equal deductions.

3) Tyres depend on what size you got - but you can find that out by searching a few online tyre stores for your size, multiply it by 4, then divide it equally across the year, based on your pay cycles.

4) I am not sure about servicing, since they arent ICE'd. Perhaps check with Tesla or post here and someone might tell you what they spend.

5) Ahhh accessories... My accessories costs is about $1,500 at the moment and it grows whilst I am waiting. Depends on what you want for it as to how much you need to spend.

6) If you are in a lease, you need to keep some kind of record or receipts. In my situation i dont have any home charging, so i intend on taking the receipts i get from charging stations and forwarding to my lease provider to reimburse. Not sure how your gonna structure yours.

If you can, look into getting aligned to a lease provider - they will do all the hard work for you and manage the lease. They do charge a management fee for it, but the fee is nominal and you dont have to stress about knowing everything about the lease if your doing it on your own.

• Helpful
Reactions: Hairyman

Couple of questions.
Hi @Speedgull welcome.
Most of your questions are better suited to Australian Model 3 Waiting Room forum thread.
In a way I am in similar boat to you with the FBT. I already have a M3 SR+ that I am going to sell once the new M3 LR is about to arrive, and my current M3 as well as the new one will be novated lease.
Interest rates are a bit fluid at current state so will depend on the time you get your car, the rate cannot be locked in for long enough term to ensure you get the specific rate.
My insurance on M3 SR+ has been 1100-1200 per year, however it will depend on your location and a few extra factors.
I have bought 1 set of tires so far was also $1100-1200 for 18' tires, but that will depend on the size and specific tires. My original tires lasted 37k and new ones will probably last more.
In 3 years my whole servicing has been basically 1 set of tires and no other costs.
I bought about 500-800 worth of accessories at first, but ended up not using half of it, so thats a bit of a personal preference.
My power usage has been split, the garage charger is hooked up to controlled load, so currently at $0.1459 kwh, but I also have solar and I have a separate plug from solar that I use with mobile charger over weekends to get free charge at home. Overall cost for 15000km/year has been about additional $400 per year on power costs, rest has been free.

Im hoping there will be news today from parliament if the exemption gets voted in.

It was pretty obvious when the battery was going, you could hear that little engine trying to do more than it was meant to.

I ended up getting a new battery though Dr Hybrid, shipped to Melbourne and installed myself it was about $1500. Just clocked 220,000km.

Thanks for the info, just wondered high high milage Hybrids go. So you think about 200k out of a battery is the go?

Reactions: M@dman
Is it definitely not happening today? The Senate doesn’t adjourn until 8pm, though they have a fair few items before they get to the EV bill.
Possible but not likely I’d say.

Getting bogged down in other things and maybe put at the end of the list because the background work to facilitate it’s passing (with Greens, Pocock etc) may not have been done yet. They need crossbench senators to get it through. Coalition are being the coalition. Just my 5c.