Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Labor Electric Car FBT discount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My question to any other political buffs on here is; once the government accepts the two amendments proposed by the Greens / Pocock, does it then need to go back to the HoR for approval in it's final form?

Yes it does but that will be a formality. The House is sitting next week, 1 Dec is the final day.

A Bill has to pass both houses without amendment for it to be taken to the GG for Assent, whereupon the Bill becomes an Act and it is Law.

looks like it finally passed.. 🥳 🎉

pass.png

Nope - the Bill now needs to pass the House then receive Royal Assent. Can’t call the game when the final whistle hasn’t blown yet 😄

I thought the fact that it got to the senate meant it had already been voted on and passed HoR, just needed senate. Such a waste of time going back again when the amendments make sweet F!@# all change to the bill itself. Thanks for the insight tho Vistok.

This royal assent thing is such a waste of tax. The Govenor signs off on everything without question.
MPs standing up with the same bloody arguments against a bill when yhe last person said the same thing is a waste of taxpayer money. The thing is going to pass because they have the required support in both houses. Come up with one spokesman for the opposition with all the reasons you don't support the bill then STFU.

MPs standing up with the same bloody arguments against a bill when yhe last person said the same thing is a waste of taxpayer money. The thing is going to pass because they have the required support in both houses. Come up with one spokesman for the opposition with all the reasons you don't support the bill then STFU.
They each need an Anti EV video that they can post to their voting base on Facebook.

I thought the fact that it got to the senate meant it had already been voted on and passed HoR, just needed senate. Such a waste of time going back again when the amendments make sweet F!@# all change to the bill itself. Thanks for the insight tho Vistok.

The Bill that was passed by the House is not the same one as the Bill passed by the Senate, since it included 2 amendments not in the original Bill.

There’s no “near enough is good enough” threshold to deem a bill passed by both Houses. They have to be absolutely identical. Just one word changed is enough to make a Bill completely different. For example, what if the Senate inserted the word ”not” into a provision? It could completely reverse whatever is being sought. Which is why the rules are as they are - there has to be no ambiguity that the Bill in its entirety is supported by both Houses.

I don’t think its fair calling the sunsetting of PHEVs and removing plug-in hybrids from Government fleet purchases except in “exceptional circumstances” as making “sweet F!@# all change” to the Bill.

This royal assent thing is such a waste of tax. The Govenor signs off on everything without question.
The withholding of royal assent has been used (rarely) when the government found a problem with a bill after it had been passed by parliament, allowing it to pass a fixed version.

It could also be used in the rare circumstance where the parliament passed a bill the government was not in favour of eg. if many government members were absent, or crossed the floor or similar.

It could also be used in the rare circumstance where the parliament passed a bill the government was not in favour of eg. if many government members were absent, or crossed the floor or similar.
isnt that the point of elections and majorities though? If you have a slim margin government than all have to do their job and attend parliament.
But given the rarity of these events, it seems crazy to have a 4th tier GG federally and at most states for an event that may occur rarely, and could be solved with other methods.

isnt that the point of elections and majorities though? If you have a slim margin government than all have to do their job and attend parliament.
But given the rarity of these events, it seems crazy to have a 4th tier GG federally and at most states for an event that may occur rarely, and could be solved with other methods.
Yea, well, while the Queen was still around, the royal ascent was more of a nod to our monarchy out of respect for the Queen, but now, I would assume it might be time for another referendum to see if we want to ditch that monarchy as the new monarch does not hold same respect. That would cause an overhaul of the government procedures and possibly could speed up some of the processes and also re-route some of the tax funds to other avenues. Though depending on who does the overhaul, it could get worse also...

Either way the current government does have enough support to get this EV FBT exemption through and legislated, and if it gets royal ascent before 1st of April next year, it does apply from 1st July 2022 as they have already written into it the back dated start. As FBT year starts from 1st of April, if it is legislated by then, the only drag will be to explain to the Novated Lease company that this is a law that's passed the government already, so they should do a quote where they leave the FBT payment as a lump sum to the end of FBT year and if law gets finalized by then, the payment will not be needed. It would be a small risk that law drags feet and have to make that payment, that should get back later once it does get legislated.

Reactions: AussieOwner
That tier is much larger than just the governor / governor-general - it's the entire Executive branch of government: ministers of state that direct the various departments, can make delegated legislation / regulations and appoint office holders. This stuff is done separately from parliament and is what it really means to be "in government" (although the parliament has ultimate oversight). It's an artefact of our constitutional monarchy that this power is notionally exercised by the crown on advice.

Great now I just want Tesla to allow me to nominate my leasing company on the paper work, which they don't allow/can't do.

Well they could for my Model Y reservation, I could do it through the website, But they can't do it for a model 3 Long range.. Its all but impossible. They cancelled my model Y reservation but were unable to bring the details over onto my model 3 reservation..

Is anyone else having this problem?